Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gonna be an Egghead soon!

Options
shadowrider
shadowrider Posts: 108
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
So my gas grill is in critical condition and I've been studying all the options.  BGE has won out!  I was on the fence between BGE and Primo but the reputation, following, customer service and the fact that there are so many accessories swung me.

I like to cook full racks of pork spare ribs and whole packer briskets in my Cookshack so I'm not totally new, but I'm going to enjoy the burgers and brats much more now over the gas grill.  But I'll probably cry when I sell my cookshack because I just don't have the room for both.  But at least I'll finally get me some smoke ring!

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You are going to be in for a real treat! Going from gas to an egg will be a huge improvement. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome! What size are you getting?

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    You'll find room when your looking for a 2nd egg! ;) Enjoy
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    It's just one of the best things you could have done for yourself and your family.  Mine has been rolling for 15-16 years and it just keeps rolling.  Good for you!
    Best - Jack
  • shadowrider
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ha!  Weber I'm already looking for that second egg!  I just priced a MM at the pool store by my house and about choked.  Imma gonna be pounding craigslist for one I guess.

RAC, I'm going to buy a large BGE for my main unit and I had one in my area posted just last night.  Of course it's already spoken for but I'm second in line.  My local SAMs club has the XL for $1200 but that's just too big for me and the wife.  The large at my pool store dealer is only $300 more than the MM which is mind boggling!  I'll likely order it tomorrow on my way to get some cedar lumber to build the table.   =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome aboard. & FWIW I'd highly recommend buying from a dealer vs Sam's, Costco, etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    @shadowrider  The XL is NOT too big :) Beware that Sam's may not come with the BGE lifetime warranty.  Find a reputable dealer (and ALWAYS!!  ask for a discount).  It is just my wife and I and have fired it up for just one hotdog.  It comes in handy when the kids come over and we do pizza or Pulled Pork or brisket. It is nice to have the space when you need it - if you don't have it, you have to improvise. 

• shadowrider
    Options
    Yea Husker I read on the BGE site that they don't retail to those kinds of places.  Don't really care to push my luck on any possible warranty claims.  Their prices are really in line with those anyway so I'll get it from them unless I get a smoking deal on CL.
  • shadowrider
    Options
    One hot dog?  That's hardcore!  I like it!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome Shadowrider! I am sure you will love the BGE. There will be a learning curve but I feel you will master it in no time. Oh yea, gas is for water heaters, logs, clock in kitchen, etc.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @shadowrider CL is fine and dandy. Obviously no warranty but, if the price is right and that's what you want ok. Personally I wouldn't buy one without a full warranty but, that's me. Others have bought 2nd,  3rd and so forth eggs from CL. EITHER way you go enjoy it. :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Your life will change. 

Trust me on that! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Tips for your New BIG GREEN EGG from THE BIG GRILL SHOP!

Make a calendar event  to tighten your band bolts in 30 days. Especially the top band that holds the dome. (My Dome fell off a tall deck. The Egg Gods were with with me, it didn’t break!)

2.  Go to www.biggreenegg.com and register your new Egg. While there, go to The Forum and register. Tons of information, recipes, photos, how-to’s and (usually) good banter. 

3. YouTube is your friend. Google “Big Green Egg (insert name of food)”. Lots of tips and tricks. 

4.  Get in the habit of “Burping” your Egg from the first cook. What is “Burping” you ask? Google is your friend. 

5. Buy a good thermometer to take meat temperatures. Thermo-pens are popular. Thermo-pops are (cheaper and) popular. Amazon is your friend. With the Egg, you cook meats and fish to a temperature. The time to cook is not the key (but you’ll learn what takes how long for planning purposes). 

6. Don’t do a high temp cook (500 degrees plus) for the first few cooks. You need to break in the gasket - the felt seals around the base and the dome. 

7. “Spatchcock” Chicken is a popular first cook. Search “Spatchcock” in the Big Green Egg Forum’s search feature. It’s a 375 degree cook and the chicken will  AMAZE you. 

