Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops, pork loin etc...

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love just about everything I have cooked on the egg, but I have to admit that my pork loin chops have been less than spectacular. I usually marinade them in 50/50 soy sauce and wine, add pepper, sugar and garlic with a shot of hot sauce and cook. I've tried the T-rex method and a 500 degree sear followed by a dwell, but they just aren't cooperating. I think a thermapen would help, and I think the hot water trick would help, but when it comes down to it, I need a fool-proof pork chop cooking technique/recipe. [p]Please help![p]Porkchop challenged,[p]Ed

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    EdinTX,
    Your marinade sounds good. Cook these on a raised grid at 400 degrees, turning every so often, until internal temp. is about 145 degrees. You need a thermapen, or something similar, to know exactly when to take these off. Don't try to TRex these........

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    egret,[p]Thanks,[p]Ed
  • EdinTX,
    I cook loin chops all the time. The whole loins are on sale at least once every 6 weeks or so for $1.99 lb. Pretty hard to beat at that price. Anyway I cut my chops about ¾ to 1 inch thick. These can be a little tricky as there is not enough fat in them to make up for any cooking errors. I coat them lightly with oil and then salt and pepper 5 minutes before they go on the grill. I cook at 450 direct on the regular grill. This is hot but not searing. 2 minutes on the first side, flip 5 minutes on the other side, flip again and cook until done (usually about 4 minutes, total cook time 10-13 minutes). My wife says that if I never cooked anything else but loin chops on the egg that it was worth the price.[p]I think the keys are, 1) The high heat. There isn’t much fat so your not trying to moisten the meat with low temps. 2) Don’t salt and pepper until 5 minutes before they go on the grill. 3) The oil keeps it from sticking to the grill and I think it helps seal in moisture. 4) Do not over cook. I don’t know my meat temps are as I cook these by look and feel.[p]Your marinade sounds good. I may try that. Soaking the chops in the liquids for 30 minutes or so, pat dry, oil and add dry spices 5 min before cooking.[p]Hope this helps.

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    EdinTX,
    if the problem is dryness, consider a nice brine. pork and poultry love brining. basic brine is 1 C. non-iodized salt and 1 C. white sugar to 1 gal. H20. bring h2o to boil, add sugar & salt, then whatever spices, marinades etc you'd like to bring to the party. i usually just throw in some bay leaves, rosemary, sage, & peppercorns.[p]do a search on recipes for brines, there's some really good ones out there. chops should brine for about an hour before hitting the grill, and brine temp should be just above freezing (which means cooling the brine when you get it off the stove top). i usually double up on my salt/sugar/spice mix when boiling the brine, then bring it off the heat and add ice to the brine to bring the temps down quick. so, like, 1/2 gal. H20 + 1 c. sugar + 1 c. salt + stuff, boil, remove from heat after a 20 min simmer, dump in 3/4 gal ice. good to go!

• EdinTX,
    here's a link to Alton Brown's turkey brine; good stuff![p]

[ul][li]Good Eats Roast Turkey Brine[/ul]