Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef/Chorizo burgers - pics

Options
Following responses to a previous thread, I decided to mix ground Chorizo with beef for tonight's burger.

Started out with a pound of chuck and 1/2 lb of home made smoked chorizo.  Ground together with the KA, and made into 3 half lb patties.  The original plan was to top them with pepperjack cheese, but my son came up with a recipe from food network and we made a last minute change.  Whipped up a sauce with sauteed onions, roasted red peppers, ranch dressing, Paprika, and Saffron, pureed with an immersion blender.  Grilled burgers were topped with the sauce, more sauteed onions, and grated Manchego cheese, served on lightly grilled rolls.  Sweet corn and chips on the side, great meal!  will make this again.

Sorry but the pics are out of order.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    That sounds delicious!
    More details on your home-made chorizo, please; is it Mexican or Portuguese style?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'm with @Botch Would like more details on that chorizo. I'm guessing Portuguese because you said it was smoked? You think you could use raw Mexican? I'd like to give that a try.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Wow really cool idea . . . chorizo makes me happy.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed response @Botch and @Griffin, today has been pretty crazy.

The Chorizo was Mexican Chorizo, the recipe was from Ruhlman's Charcuterie, I followed it exactly.  Smoking it was my idea.  This was the first Chorizo I made, but I always smoked any fresh Chorizo I bought at the butcher shop, so it seemed like the way to go.

As for using raw sausage, I made bacon burgers a couple of weeks ago with ground bacon in the beef, and realized I had to cook to more than medium rare.   Likewise, if you use fresh sausage, you probably need to cook beyond medium rare.  Several on this forum suggested using cooked sausage which led to this approach.  

For what it is worth, the Ruhlman recipe called for red wine vinegar, I thought it was a bit acidic, I will probably use just wine (or maybe double the tequila) for the next go.  I still have several packages in the freezer though so it will be a while.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY