Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged Meatloaf - Quite a Treat

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Its been awhile since I've done a meatloaf on the egg but after last nights meal I may be doing more of them. Simple and easy and the kids actually went back for seconds, even WITH the veggies in it. I got the recipe from the new magazine by Rachael Ray, some pretty good stuff in there and they truly are 30 minute meals. I know, I know, I think she's a bit annoying and sometimes too happy but she does cook some pretty great stuff and with baseball, soccer, football, dance and gymnastics etc. etc. schedules all pulling us in every direction each night, the wife and I need all the help we can get.[p]Pretty simple recipe, lets see if I can get it right here.[p]1.5 pounds of ground turkey
1 pound of ground pork
1 small carrot diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1 small onion diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
About 6 strips of bacon[p]Heat a skillet and soften the carrot, onion, garlic and pepper. Mix together the pork, turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and the veggies. Make it into a loaf and place it in a pan to cook. Top it with the bacon. Cook at 375 for about an hour.[p]I did mine indirect on the egg as opposed to the oven, the smokey flavor was awesome. Same time and temps.[p]Hope you enjoy it if you try it. I'll let you know after lunch today what kind of sandwiches it makes but I think they should be pretty good.[p]Troy

Comments

• sprinter
    Options
    I knew I would forget something, ketchup and worst. sauce. I've attached the link to the recipe.[p]Troy
    [ul][li]Meatloaf Recipe[/ul]
  • Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    sprinter,
    If you really want to really egg it and make a unique meatloaf, do what an old fried of mine ised to do. He would insert a preboiled egg (insert horizontically in the middle) in the raw ground beef before cooking. After the meatloaf is cooked and when you slice it, the middle pieces of the meatloaf have a cross section piece of boiled egg in the middle of it.......really neat looking....

• sprinter
    Options
    gene,[p]When I was a kid my parents used to cook meatloaf wrapped around carrots. They figured that since we liked the meatloaf we would like the carrots cooked IN the meatloaf. Nice try mom and dad. It did look cool when you cut it, little carrot rounds in every slice, but when you're a kid, veggies are veggies and nothing they could do could change that. It was a noble and unique effort though, I have to give them that. I like the egg idea.[p]Troy
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    sprinter,
    I've been wanting to try a meatloaf in the egg and that looks like a winner. Everything's better with bacon! Yep it'll be tomorrow nights cook. We've got an empty fridge and Wendy's taking the baby to Florida leaving me 5 days to eggsperiment.
    Cheers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    sprinter,
    i really like rachels meatloaf recipes. heres one stuffed with proscuitto and cheeses, raisins and pine nuts

[ul][li]meatloaf[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sprinter
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Great looking sammiches. I'm really looking forward to lunch now.[p]Troy
  • sprinter,[p]I just saw her a day or two ago cooking "comfort" food and she made a meatloaf using a cupcake pan. Looked interesting and the kids may like the small sized meatloaves.[p]Howard