Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meat grinder

Options
mrw123
mrw123 Posts: 202
http://smokehousechef.com/the-original-stainless-steel-meat-grinder-attachment-for-kitchenaid-mixer-plus-sausage-stuffing-kit/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

Anyone have one of these? 

I'd love to get a grinder and I'd love to not have to take up more counter/storage space. An attachment for my mixer would be convenient.

thanks.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have the plastic Kitchenaid grinder.  Works fine.  I imagine that one is more durable, not faster since the HP and speed of the mixer do the work.   I've ground hundreds of pounds of meat though it.
    Options
    +1 on the Kitchenaid grinder. Works perfectly. Plus the versatility of the mixer itself is great. Tons of attachment options too. 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I have one and it works great. If I am doing a lot of meat at once it is kind of slow but it will definitely get the job done.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • mrw123
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    nice that that one comes with the bigger grinding plates, the plastic one you need to go to ebay to upgrade the plates
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, I'm saddened that the coarsest grind is medium.
    Options
    Yeah, I'm saddened that the coarsest grind is medium.
    mine is the plastic, when i got it i wanted to make some of the coarse ground portuguese sausages but it didnt work with the medium plate and the medium plate doesnt give a good chili grind, the small plate is useless
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For a few more dollars, I'd get one of these.  
    http://www.amazon.com/STX-INTERNATIONAL-STX-3000-TF-Turboforce-Attachment/dp/B0012KJBR0/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

If I don't find a Hobart on CL this summer, I will be purchasing one.  Seen great reviews for this on a bowhunting forum.  I've got the plastic KA grinder, and works ok for the smaller stuff.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Look at cabelas site, they have some great grinders. They also have I believe a five year warranty. I had an issue with mine ( there was a gear knocking inside) they charged me for a new one, sent a return label and when they got it back they credited me the money back. They were very easy to work with. I highly recommend their grinders. You may pay up front ( like an egg) but you get what you pay for. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I also have the KitchenAid plastic grinder, and it works great.  I did however buy a set of additional grinding plates from Somkehouse Chef (bought on Amazon).  The additional plates are all too coarse for hamburger, but great for sausage and Chili.  That setup looks nice, but I would check on what all grinding plates come with it.  In the pic below, the 2 plates on the left are what came with the KitchenAid.

FWIW, the KA grinder with sausage stuffer costs about $60, I paid $35 for the additional grinding plates (5 months ago), I see the plates are now at $69.00 on Amazon.  Quality of the SS one looks good, price looks reasonable, you might save some $ if you get the plastic KA and accessorize it.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    For the amount of grinding I do the plastic KA works for me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mrw123
    Options
    No one has had any trouble with metal shavings or black ooze with the plastic ka? There have been enough reviews mentioning those problems on Amazon that I got scared off a little.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    No one has had any trouble with metal shavings or black ooze with the plastic ka? There have been enough reviews mentioning those problems on Amazon that I got scared off a little.
    Sounds to me like somebody used that wrench that comes with the grinder and WAY overtightened the retaining cap! That may have lead to some problem, but I sure never have had an issue!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have had that problem at first, not with metal shavings but with black ooze.  Solution to pollution is dilution.  Seriously, it went away.  I don't tighten the die much at all.  The pressure of the screw makes the seal just fine. 
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The black ooze is probably the gear grease breaking down within the mixer. The grease turns to a brownish black when it leaks (The grease is food safe anyways)  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    @mrw123 Did you end up buying the Smokehouse Chef grinder? I'm considering one and figured I'd ask about it here and found this thread!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    +1 White plastic Kitchenaid attachment.  I use it quite a bit to make flap meat/boneless short rib burger mix.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Another +1 for the kitchenaid. Great for home use.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I too have the plastic KA grinder, it works great! 
    However, the sausage stuffer portion hasn't worked worth crap for me, after three times experimenting, and I finally sprang for a 5-lb-capacity LEM stuffer on sale for $89.  Never could get the KA stuffer to work worth a darn.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• mrw123
    Options
    @mrw123 Did you end up buying the Smokehouse Chef grinder? I'm considering one and figured I'd ask about it here and found this thread!
    Not yet, but I'm still actively considering it. I'm just not sure yet how much I'd use it.  
  • danguba78
    Options
    Did anyone ever go with the smokehouse chef grinder, and if so, any opinions?
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    danguba78 said:
    Did anyone ever go with the smokehouse chef grinder, and if so, any opinions?
    I have only seen the SS Grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aide. For the price of that attachment you can get a dedicated grinder
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian