Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time XL BGE owner - couple of questions

Options
After much back and forth I finally pulled the trigger on an egg.  I found a local hardware store that was hosting a rib competition and had demo eggs for sale afterwards.  I managed to get my name down for the last XL they had and I get to pick it up on Sunday.  Im super excited!  Already bought lump, hickory wood, and apple wood as well as some other stuff I thought I might need to dive right in.

Here's my questions....

The egg comes with a bunch of accessories including the nest.  I plan on building a table this summer, but until then I'll be using the nest.  I'd like to put the egg on my deck and Im a little worried about the weight.  Not from a 'can it' support it' perspective but from a 'dent the wood' side of things.  My deck is cedar and I just refinished it last summer and I've found out that cedar is pretty soft wood.  So Im wondering if the egg nest wheels or legs will sink into the wood or at least leave a dent or mark.  Should I put down something for the legs or wheels to sit on?  A sheet of wood or something?

Are there any items you guys recommend having for day 1?  The demo unit comes with a bunch of accessories and the plate setter etc.  So I think Im good there.  I already bought lump and wood for smoking.  Picked up a starter chimney and a rib rack as well.  Anything you guys wish you would have had day 1?

Thanks!  Looking forward to being a part of this awesome community!

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think you'll have things covered to start.  I'd hold off on making any further purchases until you have a few cooks under your belt.  It's amazing what you can do with balls of foil and a couple fire bricks.

And welcome!!!  Your world is about to change for the better!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Lotsa things come to mind, but don't get caught short on the first day of your very first cook. (1) Welding gloves, HDAF, Lotsa Paper Towels.

Good Luck ... and Welcome, You are now home.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have an XL in a nest on a concrete patio, so I can't answer if it will dent it.  I wouldn't think so, but they do make grilling mats that go under grills.  I found this online at Home depot.  http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Grills-Grill-Accessories-Accessories-Grill-Mats-Pads/N-5yc1vZbxc2

Not sure you need the starter chimney with the egg.  I have one I use for Weber Smokey Mountain and haven't used it in over a year.  Starter stick or Weber cubes are easier to use and less chance of getting burned.  Some people use weed burners to start their eggs and to get my XL up to temp faster after I have it going for about 10 minutes I use a leave blower to get it hotter faster.

One tool you really need is a quick read thermometer, like a ThermoPop or Thermopen.  They are sold be Thermoworks.  Here is their website.  The Pop is like $22 and the Pen around $96.  The difference is the Pen will give you a reading in about 2 seconds over 5 or 6 on the Pop.  I went with the Pop to save money.

What are you planning for you first cook?  Being that it was used in a rib contest it should be pretty good to go.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I use a chimney with my XL and light it with paper towels that have been sprayed with cooking oil.  Lots of opinions on lighting, some like cubes, some like chimneys, some like paper towels w/oil just stuffed into the lump, weedburners, blowtorches, heat guns, etc.  Find what you like.

+1 on welding gloves and thermometer, get a loooong set of tongs as well.

Not sure how much the bbq mats cost, but I would recommend going that route.  I too have a cedar deck, but my egg is below that on concrete.  I think it's smart to protect the deck from the wheels and from sparks.  Too many stories about deck fires.  You will have sparks jump out from time to time, peace of mind is worth it.
  • boomchke
    boomchke Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for the comments and the welcomes! 

I think I'll just see if I think the wheels or legs are thick enough that I wont dent.  I dont plan on moving it too much so maybe I could just lay something down for it to sit on??

As for the chimney, I've been watching a ton of videos on cooking with the egg and it seemed like a lot of people used the chimney with smaller lump for quicker/hotter burns.  Like if I just want to sear some steaks etc.  I also bought some fire match sticks starters for lighting it.  

I guess we'll play it by ear and see how things go for the first couple cooks.  Hard not to get over excited about this though but I should probably hold off on buying anything else until I know what I need from actually using it.  

Forgot to mention I bought an igrill2 (temp) and some cooking/heat gloves for it as well.  
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

One tool you really need is a quick read thermometer, like a ThermoPop or Thermopen.  They are sold be Thermoworks.  Here is their website.  The Pop is like $22 and the Pen around $96.  The difference is the Pen will give you a reading in about 2 seconds over 5 or 6 on the Pop.  I went with the Pop to save money.

What he says.  ^^^
     A good themometer is the #1 tool in my book, especially if you do a lot of grilling.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Thermapen is one of the best overall purchases you can make with the egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Been awhile since I posted the below but there may be some info you can use:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/ Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/  

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    boomchke said:
    Thanks for the comments and the welcomes! 

I think I'll just see if I think the wheels or legs are thick enough that I wont dent.  I dont plan on moving it too much so maybe I could just lay something down for it to sit on??

As for the chimney, I've been watching a ton of videos on cooking with the egg and it seemed like a lot of people used the chimney with smaller lump for quicker/hotter burns.  Like if I just want to sear some steaks etc.  I also bought some fire match sticks starters for lighting it.  

I guess we'll play it by ear and see how things go for the first couple cooks.  Hard not to get over excited about this though but I should probably hold off on buying anything else until I know what I need from actually using it.  

Forgot to mention I bought an igrill2 (temp) and some cooking/heat gloves for it as well.  
    I for got to say welcome and you may have changed my mine on the chimney with this post.  I may try it tonight to see how it works.  If it can get the XL up and going faster then it is worth it.  Sorry to steer you away from it. Long welding gloves and long tongs help a lot.  Especially if you are taking the plate setter in and out when lit.

Enjoy the XL I know I do mine.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    Congrats on the XL purchase!  You will not regret it.  I think the XL is the best option.  

Recommendation... When I bought my XL egg, I purchased a nest..  I built a table out of cedar 2 months later...(Well, my friend built the table and I handed him nails and screws while we got drunk and used power tools)....Anyway, I ended up bringing my nest back to the dealer for store credit 2 months after I purchased it.  (Just keep it in great shape)  I think they charged me a 10% restock fee but to me, I thought of that money as a 2 month rental fee.  I used the rest of the credit to buy lump.  

They get 10%, get to resell it, and I got lump, which I would use anyway..  Plus, the dealer still realized all the revenue from the initial purchase.  Win, win.

As for the accessories, I think you are off to a good start.  Add a thermapen and a second rack.

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • boomchke
    boomchke Posts: 37
    Options
    Great info.  Thanks for all the input!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do have to say a thermapen (or other quick read thermometer) is a must.  Definitely my most used accessory. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    +1 on the Thermapen! If you haven't already, get used to cooking to internal temp rather than time. My results were so much better once I figured this out!

Have fun with your XL!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    From a safety perspective when I lived in a rented house with a deck, I went to Lowes/HD and purchased a 5x3 sheet of hardyback board used for tile and put it under the egg. This served as a barrier should I drop a hot coal or want to pull the PS out mid-cook - it now has somewhere to go, it could also serve as a deck-protector if you think the weight may "dent" it.  uh, no.

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Welcome to the lunacy...

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    If you don't already have one, get a spare freezer. You will be purchasing more meat than you ever imagined. LOL
    Congrats in the purchase, you will enjoy the XL. Eventually, you will will want a smaller egg for weeknight cooks. MINI MAX is great for that.
    Welcome to the club!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset