Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a good compound butter recipe for Oysters on the grill

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Headed to the cottage for the weekend with some friends and I'm gonna do a couple dozen oysters on the half shell.  Been reading lots about compound butters and so I was curious what you'd suggest as a good starting point.  I was thinking of something with some horseradish and sundried tomatoes??, maybe some chopped chipotles and cilantro??, who knows.  Give me some advice please.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Butter, garlic, italian seasoning, black pepper and parmesan.
    NOLA
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    here is a recipe I found for a creole butter that goes great on steak.  May be good on oysters as well.

Creole butter:

(I don't have the exact measurements, but at home if I make creole butter I use something like this, and it's as close as I can get without asking someone who works there to send me the recipe)

1lb room temperature unsalted butter

1tsp cayenne pepper

1tsp chili powder

1/2tsp cumin

1tsp red pepper chili flakes

2tbsp finely minced garlic

1tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1tsp tabasco sauce

1tsp sea salt

1/2tsp ground black pepper

1tbsp dried oregano/thyme/parsley

Mix it all by hand or put it in your fancy kitchenaid with paddle attachment and let it turn for a couple minutes on low-medium.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This pernod butter works great with escargot or oysters.  Sometimes I add some asiago cheese to top.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=460522&catid=1
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I'd just like to remind you about the golden rule of compound butter (or really anything else)....

more bacon = more better!

Haha - seriously though, I'd think butter, bacon, shallot, and some fresh herbs would be great.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This pernod butter works great with escargot or oysters.  Sometimes I add some asiago cheese to top.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=460522&catid=1
    Anise works well with oysters.  For example, rockefeller.  Last grilled oysters I did I added ground anise. 

In NOLA, they are typically seasoned with butter, garlic, parsley, pepper and Parmesan.  Anise, basil, cilantro, lemon, oregano or whatever can be added also, everyone wants to season them to their liking.  I've seen nacho flavored (not a fan), and many other variants.  I'd stick with simple.  The oysters are the star.
    Options
    Anise works well with oysters.  For example, rockefeller.  Last grilled oysters I did I added ground anise. 

In NOLA, they are typically seasoned with butter, garlic, parsley, pepper and Parmesan.  Anise, basil, cilantro, lemon, oregano or whatever can be added also, everyone wants to season them to their liking.  I've seen nacho flavored (not a fan), and many other variants.  I'd stick with simple.  The oysters are the star.
    And now I'm craving Drago's
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Pesto + butter topped with some Parmesan works really well.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    nolaegghead said:
      The oysters are the star.
    This above, more so than anything else is key to success. Good quality oysters or preferably excellent quality oysters. No matter how you doctor them up, poor quality oysters do not fair so well.  If you start with great oysters, everything else is secondary and subject to individual tastes. Nola got this one right in spades. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    Options
    SGH said:
    nolaegghead said:
      The oysters are the star.
    This above, more so than anything else is key to success. Good quality oysters or preferably excellent quality oysters. No matter how you doctor them up, poor quality oysters do not fair so well.  If you start with great oysters, everything else is secondary and subject to individual tastes. Nola got this one right in spades. 
    I'm so far from the sea that I don't have much choice so I hope grocery store oysters are good enough. I love them raw with lemon and horseradish but being so far removed from the ocean usually makes me want to cook them at the least. Probably not necessary but...
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Butter, finely diced chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, chopped parsley, lime zest, lime juice, a tine pinch of salt and pepper. Grill them direct around 450F until they start to bubble inside their shells. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I would like to recommend this to simplify grilling them on the egg:
    Steven Raichlen Stainless Steel Seafood Grilling Rack
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028Y4FCU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

These racks are excellent for grilling oysters without spilling the juices.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Saute some garlic, add more butter.  When that melts add in S&P to taste and let it solidify if you want compound butter.   Or better yet, just roast your oysters and let folks add the garlic-butter on their own.  It's awesome, simple, and let's the oyster taste shine through.  Put hot sauce on the table also.

I love oysters Rockefeller, I really do.  But I found some of the best ones don't really feature the oyster.  You could put a scallop or piece of chicken in there if you wanted because the flavor from the bacon, cheese, herbs, garlic and salt is so strong. 

Hey, eat the oysters with garlic butter, and then throw the shells back on the grills with all the bacon mixtures people suggested!  Nobody will know the difference.  Throw a little scallop in there.  =)

LBGE/Maryland
  • gmac
    Options
    So after hitting 3 different grocery stores Oysters are apparently extinct. 

Gonna have to do something with scallops instead. And they are just frozen Costco ones. Very disappointed but thank you all for the ideas. 
    I can't post pictures because I have to do them on the Weber at the cottage so they wont be "egg'd".

Doing scallops, chicken wings, stuffed shrooms, ABT's and bacon wrapped onion rings. Love drinking weekend at the cottage.