Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mail Order Meat

Options
thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,357
I live in Florida and am wondering if anyone's used an east coast based mail order meat?  I've used Snake River Farms and it takes 4-5 days on standard delivery from them, so I am looking at a closer alternative.
TIA
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Creekstone Farms delivered in 2 days to me in PA. Ordered on a Monday morning, on porch by 2pm on Wednesday.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    THE MEAT HOUSE doesnt deliver but they have a store in orlando and carry srf items. before they went under up here for not paying their bills they had great dry aged steaks, 45 days, for about 20 a pound. might still be the case with the southern stores
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    @thetrim, I don't know if Wassi's Meat Market over on the other coast of FL ships or not but I was down there for the Eggfest in April and their meat seemed to be pretty top notch. I landed at TPA and stayed a couple days with my dad down there before we headed over there. Seems like it was about a 3 hour trip. Not sure if that would be worth it or not to save shipping costs.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I read an article about White Oak Pastures and if I were to order online, they are certainly a farm I'd support.  Given that it is also sold in Whole Foods along the East Coast the quality should be decent as well.

http://www.whiteoakpastures.com

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    FYI Franklin BBQ in Austin uses Creekstone Farms, so they must be pretty good. I have ordered from SRF but have not tried Creekstone yet.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I'd make the trip to Melbourne, FL and see Wassi's Meat Market. 
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Try Pat Lafreda, they deliver next day for $15 to FL.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Is that where you picked up those monster tomahawks? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I prefer buying mine from the guy in the van that also sells audio equipment. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL In Georgia that guy is in an old beat up compact truck with out of state tags, a home chest freezer and a generator humming. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    @thetrim, I don't know if Wassi's Meat Market over on the other coast of FL ships or not but I was down there for the Eggfest in April and their meat seemed to be pretty top notch. I landed at TPA and stayed a couple days with my dad down there before we headed over there. Seems like it was about a 3 hour trip. Not sure if that would be worth it or not to save shipping costs.
    Thank you.  I;m a west coaster, but have heard great things about Wassi's.  It may be worth a trip. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    When you got those monster ribeyes, did they wrap in dry ice or did you store your own way for the long road home?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I think @NPHuskerFL has a mobile freezer in the back of his work van to buy and store prime meats while out on the road
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I have sent meat to a pal in Maine from here in Iowa and he said it arrived promptly and ice cold in a foam cooler packed with the ice packs. Google Rube's from Montour, Iowa. I do not think you will be disappointed. I have only ordered steaks so cannot speak for other cuts if they even have them. The quality is superb.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I live in Florida and am wondering if anyone's used an east coast based mail order meat?  I've used Snake River Farms and it takes 4-5 days on standard delivery from them, so I am looking at a closer alternative.
    TIA
    FYI - SRF now distributes their product out of Kansas City, so that's where it ships from.  To Florida takes 3 days via ground, but there are 2-day and overnight options (which increases the cost).