Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is better meat worth the price?

2»

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    That's why I buy chest freezers, harder to keep inventory and rotate for age, but when you pop the top, the coldest part of the freezer (bottom) remains the coldest part. Should it fail for any reason, it will hold temperature for 24 hours if it's not opened.
    I just hope I notice if the light on the front panel were to go out... @nolaegghead has a good idea with a freezer alarm.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Yeah I wish I held on to my old chest freezer.  I gave it away when we bought a new fridge and moved the old fridge to the basement.  It does make me a little nervous because if it failed I don't think I would know until we noticed the smell upstairs.  We don't rotate things in and out everyday.  Right now it has $250 worth of SRF meat.  Off to Amazon to price out alarms...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    DieselkW said:
    Nice @ringkingpin - actual Japanese Wagyu? Can I get an invite? I'll help watch it smoke.
    Well, it's Wagyu from Australia.  It's not acutally KOBE from Japan.  It still is the same species (not a cross bred) and similar rules and laws apply but it's kind of like calling sparkling wine from CA, Champagne.  It can be exceptional wine but it's not Champagne.  
    I've had other cuts from this same source, namely Cullote and it's exceptional quality. 

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My wife has a person that she calls on for work that raise beef in Kansas and has offered us a chance to by meat from them at no more then $2 per lb.  The cows are grass feed them finished on gain and oats before butchering.  This reminds me we need to look into this.  You can buy a whole car, a half or just 100 lbs.  I think it would be worth it.
    I'm not sure I'd buy beef from a car salesman. 

Darn fat fingers again.  I think you know I meant cow. 
     =) 

Now I will not buy from the guys with the freezer in the back of there trucks at all and Omaha Steaks are over priced for what you get.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Nice pic @DieselkW!  I need to take a class now that JJ is downtown. Much more convenient for us southsiders. We did have a blast at his Eggfest last month.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    ksmyrl said:
    Agree with most of what was said. It's mainly about what are you willing to sacrifice? Money, or the meat? I try to buy the highest quality available and buy all my beef, pork, and chicken from the local butcher. But I don't know his suppliers. I've been threatening to buy a 1/2 cow from a local (1 hr away) grass fed place that gets rave reviews. I really should do it, but I'm worried my freezer will die and I'll be out several hundred dollars. That is just me being paranoid. For special occasions I buy the high grade stuff and can definitely tell a difference.
    You can buy a freezer alarm for about $15.  Freezers are one of the most reliable appliances in the home.  If it does fail, you have plenty of time to start the egg and organize a party.
    I like the way you think... It's totally just me being paranoid. Our freezer has been awesome for years now. Only issue, was a tripped breaker, most likely due to a thunderstorm, while we were on vacation some years ago. Lost everything in there, and it was a lot. Imagine coming home to 7 day old room temp meat and all that goes with that...uggh. Took a month to get the freezer deodorized. Thank goodness it's in the basement.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    I go with cheaper cuts of meat (choice over prime) because most of my family loves it 'well done'.  I just done see the point of getting a prime steak and then have to cook it brown from end-to-end.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• My wife has a person that she calls on for work that raise beef in Kansas and has offered us a chance to by meat from them at no more then $2 per lb.  The cows are grass feed them finished on gain and oats before butchering.  This reminds me we need to look into this.  You can buy a whole car, a half or just 100 lbs.  I think it would be worth it.
    I'm not sure I'd buy beef from a car salesman. 

Darn fat fingers again.  I think you know I meant cow. 
     =) 

Now I will not buy from the guys with the freezer in the back of there trucks at all and Omaha Steaks are over priced for what you get.  
    Yeah. I havent bought much beef in nearly a year. I traded my uncle for a couple calves and a friend and I fed them out on his small pasture for a while before finishing them out with grain and protein. Ended up with a whole cow in the freezer. Store bought meat doesnt even compare. 

Little Rock, AR

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    I have found that the way the animals are raised makes a difference in flavor. I finally found a farm locally that carries every animal I would want to smoke or cook in one stop and offers a csa which I joined.

