Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin area BBQ

Options
I already know the Big Guns(Franklin, saltlick, etc).
Do you guys have any advice for the small hidden jewels???

Any of you guys going to the Rot Rally next week?
Thanks

Felipe
Men, easier fed than understood!!

Comments

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    I don't agree with this list 100% but it's a good start and a good read
    http://www.fedmanwalking.com/content/austin-bbq-top-10
    Austin, TX
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    We did Terry Blacks in Austin ... then Blacks and Kreuz in Lockhart on a little road trip to San Antonio.  Terry Blacks was the unanimous favorite in all categories across 5 guys.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'd hit La Barbecue and Micklethwait Craft Meats before Salt Lick or Blacks.  Others that are worth a visit are John Mueller Meat Co. and Stiles Switch BBQ.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    thanks for posting that link @Eggpharmer I hadn't seen that site before.  this comment on Franklins made me LOL, just about blew tea out of my nose

Intangibles: We share 96 percent of our DNA with chimpanzees. You can have 96 percent of the Franklin experience at any of the places on this list. Is the extra 4 percent worth five hours in line? Your call, monkey man. Evolution might be faster.

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    I am not from Texas, but have been to Austin quite a few times for work, I love the sausages from Iron Works BBQ, right downtown easy to find.  The rest of their bbq is good, but their sausages are outstanding in my opinion.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    YYZegger said:
    I am not from Texas, but have been to Austin quite a few times for work, I love the sausages from Iron Works BBQ, right downtown easy to find.  The rest of their bbq is good, but their sausages are outstanding in my opinion.
    No one ever mentions Iron Works, but I freaking love them. There beef ribs are by far the best I've ever had.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YYZegger
    Options
    YYZegger said:
    No one ever mentions Iron Works, but I freaking love them. There beef ribs are by far the best I've ever had.
    I agree, I think its not as popular as others because it doesn't get many reviews and such, but its been there for a very long time, and it never disappoints when I've been there.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wait until the McRib comes out, then hit Mickey D's
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ddub
    ddub Posts: 7
    Options
    Louie Muellers in Taylor has a sliced brisket sammich that is heaven on a bun.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Franklins- don't think about it just do it
    Greensboro, NC
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Aside from Franklin I'd say John Mueller's first and the La Barbeque.  I think the pitmaster at La Barbeque is going to moving to the East coast soon to start his own place.  Might check that out and see if it's already happened or not.  They say they've got an apprentice ready to take over but who knows.

See some people mentioned Iron Works - that place has been around forever and does good work.  If you're looking for a nice casual place that won't be overly crowded definitely hit them up. 

If you're willing to drive you have to consider the 4 places in Lockhart but also consider Snow's in Lexington.  I really want to go there and see Tootsie in action before she retires or something.

Saltlick is kinda meh IMO.  I understand that they actually cook their meats in a gas smoker in the back and then just finish them on the open pit for show.  It's a cool place to go hang out and shoot the sh!t on their patio but don't expect BBQ heaven.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • cazzy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jimithing said:
    Aside from Franklin I'd say John Mueller's first and the La Barbeque.  I think the pitmaster at La Barbeque is going to moving to the East coast soon to start his own place.  Might check that out and see if it's already happened or not.  They say they've got an apprentice ready to take over but who knows.

See some people mentioned Iron Works - that place has been around forever and does good work.  If you're looking for a nice casual place that won't be overly crowded definitely hit them up. 

If you're willing to drive you have to consider the 4 places in Lockhart but also consider Snow's in Lexington.  I really want to go there and see Tootsie in action before she retires or something.

Saltlick is kinda meh IMO.  I understand that they actually cook their meats in a gas smoker in the back and then just finish them on the open pit for show.  It's a cool place to go hang out and shoot the sh!t on their patio but don't expect BBQ heaven.
    Esaul has been the head pitmaster at La Barbecue for a few months and the quality has yet to fall off.  It still blows John Mueller away.  

John Lewis flies back and forth and checks the quality and what not, but his new venture (Lewis Barbecue) drops this October/November in Charleston, South Carolina. After that happens, then we will see if the quality drops as he will pretty much live in the restaurant.  He was hoping for a sooner, but he said permits are taking forever. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jimithing said:
    Interesting article on John Lewis, the pitmaster you mentioned. His new place, Lewis Barbecue will be in Charleston SC, the heart of pork que. Hope it works for him! Not opening until Fall 2015 though.

