Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Induction Cooktops

Options
Navymom
Navymom Posts: 167
Redoing the kitchen countertops and will be getting a new cooktop. I want induction but everyone I talk to says go electric. There are very few stores that carry them and fewer salespeople that have anyknowledge. The guy at Pirch was great but they carry limited brands and models. I love the Thermador that doesn't have set hobs but it is out of my price range. For those of you that have induction what model did you get and why? BTW gas is not an option.
Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
Denton TX

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have a portable induction cooker, so no help on built in models. But I can say that it's absolutely positively better than an electric range. They say get electric because it's what they know and are comfortable with.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you go induction, make sure you have pots and pans that will work. You may need to replace your cookware as well. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    If you go induction, make sure you have pots and pans that will work. You may need to replace your cookware as well. 
    This is a good point. The easy way to check is get a magnet. If a magnet sticks to your cookware, it will work. I have all SS and cast iron cookware so no issues for me.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Have had induction for 10 yrs, love it, safe, easy to clean, does not heat the whole room. Temp is very responsive compared to electric. Biggest complaint from most used to gas is no visual feedback like a flame or glowing burner for the heat level.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    We have an Electrolux induction cooktop that has 2 regular burners and 2 induction burners.  We've had it for 6yrs and it has worked fine.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    We have an Electrolux induction cooktop that has 2 regular burners and 2 induction burners.  We've had it for 6yrs and it has worked fine.  
    Well with that said, do you find yourself using the regular (electric?) burners or the induction ones more?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If I am in a hurry to get something boiling I will go to the induction side. That is fast. After that it really just depends on which pan I grab as to what burner I cook on.  I really like the way the induction side only heats up to the size of the pan you are using and will be touchable very quickly 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Navymom
    Options
    I knew that I would have to replace some pots and pans, have also heard some of the cheaper pans will buzz. I have enough cast iron and others pots to get by to start with.
    Denton TX
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    I have a portable induction cooker, so no help on built in models. 
    I've been trying to decide on one of those.  Any recommendations?
  • flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    Options
    Go induction and don't look back.  Fast Temp changes, Fast up or down so it's easier to hit the right temp than electric or GAS!!  The contents heats up not the room or even the handles (on a stock pot for example).  IF you want, you can pick up a single unit for around $100 and try it out before committing. 
    Try it you'll  like it.
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    LDR said:
    I got a Fagor tabletop burner a year and a half ago. Hasn't gotten a lot of use but so far it works fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I chanaged to induction last year. There are a few features that I love and a few I HATE. 

1. So easy to keep clean, no need to scrape of burt spills.
    2. Instant temp change like gas

The things I hate.  

1. Finding a good induction ready nonstick skillet. I'm way to clumsy to put an iron skillet on my cook top. We've had a lot of skillets warp and they are no longer recognized by the burner.

2. Our touch buttons malfunction the second they get wet or metal touches them.

Aurora,OH
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Ge profile unit, very pleased.
    Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    LDR said:
    I've been happy with my nuwave. It was buy one get one free and my friend gave me his free one. I have used it for tailgating, and hotel rooms. Also for tailgating when they won't let you have any kind of open flame.
  • Navymom
    Options
    GE Profile is on my list, thanks SkinnyV.

I've read about Some issues with controls or units shutting off when they get wet. Saw issues with Bosch shutting off for no reason.

Denton TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Navymom said:
    Redoing the kitchen countertops and will be getting a new cooktop. I want induction but everyone I talk to says go electric. There are very few stores that carry them and fewer salespeople that have anyknowledge. The guy at Pirch was great but they carry limited brands and models. I love the Thermador that doesn't have set hobs but it is out of my price range. For those of you that have induction what model did you get and why? BTW gas is not an option.
    I have the Bosch induction and it is the best we have ever had. We love it. It is better than gas and I thought I would never say that about any electric cook top. Induction is the bomb. It was a little pricey but worth every penny. I'll never go back to gas again.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Navymom said:
    GE Profile is on my list, thanks SkinnyV.

