Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rotate racks when cooking 6 racks of ribs on an adjustable rig?

When cooking ribs on three racks in an AR, is it helpful or necessary to rotate the racks to allow for even cooking? I plan on cooking mine at 225 over the spider and stone in my large Egg and do not plan to flip or mop. But I've seen some posts that suggest that it's good to rotate the racks for even cooking, even though it means taking the AR out of the Egg.

What has worked for you?

Up to now I've been cooking six racks by tying them together in twos, bone-side facing in, and then placing them in a rib rack. It's been OK, but the rack makes it hard to turn them halfway through, it rubs a lot of rub and bark off, and the ribs flop around quite a bit. I'm looking for a pretty big improvement!

I also plan to use the AR for just about everything else I'm cooking for my summer party: Two butts, two briskets, a butterflied lamb leg, eight pounds of 35-day home-dry-aged steak, five pounds of kielbasa and 10 pounds of home-cured bacon. I start smoking on Thursday and go pretty much continuously until the party starts at 4 p.m. on Saturday, and then I finish off the lamb and steaks hot. I'm hoping the AR takes some of the anxiety out of the picture by letting me cook some of these things at the same time, since everything comes from the single Egg.

I've been cooking on an Egg for almost 20 years. This party is kind of a high-wire act, but it's fun. I hope someone here will have some advice for me on my question about rotating racks of ribs on the AR.

Thanks!
Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, CyberQ, Ash Kicker, SmokeWare SS Chimney Top

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think rotating them, at least the top and bottom levels would help them get done at the same time.  I don't have an AR, but the top rack is going to be hotter.  

That being said it sounds like you are cooking these ahead of time anyway, so you could always just pull the ribs off as they are finished and if the top finishes first no big deal.   I would probably just wait until the top ribs are done, pull out the rig and check the others.  Chances are the bottom will need more time.  At that point you could move the bottom to the top and continue cooking.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• djmsalem
    djmsalem Posts: 46
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
  • I had my adj. rig for years. When I cook 6 racks I use the 3-2-1 method. I rotate the top and bottom grate once during the first 3 hrs., once during the foil wrap and again once durin the last hr. The middle great I leave alone. Remember the 3-2-1 method is a guide and not set in stone, your mileage may vary. 
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I have and do.
    Seattle, WA
  • djmsalem
    @Skinny, so do you rotate once, top and bottom, maybe halfway through the cook? More often? @Railroader, I am not such a fan of foiling because I prefer the texture of unfoiled ribs -- especially when I hit it right -- but I realize that I am in the probably ignorant minority on this. I haven't tried it in a while, though, so I might give it another shot! Thank you both for your help.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    6 racks, how is this setup look?  I assume you use the spider with stone, then 3 levels of grates, with 2 racks laid flat on each, right?  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • djmsalem
    @sumoconnell Yes, exactly as you say.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    I have done 6 racks multiple times and always rotate every hour. Top to Bottom is most important but I normally just rotate them all, either go up 1 level or down 1 level each rotating session. This is what our setup looked like.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• djmsalem
    That looks gorgeous. Thanks for the advice, and the photo!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Thanks, no problem! Just remember to post pics of your cook.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe