Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table Question (Cutting Board)

Options
So I just started building a table for my medium egg and was wondering what the best stone is to use as a cutting board once everything is completed. Additionally was looking to see what type of adhesive people have used to apply the stone to the wood. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Doing a very basic table pretty much identical to this one, http://www.scottmoore.net/projects/egg/ but scaled down a little to fit a medium instead of a large. 
Charlotte, NC

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    a stone cutting board is going to be rough on your knives.  It will dull them very quickly.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I still like good old wood for a cutting board.  Even on my granite in my kitchen I use a cutting board.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think granite is popular.  I agree if you actually plan to cut on it then it is not the best for your knives.  However if you just want it to set hot stuff on and have something easier to clean I think granite or similar stone (marble, slate) will work well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I think granite is popular.  I agree if you actually plan to cut on it then it is not the best for your knives.  However if you just want it to set hot stuff on and have something easier to clean I think granite or similar stone (marble, slate) will work well.  
    Would it be ok to set hot things on granite tile?  I have been thinking of using granite tile for my top to save money and weight.  I would of course have plywood and concrete broad under it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    My husband brought a sanatec cutting board home....Best product ever!  I have a large piece that covers pretty much the side of my BGE table.   Find more info here: http://www.professionalplastics.com/SANATECHDPE
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Why attach the stone to the wood? You could recess it in top and lift out when you want to clean. 
  • JT_Thomas
    JT_Thomas Posts: 101
    Options
    So I just started building a table for my medium egg and was wondering what the best stone is to use as a cutting board once everything is completed. Additionally was looking to see what type of adhesive people have used to apply the stone to the wood. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Doing a very basic table pretty much identical to this one, http://www.scottmoore.net/projects/egg/ but scaled down a little to fit a medium instead of a large. 
    I have a granite top on my table.  I will most likely use a wood cutting board to make it easier on my knives.  

As far as attaching the granite to the wood, silicone.  I have a granite slab (heavy), so it doesn't need much to keep it in place.  I placed a bead of silicone caulk on the wood structure, then set the granite on top.  I then ran a bead around the seam.  Pretty easy to do, even for someone not extremely handy (such as myself).
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    My husband brought a sanatec cutting board home....Best product ever!  I have a large piece that covers pretty much the side of my BGE table.   Find more info here: http://www.professionalplastics.com/SANATECHDPE
    @Trixie_Belle, the price isn't bad, and a green color-coded one would be cool for the top of a table.  I will have save this site.

Kansas City, Mo.