Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Any gardeners out there?

Comments

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Here's my mess of a garden this year.  We've had so much rain here I haven't been able to get the tomatoes tied up properly.  I need to do some tending this weekend.  In this pic there are tomato plants on the left, then squash, then zucchini, then poblano peppers.  And mixed throughout are onions and corn. 

Next house is hopefully going to have at least 2 beds and each of them will be bigger than this one.  I have this one setup with an automatic drip system and it's so great to have in the middle of the summer heat.

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Botch said:
    almost done planting, i see some spots in there for cabbage =)
    string beans,cukes, dill, hot pepper clipped in half, thyme, oregano, thai basil, and sunflower in pot one

I'd keep an eye on the sunflower; they get BIG and I don't think I'd try to plant one in a pot, even by itself.  

if it becomes a problem ill take it out, never grew one before =)  those are cylinders, no bottoms and the water level is only a foot down from the grass levell, full sun for 12 hours and i only need to water maybe once a week unless it rains, the soil never gets dry in that area and my crannberry bog will eventually surround it with berries
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Picked the first cucumber today.  

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Very happy with VegTrug so far

Guys, when those cucumbers start coming in by the dozen, wrap each one individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate. They'll stay fresh for a couple of weeks.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice fellas. Looking good. My garden is doing great as well. Single stem tomatoes are all carrying fruit. @Dredger thanks for the tip on cucumbers. We always end up giving a ton away before they spoil. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • We're finally in the ground and making it up as we go.  Maters are in pots.

Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Looking good @Fred19Flintstone
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    My humble herb garden (the flower arrangement I bought pre-planted).

Chubbs, I pruned my tomato plant as you suggested (hard to do, I removed half the plant) but wow it really has bushed out; thanks!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Anyone know why the bottoms of my tomatoes are yellowing and starting to die?  The tops and rest of plant looks great. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Anyone know why the bottoms of my tomatoes are yellowing and starting to die?  The tops and rest of plant looks great. 

Could be a combination of irregular water, some type of fungus or bugs. I prune my lower limbs all the way up to the first blossum. This increases airflow to prevent fungus and less bugs. I would prune a lot of the brown off and mix 1 TB of baking soda and 1tsp of dish soap in a 1 gallon pump sprayer and give it a good soaking in the morning. This should treat fungus and bugs. Prune those babies!!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @chubbs it's raining sideways so no pic, but I have one very healthy cucumber plant and three pale yellow plants that even put out pale fruit. Same deal?  They get watered the same and I've sprayed a few times. Now the leaves closest to the roots are brown and crumpled. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Chubbs said:

Could be a combination of irregular water, some type of fungus or bugs. I prune my lower limbs all the way up to the first blossum. This increases airflow to prevent fungus and less bugs. I would prune a lot of the brown off and mix 1 TB of baking soda and 1tsp of dish soap in a 1 gallon pump sprayer and give it a good soaking in the morning. This should treat fungus and bugs. Prune those babies!!
    @Chubbs , thanks for the help.  One question though.  Just any dish soap?  We have a scented Dawn and is anti-bacterial.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Planted May 18th this year, its been more than dry here for a few weeks, however the weather network this morning is calling for 80+mm Thursday-Sat, (3.15") but I wont believe that till I see it. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @tarheelmatt we're seeing the same thing - weeks of unending rain caused all of our tomatoes to grow very quickly - very tall and leggy.  we didn't get out there to prune as we should have.  I cleaned out a bunch of dead or yellowing branches last night.  we're not having any issues with the tomatoes, they're fruiting really well, but the plants can't support themselves so we're having to improvise.  Once we harvest the current ton of tomatoes that have formed already, we decided we're going to pull half of them and put in some new plants.  long enough season here that it won't be a problem at all.
  • tarheelmatt
    Legume said:
    @tarheelmatt we're seeing the same thing - weeks of unending rain caused all of our tomatoes to grow very quickly - very tall and leggy.  we didn't get out there to prune as we should have.  I cleaned out a bunch of dead or yellowing branches last night.  we're not having any issues with the tomatoes, they're fruiting really well, but the plants can't support themselves so we're having to improvise.  Once we harvest the current ton of tomatoes that have formed already, we decided we're going to pull half of them and put in some new plants.  long enough season here that it won't be a problem at all.
    Thanks for the reply.  I'm gonna prune them maybe this evening.  I already top pruned them as they were well over my 6' T-posts and cages.  They seem to have a lot of good growth, except for the bottom.  

This was 6/5.  Had lots of rain and now the cukes are to the top of the fence.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs said:

@Chubbs , thanks for the help.  One question though.  Just any dish soap?  We have a scented Dawn and is anti-bacterial.
    They typically say get one in lemon scent and as plain as possible-- not all of the degreasers etc
  • LHP
    LHP Posts: 26
    Here's my little garden this year- just a few varieties of tomatoes, zucchinis, a sweet pepper that is refusing to grow and a couple of container tomatillos that are growing like kudzu. 

Middle Peninsula VA
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Here are my first cucumbers of the year. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Nice @Firemanyz !

@AlbertaEgger your property is beautiful.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Thanks @legume , good to see everyones pictures, there is some great stuff out there!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Just pot planted and placed on our lanai some rosemary, thyme, sweet basil, mint, flat leaf Italian parsley, curly leaf parsley and 3 pots of cilantro using slow bolt seeds. They like it up there.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • LHP
    LHP Posts: 26
    I was just out killing squash bugs and managed to squirt blue bug guts directly in my eye.  Fun stuff. 
    Middle Peninsula VA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Do flower gardens count @Chubbs ?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Chubbs
    Do flower gardens count @Chubbs ?
    Heck yeah man! Post em up
  • Chubbs

LHP said:
    I was just out killing squash bugs and managed to squirt blue bug guts directly in my eye.  Fun stuff. 
    Pics or didn't happen
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Just a quick shot of our herb garden

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Just a few of the beds. 

HuskerMaMa (Tina) repainted/restored Husker Wind ornament (she did a nice job and sealed it as well).  My Grandfather made him and probably 15-20 others that he gave away to family and friends about 35+ yrs ago. 
    He used to make the wooden spiral ornaments too and several others styles. 

Front Berm. 

Bed with rose trellis to the left of the driveway gate. 

Up on the lanai. Some flowers and herbs. Cilantro is coming in nicely now (we'll plant with seeds from here on out for these). 

And just took a walk up front. I'm guessing between the extreme heatwave, wind, squirrels, birds and other wildlife 3/4 of our pears on our tree are gone :disappointed: 
    Got to go out later when it cools down to the upper 80s to get some water on our new citrus trees. Lots of fruit coming in on all the trees. I just hope they can keep most of it intact. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Nice setups, Husker!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure