Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I give you.... The Bird !

Options
I knew I was pushing the limit with our lbge, but not sure we have anything to do this 22.5 lb turkey  indoors !  Wanted to spatchcock the beast but after measuring, knew that would not work, so decided to do it vertical.  Not even close, and with no one else home at the time had to wrestle with it to get positioned on the grill.  Had to slip some foil under the wings to protect because they hung over the stone.  All well at 350 indirect.
  1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great flexibility and cook! 
    I once had to cook around a 21 lb turkey in a LBGE.  I pulled the fire ring and put a couple of around 2" thick fire bricks on top of the fire box.  Then the platesetter and grate.  Bought a couple of inches in the vertical direction and worked out quite well. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Bravo.   That is a big ass bird!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    Man!  And it freakin' looks perfect too.  I haven't done a turkey in too long.  Thanks for reminding me how much I love it.
    Best - Jack
  • aljoseph
    aljoseph Posts: 15
    Options
    Nicely done, that bird looks awesome.
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Look terrific, can't wait to do a smoked turkey!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Nice looking bird....biggest issue I have is getting the breast and dark meat cooked at the same time. Did you ice your breasts?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looking good sir.  I did a 20 pound one for this last Thanksgiving on the XL after I brined it for a day then dried in the frig for another.  That's some good eats.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    No, did not ice the breasts and the difference between dark and light is the issue I have now.  Just finishing up now.  Won't do another this big again.  Price was too good to pass up at Christmas.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Really like 13/14 lb birds 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bentgrass
    Options
    Yep- up to 15 or so are just right.  This one is too big to horse around.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice looking bird....biggest issue I have is getting the breast and dark meat cooked at the same time. Did you ice your breasts?
    Like @Mickey - I like the smaller 5-8Kg birds. Best way to get the breast to finish at similar time to legs/thighs is cook them upside down. Breast down on the rack in a drip pan. In the egg this puts the legs and thighs up in the dome where it is a touch hotter. Flip the bird for the last 1/2 hour or so to brown the breast skin. 

@Bentgrass - that is some monster under the dome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    I have done upside down, and will do that next time.  I was just a little overwhelmed with the size.  It tastes very good, moist, just don't have large cutting board.  More lessons learned !
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    I have done upside down, and will do that next time.  I was just a little overwhelmed with the size.  It tastes very good, moist, just don't have large cutting board.  More lessons learned !
    Cutting board? Hell, that thing belongs on the workbench! =)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Testing the limits. I like it. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    After having a near disaster two years ago at Thanksgiving with a frozen shut Egg and a too large bird to invert, I believe I may have just figured out a way to cook those monsters inverted in the XL. I just ordered a Woo2/AR Combo rig. This year the Woo2 will go in and the ceramic plate on the bottom of the Woo. Three spacers to elevate the drip tray slightly off the ceramic and there should be lots of room to cook the bird butt side up. I am looking forward to trying this.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Bird looks beautiful. Great mahogany color.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    After having a near disaster two years ago at Thanksgiving with a frozen shut Egg and a too large bird to invert, I believe I may have just figured out a way to cook those monsters inverted in the XL. I just ordered a Woo2/AR Combo rig. This year the Woo2 will go in and the ceramic plate on the bottom of the Woo. Three spacers to elevate the drip tray slightly off the ceramic and there should be lots of room to cook the bird butt side up. I am looking forward to trying this.

• Bentgrass
    Options
    I had spider down all the way with stone on that- if I didn't have a pan under the grate, there is a remote chance I could have stood it up. Next time will do it breast down in the rack.  Dark did not get done enough, plus like I said, too big to jockey around.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beautiful cook, love the result. I am trying to work up the nerve to do one. I usually have deep fried my Turkeys, and my family loves them, but I so want to try this so badly. You have been inspirational. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • leeman13
    leeman13 Posts: 30
    Options
    What a monster!  I thought I was pushing it at Christmas with my 18lb turkey on a Large.  I put some spacers on the plate setter, then a low profile roaster with the turkey in it on those spacers. 

I can't wait for an occasion to cook another turkey like your picture :):)
    -lee.
    LBGE in Waterloo, ON
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Are you sure that isn't a cornish hen on a mini max?   ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    My S I L named it Dolly.  The breasts were huge.