8. Pork Butts and Ribs are popular first “Low and Slow” cooks at 225-250 degrees. Depending on size, Butts can take several hours to hit 200-205 degrees when it will probe like “butah” . Ribs, depending on method, can take several hours to pass the “bend test”

9. Learn the terms: Direct, Raised Grate and Indirect and how/when to employ them. 

10. Setting and controlling temperatures can take some practice . Remember, it’s all about air flow. More air, more heat. And when cooking a “Low and Slow” it’s MUCH EASIER to catch the temp on the way up then trying to cool it down.

11. You are about to become a Rub Hoarder. DizzyDust, Big Byron’s Butt Rub and Oakridge BBQ are popular. There are a TON of rubs on the market. Make room in the pantry. Try them. 

12. Big Green Egg lump is smokey. Brands like Rockwood, Nature Glo, Sugar Maple and others are not. EGGsperiment with what lump you like with what food. All lump is not created equal - burns faster, burns longer, lights faster, lights slower, produces little/ a lot of ash, etc. 

13. Eggsperiment with smoking woods. Hickory for Butts, for example, Apple for Chicken. Try it!

12. In addition to BGE Eggsessoires sold by the Big Grill Shop, there are a ton of 3rd party products to suit your every BGE need. Shop around, search the Forum.

New Albany, Ohio 

• shadowrider
    Options
    @shadowrider CL is fine and dandy. Obviously no warranty but, if the price is right and that's what you want ok. Personally I wouldn't buy one without a full warranty but, that's me. Others have bought 2nd,  3rd and so forth eggs from CL. EITHER way you go enjoy it. :peace: 
    Price on that one was good.  Only a year old for $600 and it came with extras and some BGE coal.  He said his wife didn't like the food off of it so I'm thinking he'd only used it 2 or 3 times.  I asked if he'd ever used lighter fluid and he said no.  I asked that because I've never seen anyone say that about a BGE.  I've been using my Cookshack for several years and have been on their forum and some others and BGE is loved by all from what I've been able to gather over time.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    My favorite smoking chips are (in preference order):

Applewood/Hickory/Cherry for pork
    Cherry/Applewood/Hickory for chicken
    Mesquite/Hickory for beef. 

Welcome to the zoo. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Wish I could get another egg, but momma said no. :s
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @shadowrider Different lump imparts different flavor and some are overly smokey for some people's palate. That and maybe that particular person didn't wait for " good smoke". We prefer a neutral burning lump and add different wood chunks to add to or change flavor. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    @badinfluence , I'd say no if I were "momma" too.  LOL!!!  Enough is enough brother.  :lol:   You have more eggs than Carter had liver pills.  
  • shadowrider
    Options
    @shadowrider Different lump imparts different flavor and some are overly smokey for some people's palate. That and maybe that particular person didn't wait for " good smoke". We prefer a neutral burning lump and add different wood chunks to add to or change flavor. 
    Interesting point on the coal.  I just started a thread on this.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome to the club!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• shadowrider
    Options
    Thanks to all for the welcome.  I'm drooling at the thought of getting my hands on one!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would reconsider buying a used egg. The warranty is worth the extra money.  I own a medium and XL, I have had 2 platesetters and a base replaced in the 4 years I have owned a medium and in the 2 years I have had my XL.

that's about $300 right there. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nickels worth of free advise:
    The cost to get in is minuscule in comparison to the cost to stay in.
    There is a defined value on a lifetime warranty.
    Welcome to the machine, you will love the egg, you will love this forum. There are some pretty wise folks here, and they are very helpful and friendly. Coolest forum by far, that I know of.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shadowrider
    Options
    Well I got it today.  It took some doing as their shipment that came in this week was only half of what they ordered.  So they had a new one in a display station they had setup in their showroom and they let me have it since the other half was delayed.  Got it from a pool and spa sales place right by the house and they are an authorized distributor so I get the warranty.  Also had one in the box found at a hardware store which has a boatload of BGE grills and accessories but this place is closer and was the cheapest by about $50 or so.  I'm happy happy happy...