I've read about Some issues with controls or units shutting off when they get wet. Saw issues with Bosch shutting off for no reason.

our Bosch has never shut down. I had not heard that until you mentioned it but we have had no issues like that. It does try to turn on when you scrub it down but that's because the controls are touch sensitive.  
  • Navymom
    edited June 2015
    Options
    our Bosch has never shut down. I had not heard that until you mentioned it but we have had no issues like that. It does try to turn on when you scrub it down but that's because the controls are touch sensitive.  
    Glad to hear you haven't had issues with it turning off. There is a Bosch on the list also, along with a Frigidare and a Miele.
    Denton TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have the Bosch induction and it is the best we have ever had. We love it. It is better than gas and I thought I would never say that about any electric cook top. Induction is the bomb. It was a little pricey but worth every penny. I'll never go back to gas again.

Wow, I find that very hard to believe.  I love my gas stove.

That said, we just redid our kitchen, and everything else is Bosch (fridge, oven, dishwasher, microwave).  They make great stuff.
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Wow, I find that very hard to believe.  I love my gas stove.

That said, we just redid our kitchen, and everything else is Bosch (fridge, oven, dishwasher, microwave).  They make great stuff.
    I love gas stove tops as well. I've owned 2 fairly nice residential And a commercial in the restaurant as well.  This beats them all hands down. Every bit as responsive as gas with very little residual heat. The pan gets hot but 6 inches away is ambient temp. It can go nuclear in 2 minutes and back to room temp in just a few more minutes. Go from setting 7 to 10 and its recognized almost immediately(3 seconds or so). Drop from a Rabin g boil or pan fry at 10 down to 3 for a simmer and it is the same. No contest in my book. I would be concerned about durability in a commercial setting with the glass top but for home use I would go induction over any other hands down. it is so much more efficient than gas especially on cast iron. We just set a piece of butcher paper over the burner so the cast iron does not scratch the glass. The paper is room temp and the entire pan can be scorching hot. I think kinji (or someone) has an infered video of a cast iron pan on gas and induction and the difference is clear. Hot and cool spots all over the gas and all hot on the induction. 6 months ago I would have sung a different song but not now. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Interesting, thanks.
    NOLA
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    We have a Wolf gas cooktop with 4 burners and a griddle in the middle. I use a portable induction burner outdoors and really like it. If I had to redo a kitchen, I would get just 2 gas burners and 2 plug in induction burners. I would use the gas burners for simmer, woks, high heat. But I would use induction with cast iron for the rest.

If budget is an issue, built in induction burners like Thermador or Bosch are going to be too expensive. That is why you should consider a 2 burner cooktop with gas or electric plus the plug in induction burners (which can also be used outdoors and cost ~$70). Just my take.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Would love an induction range with convection oven. Very interested in this thread. Please continue. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    We have a Wolf convection double oven. I would not bother with convection, or a very expensive oven. Were I to redo the kitchen, I would get a mid-range, stainless steel double oven and save money. I am sure convection is good for something, but nothing that I have found. The best feature is the covered lower heating element so that it does not get mucked up with food drippings.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have a gas range and a two element induction unit. Induction provides much better control. I still use the gas but kind of wish I had gone full induction.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Navymom
    Options
    I've decided on the 36" Bosch Flex Induction. Thanks for the input.
    Denton TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh that's super cool! You are going to love it. I would buy that in a second. Love the flex surface. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    We are a few months away from starting our kitchen remodel. My wife wants a Wolf gas cooktop (we have an old electric cooktop now). I really like the looks and function of the induction. I may have to check one of these out. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    Glad to find this thread as I'm searching for a 36" induction cooktop right now.  Hoping you all have some additional insight and input on options to consider now.  Thanks!
    Arlington, TX