Beef
    Poultry - Ducks, chickens, and Turkeys
    Lamb
    Goat
    Pork - Tamworth Hogs

If you can find a local farm to buy from you will be happier spending that little extra. No need for a butcher when you can go right to the farmer and cut the middle man out. The farm I found also sales individual cuts and delivers to our local farmers  market. Here is the site I found them on.

http://www.localharvest.org/

The Farm I use.

http://www.peacefulpastures.com/

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The farm I found also sales individual cuts and delivers to our local farmers  market. Here is the site I found them on.

http://www.localharvest.org/

The Farm I use.

http://www.peacefulpastures.com/
    I spent quite some time looking over loacalharverst when trying to find nearby sources. It a good site. Seeing the link you posted, I decided to make a quick visit, and see there is now another interesting farm selling in my vicinity.

The thing I really like is that the farm, like others, is continuing to raise breeds no longer deemed suitable for commerce. Its unfortunate that most everything raised for food is not raised for the best taste or nutrition. The situation w. pork is pretty sad. Tamworths were once the "bacon" hog. Mulefoot, the "ham" hog, from Europe, the Mangalitsa, the "lard" hog. I was extraordinary fortunate to have some Ossabaw Island hog last summer. Really unbelievable. The Ossabaw are direct descendants of the original Iberico Black Hog, but mutated to become the fastest fat producers of all. Pretty much feral, and hard to manage, very fast runners. Sigh. The fellow raising them went out of business. He was able to sell off the piglets, but I don't know where they went.

The moral of the story is this. If you want animal species to survive, if they are edible, raise them and sell thr meat for a premium. Humans have this rather self satisfying quality that equates to "If its good to eat, keep them alive and healthy."
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    I have a tamworth belly curing in my fridge as we speak. Friday it will get a good dose of applewood and pecan smoke. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    The answer is sometimes.

I've cooked a few prime graded full packer briskets, then needed to do another for a family get together and couldn't find anything better than a select.  After trimming and cooking I couldn't tell the difference.  You may not have to trim a prime quite as much so I dunno, but the end product was no different.

On the other hand the butcher shop I buy most of my meat from is "Angus certified" whatever that means.  His steaks are noticeably better tasting and he has better cuts than the grocery stores, so it's definitely worth going there.  He usually cheaper on full racks of spare ribs too and overall he's probably competitive on a cost basis.
  • ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    Getting ready to put a brisket on early tomorrow morning.  Trimmed it up last night and the meat looks good!

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Getting ready to put a brisket on early tomorrow morning.  Trimmed it up last night and the meat looks good!

Make sure you post a picture of this after a few hours on smoke.... sooooo jealous.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    ksmyrl said:
    ... I've been threatening to buy a 1/2 cow from a local (1 hr away) grass fed place that gets rave reviews. I really should do it, but I'm worried my freezer will die and I'll be out several hundred dollars. That is just me being paranoid. For special occasions I buy the high grade stuff and can definitely tell a difference.
    Are frozen high grade meats better than never frozen lesser grade?  Steaks that I've had to freeze and use later never seem as good as fresh, but maybe that's because its a frost free freezer and not a stand-alone unit like a chest.  We've gotten out of the habit of buying and freezing most meat.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ragtop99 said:
    ksmyrl said:
    ... I've been threatening to buy a 1/2 cow from a local (1 hr away) grass fed place that gets rave reviews. I really should do it, but I'm worried my freezer will die and I'll be out several hundred dollars. That is just me being paranoid. For special occasions I buy the high grade stuff and can definitely tell a difference.
    Are frozen high grade meats better than never frozen lesser grade?  Steaks that I've had to freeze and use later never seem as good as fresh, but maybe that's because its a frost free freezer and not a stand-alone unit like a chest.  We've gotten out of the habit of buying and freezing most meat.
    From what I've read, blast freezing, which seems to be standard, is a good way of preserving quality. The meat freezes fast enough that the ice crystals will be small enough to not pierce the muscle cell walls. This assumes the frozen meat is well packaged and not subjected to dehydration.

I had read some years ago that more modern facilities use flash freezing w. liquid nitrogen. I don't know how common that is. But in that case, the  fluids between the cells have more water than that in the cells. So, not only are the ice crystals very small, but the cells do not rupture because the fluid between them is already hard.

Unless you are freezing w. dry ice and a brine solution, home freezing will not produce results comparable to blast freezing. That is, most commercially frozen meat should be very good quality, perhaps indistinguishable from unfrozen, assuming they never had a chance to thaw.