Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: any "cant miss" menu orders in San.Fran or Napa?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
First Off . . . life has been a blur recently.  Found out my Wife is Pregnant (yea!) and work travel has been super intense. Only been lurking, usually while taking a big shi* at a truck stop.  Kidding . . kinda.  Anyway, still appreciate you guys and I hope to start posting again July.

MY QUESTION:  leaving for 10 day trip to San Fran & Napa on 6/12.  I know of the famous, high-end restaurants . . . but anybody here have a "CANT MISS" menu order that we gotttttttttttttttta get?

As always, THANKS!
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I absolutely loved Tacolicious for their Tacos and their Tequila bar.

But my favorite thing was the Iron Skillet Roasted Mussels at Restaruarnt LuLu . They were so good I got them as an appetizer and then ordered them again for desert. 

I won't miss these two places when I go back, and I'm not usually one to eat at the same places when I visit subsequently.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Was just on a recent trip to SF here is my thread:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171934/heading-to-san-francisco-looking-for-restaurant-recommendations-bbq-or-other#latest

Our favorite place was Kokkari, (Greek) lamb chops and goat stew were awesome.  We were slightly under dress based on the rainy weather, but were treated great by our server.

Wayfare Tavern was also very good.

Hardwater down on the bay was very good as well.  Great lunch spot, super crowded in the evenings.

House of Prime Rib was fantastic old school all the way.

Coqueta was our least favorite, maybe all the other listed above set the bar too high.

Fantastic food town, enjoy your trip!
    Edina, MN

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Guy Fieri's restaurant, Johnny Garlic's" is near San Fran. 
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    in napa/surrounding area: 
    obviously the french laundry in yountville. several hundred dollars/person but its arguably one of the top 3 restaurants in the country.
    there are some other really nice restaurants around there: bottega 
    more north in st. helena - market is a favorite of mine. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    If you're driving from SF to Napa, go north across the GG Bridge and cut over through Sonoma.  It's longer, but a nicer drive and you can stop in Sonoma, great square there, lots to see.

One stop I love to make is in Tiburon, just north of Sausalito in Marin County (across the GG Bridge).  Sam's is a waterfront semi-dive with a huge deck surrounded by a marina and a great view of the bay and SF.  They have fantastic calamari and cold beer.  I'm sure the other food is good too, but that's all I can ever remember ordering.  Fantastic place to cool your heels on a sunny afternoon.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Hahahahahaha
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Here is the menu for one of Guy's restaurants...looks great!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Lucky for me The French Laundry was closed when we went by. Looked in back and not an Egg anywhere. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hahahahahaha

guy.jpg 42.9K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Scoma's in Sausalito, cioppino on the waterfront..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Lucky for me The French Laundry was closed when we went by. Looked in back and not an Egg anywhere. 
    They have a mini inside the kitchen. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Suppenküche in San Francisco has fantastic German food that won't break the bank. Chinatown has some great eats as well. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Johnny Garlics, pppfff, as if! Pier 39 SF, eat at Aliotos,  best seafood, a little pricey, but nothing crazy.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Russian River and Lagunitas are both not far and great places.  Sierra Nevada also has a pub in berkeley. 

I'm partial to this place, but I also recommend the workshop in Benicia. It's not on the water front, but close. It's a mom and pop creole place. They only do lunch. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Ooof - stay away man!  I've heard they burn the water in that place, if you can believe it!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NDG
    Options
    THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!  We will not be doing French Laundry . . but it is on my bucket list.  

I have printed the suggestions and will try to set some stuff up.  My sister just sent an agenda . . . the two I am PUMPED for are:
    • Ad Hoc (6476 Washington St, Yountville) . . a Thomas Keller restaurant 
    • Hog Island Oyster Farm tour & lunch . . . (shuck & eat in water)
    Aint Travel Da Best?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    @cazzy . . . I read about 5 options off Guy Fieri's menu before I realized it was a joke.  Seems right on point, he is the worst.

Saw this on twitter few months ago - real court room sketch that looks just like guy - ha.

Columbus, OH

• Legume
    Options
    Glad to hear you're heading over to the coast - the Tomales Bay / Point Reyes area is stunning.  Excellent choice, lots of local farms, ranches, bakeries and cheese makers in the area.
  • Legume
    Options
    Separated at birth?

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    One of my favorite places in SF is Biscuits & Blues.  Of course if you don't like live blues music, ignore this recommendation. ;)  

In Napa, I like to stop by Oakville Grocery and pick up fresh bread, meats, and cheeses for picnicking during wine-tasting. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    anton said:
    Johnny Garlics, pppfff, as if! Pier 39 SF, eat at Aliotos,  best seafood, a little pricey, but nothing crazy.
    Agreed.  If you go to Aliotos, order the cioppino.  Best anywhere hands down.

Living Large and XL

• SBakerPhoto
    Options
    Rutherford Grill and Tra Vigne in Napa. Slanted Door and Water Bar in the city.
    Bay Area, CA     XLBGE
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    The French Laundry was a bit stuffy for my tastes, but very good. I actually prefer his bakery Bouchon. 

Mustards. CIA. 

Gary Danko in San Francisco is amazing. 
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Legume said:
    Separated at birth?

This seems kind of mean.  To Guy.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Gary Danko is great. I enjoyed slanted door but really loud but food was great. however my two favorites were Delfina (awesome and total San Fran local spot) and Stones Throw (lower key and awesome). Last two places serve beer and wine but no liquor- not uncommon there. 

Greensboro, NC
  • NDG
    Options
    Legume  . . thanks for suggestions and, oh my, that side-by-side white stunna shade pictures!  :o 

TnJedNecessaryIndulgSBakerPhoto thanks so much.  Just updated my word doc of recomendations and about to print off.  This is becoming a tradition for us, pull out the BGE suggestions and do a lil research at the airport!
    Columbus, OH

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If you are a fan of Chinese food....take in the House of Nan King. It is on the fringe of China Town. They will order for you and bring you food that will bring much joy. ....It is a small restaurant but a must do when I am in San Fran.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The "Stinking Rose" in Little Italy in San Francisco. "They season their garlic with food to give it added flavor." Everything they serve is over the top delicious. In Napa, try the Rutherford Grill. It is the place where all the wine makers debut their wine, and the broasted chicken is about the best I have ever bad especially with sautéed Brusselsprouts. If you would like a picnic, go to the Oakville Grocery. Very cool place, select a wine, gourmet sandwiches and coffee, pick a place next to the California Coastal Highway (CA 1) watch for wales, the sunset and deer. One of the most beautiful drives anywhere on earth.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    forgot one - Alexander's in Cupertino.  This forum likes a good steak, and they (had) a Michelin star.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.