Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker Sale - OT

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
I was on my way back to Columbia, SC from Charlotte, NC today and stopped at Cabelas. I went to the outdoor cooking section and noticed they now carry A-Maze-N Smokers. I was shocked that the price was less than I paid for mine directly from AMS a year or two ago. Sure enough you can order them from Cabelas for cheaper right now than buying directly from AMS. Here you go if interested.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/A-MAZE-N-PRODUCTS-X-PELLET-SMOKER/1873479.uts

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited June 2015
    Damn you. 

Of course, now I NEED one. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Somehow just the idea of pellets goes against my grain a bit, but I have to admit that's surely irrational.  Do you use these in a BGE, and if so, how do you use them, and what's the advantage over chunks?

Thanks!
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    @Theophan - you fill up that product with pellets and can cold smoke stuff. Think cheese, bacon, nuts, salmon, etc. 
    Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2015
    @Theophan - you fill up that product with pellets and can cold smoke stuff. Think cheese, bacon, nuts, salmon, etc. 
    Absolutely - the only fire is the pellets smokin'.
    @Chubbs - thanks for the heads up!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Theophan
    Cold smoking -- wow!  Very interesting.  Thanks for filling me in!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't like the quality of smoke those emit.  I built one with some perforated steel.  Used pellets. Might be better if you mix lump and wood or lump and pellets.  Just my 2 cent.
    I don't like the quality of smoke those emit.  I built one with some perforated steel.  Used pellets. Might be better if you mix lump and wood or lump and pellets.  Just my 2 cent.
    What was it about the smoke that you did not like?
  • Chubbs
    Interesting. After I started heating my pellets in the unit in my over for 20 or 30 mins before putting in egg, this thing smokes without issue for me for hours and hours. Or are you referencing the actual metal??
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Chubbs said:
    I was on my way back to Columbia, SC from Charlotte, NC today and stopped at Cabelas. I went to the outdoor cooking section and noticed they now carry A-Maze-N Smokers. I was shocked that the price was less than I paid for mine directly from AMS a year or two ago. Sure enough you can order them from Cabelas for cheaper right now than buying directly from AMS. Here you go if interested.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/A-MAZE-N-PRODUCTS-X-PELLET-SMOKER/1873479.uts

They have some other items on sale also.
    If anyone hasn't ordered the Fathers Day special slat block, Cabelas has a 8x12x1.5 Himalayan salt block for $27.99.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Chubbs said:
    Interesting. After I started heating my pellets in the unit in my over for 20 or 30 mins before putting in egg, this thing smokes without issue for me for hours and hours. Or are you referencing the actual metal??
    NOLA was using the insides of a surplus reactor, got some outgassing I'd guess. 
    @Chubbs - ever used dust? I did not like the pellets, but the dust works like a hot damn. Sounds like you are drying your pellets (somehow that does not sound right) before you light them - maybe it is an ambient humidity thing? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs said:
    NOLA was using the insides of a surplus reactor, got some outgassing I'd guess. 
    @Chubbs - ever used dust? I did not like the pellets, but the dust works like a hot damn. Sounds like you are drying your pellets (somehow that does not sound right) before you light them - maybe it is an ambient humidity thing? 

I am saying I have no issues whatsoever with my pellets. A few years back when a bunch of us starting using this to cold smoke, the common "issue" was the unit going out mid smoke. Some of us tried throwing it in the over a bit first (at the recommendation of AMS) and it worked like a charm. I can get a good 12 hours of smoke from this thing without issue. Or, I usually light both ends and smoke bacon for 4-6 hours with twice the smoke.

• I love my AMS. I also used the coffee can with a bunch of holes in it with a little lump but it got just a bit higher temp than what I was hoping for. I now use the AMS with cheese, nuts, or fish and if I am going to do bacon or jerky I use the coffee can.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • nolaegghead
    Chubbs said:
    No problems with it going out.  I'm talking about bad smoke.  Acrid.
    Chubbs said:
    No problems with it going out.  I'm talking about bad smoke.  Acrid.
    This would be a result of the pellets and not the unit I would imagine. I have tried apple, peach, pecan, maple, oak, and hickory from AMS without issue. What type of pellets you using?
  • nolaegghead
    @Chubbs BnB apple pellets.  Maybe I need to try drying them like you said.

I just got way better taste when I funneled my smoke from one egg into my cold smoker vs putting the maze in the cold smoker.   Probably need to make a smoke box and hang it off the side - one problem I had was the AC unit fan made the pellets burn quick.
    I have found the BBQ Delight pellets to be the best. They are made from pure apple or whatever the bag is labeled. Most others, particularly for the pellet grills are a mixture and contain a fair amount of oak and other hardwoods. Some also have "flavorings". The BBQ D do cost more but I like the flavor a lot better. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Theophan
    Have any of you used this thing in "hot smoking" (i.e., with lump at the same time) just to make things even more smoky?  If so, did it work?