Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook First Post

2»

Comments

• BKing
    BKing Posts: 16
    Welcome! 

I know it goes against most recipes for beer can chicken but if you have a giant shield under the chicken, you can flip the bird so the dark meat (legs) are up on top in the hot part of the dome, or just put a smaller shield under it or even do direct.  I'm saying this because the breast cooked faster than the legs based on your pictures.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try that on my next one!
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    That bird looks downright fantastic. Congrats on the new egg and welcome to the forum!
  • BKing
    BKing Posts: 16
    DieselkW said:
    BKing said:
    I'll be honest, I don't think I injected or rubbed enough of the marinade in the chicken. Not as much flavor as I hoped to of gotten. Maybe I need to actually marinade the next? It was good and moist just not full of flavor.
    A little advice: Once I found out how easy it is to brine a chicken, and how a good brine affects the finished bird, I can't see ever cooking a chicken without a good 6-8 hour soak the day before. Since you were disappointed in the level of injected flavor, try again - same recipe - just brine it the day before, or early morning day of. It really makes a difference.
    I also find it helpful to use two fingers to separate the breast skin from the breast, and really get in there with some dry rub and fill the cavity (above the can) with fresh sage/rosemary/marjoram/thyme. That will add a distinct kick of flavor, to the breast at least.
    I try to get the skin really dry after brining. Paper towels, then uncovered in the fridge (low humidity in there) until that skin is completely dried off.
    Then set it on the counter, covered tight in plastic, for an hour or two to get it to room temp before setting it on your can rig and firing it up.

That should make a difference.
    When you say brine, is that the same as marinating it over night?
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Welcome aboard!  Great looking yard bird!  :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome....crack a cold one or pour one over ice....throw the bird on and don't sweat it. Although you can't be a forum member without using the word Spatchcock at least once a day. Have fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    edited June 2015
    Go to Nakedwhiz and look in their recipes.  Spatchcock meaning flattened.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.