Just learned that La Barbecue does not mean "The Barbecue". La stands for LeAnn, as in Mueller.

Here's the article... http://www.destination-bbq.com/john-lewis-brings-texas-bbq-to-lowcountry-with-lewis-barbecue/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YYZegger
    Options
    One last place I really enjoyed in Austin was Stiles Switch, it was a little bit out of town, not much, but definitely worth the drive I thought.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    Thanks a lot, I've already been to Kreuz, Blacks, in lockheart. Still want to go to central market.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Don't forget there's a ton of nightlife downtown. If you're into that. Should be off the charts this being the first dry weekend in quite some time.
    Gittin' there...
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Thanks

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was in Austin about a month ago for a convention and got dragged to Iron Works. Wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Not the best BBQ in the world, but tasty and the brisket was better than I thought it would be. Would I go back? If I was at the convention center and my work was paying for it? Hell yeah. Althought that fried chicken place around the other corner was damn good, too.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Oh, and if you want an experience and BYOB, Salt Lick is cool. Just don't expect much from their BBQ.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2015
    Options
    agree with all but I will say the original Salt Lick in driftwood is a really cool place. Not the best Q but the best place to hang out and have fun by far. BYOB, 2000 of your closest friends under the live oaks listening to live music out in the hill country. It's a very cool TX experience and if your expectations are right, the food is pretty good most of the time. I always take people from out of town to Salt Lick first. They don't know any better about the Q and the experience can't be beat. I've never had anyone from out of town that didn't rave about it. I kind of snicker because I know it's not the best but it's such a cool place people just love it. I took Henapple to the Round Rock location and it sucked but I've been to driftwood twice since and was pleasantly surprised both times.

If you want great Q, for me it starts and ends at Franklin. LABBQ is good too but I think you can get that other places when they are not at their best. When they are, they are tough to beat. it's been 50/50 for me. Think I'll head down there tomorrow and hope they are on the money....been a while. I'll see if I can dig Cazzy's nose of of their asses while I'm there :lol: 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    VI took me to Micklethwait Craft Meats. Very good product....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @mickey, did the Vespa ride mess your hair up?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @mickey, did the Vespa ride mess your hair up?
    NO, but the pinkness of the Vespa hurt my manhood. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• andres1987
    andres1987 Posts: 44
    Options
    Franklin #1, john mueller #2. salt lick is way overrated except for the experience. still yet to try micklethwait, freedmen's, or la barbeque
    Austin, Texas
  • FlyingTivo
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well, im back, but just as @Griffin  I got side lined to Iron Works because the rest were closed as it was 3PM. Were in a party of 8 and we order about 8Lbs of meat, including Brisket, Ribs and Sausage. The meat flew right of the tray, and i do have to agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker , none of my friends knows best about BBQ. So much that we stayed and hanged out for 3 hour drinking beer. The Brisket was standard with good flavour, the problem i had is that while watching the cook cut the brisket, he was really butchering the meat and trying to remove all the fat. I much really prefer a nicely cut piece of meat .
    The Sausage was very good for me, since i don't have much to compare it with since in Mexico we don't have it. The ribs had good flavour but were lacking meat.

Well as for the trip, i have to say that Hill Country is amazing, and with the recent rainfall, all the rivers were flowing beautiful. Here is a picture somewhere between Medina and Vanderpool.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Another place with Q available at night is Stiles Switch Cue & Brew.  The Pitmaster has ties to Louie Mueller Barbecue as Lance Kirkpatrick worked under Bobby Mueller.  After John left to Austin, he stepped in and worked under Bobby up until he passed away.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the area, great pic.

I was down on dirty 6th for a little while Saturday night and I was impressed with the crowd - the ROT rally crowd was a much better behaved crowd than typical 6th street drunks.

• YYZegger
    Options
    @FlyingTivo Nice Bike!  Glad you liked Iron Works Sausages, I really like them myself!  The rest is good also, but I never tried Franklins yet, always a huge lineup....
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    My next Vespa!
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Early Saturday!