Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ain't no thang but a chicken wang

theyolksonyou
theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
I wasn't planning on posting a wing cook, so no egg pics. But I learned something so here goes. 

Im home alone tonight (which can be dangerous) and since the wife doesn't like wings, I took the opportunity. 

Fired es up the MM and shooting for 400ish ID.  Got it rolling and thru them on with one part Habeñero death dust, two parts plow boys plus a little cornstarch. Thought I'd let the temp creep up a little, made an adjustment and came in the house. Went back to check on them at the half hour mark and temp was approaching 500!  Stick me with the pen and we're ready to eat!

Best skin I've had to date. Was planning on a little direct time at the end, but when the pen snapped thru the skin, I knew I was onto something. 

A little char where they overhung the stone, no biggie. 

Ill continue to cook wings ID at high temps. 

Comments

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Looks like a winner winner chicken dinner 
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Yeah, those look fantastic!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice wangs Jason!!!   I've been a fan of the creeping high heat indirect cook for a while. It is the only way I do any poultry with the skin still on.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    @Mattman3969 I guess it's something you have to learn on your own, but I'm a convert!
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Yep...tired of chewy skin.  I'm all in for high heat to crisp skin then back off until part is at temp. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @Mattman3969 I guess it's something you have to learn on your own, but I'm a convert!
    I found it accidentally figured it out one night under the influence of a few adult beverages!! Prolly on a batchin night just like you just did   Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    High temp indirect is where it at for wangs.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Awesome. Wings might be my favorite thing to egg. Even better with "it's my rub" thrown in. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Great looking grub brother yolk. You have been putting that MM to good use. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Nice going @theyolksonyou.  One question, does the corn starch make much of a difference?  I have never used it.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    @QingEsq honestly, I don't know. These things went from the store to the egg in less than an hour. I've tried the corn starch on Spatch in the fridge overnight to no avail, but I ftc'd those for lunch on a Sunday so a bad comp. I really think the high temp ID is a factor, but more research would be in order. 

If if I can only get the wife out of the house for supper more often.....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Some of the best inventions and discoveries have happen because of mistakes, accidents, and plain forgetfulness. 

I ate a couple of @RRP's wings last Saturday at the local egg fest ... maybe I'll have to combine his recipe with the high temp indirect cooking.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Some good looking "wangs" We did some last night. We usually go around 450 indirect unless it creeps up. 500 works as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I've been doing the same thing with spatchcock chickens lately. Although I don't use cornstarch. I make my spatchcock chickens on the smaller eggs and the skin seem to crisp up just right most of the time (Always comes out perfect on the medium at 425-450). When I've used cornstarch though, the skin has become so tough you can barely bite through it. 

Nice looking wings Yolk.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Thanks for the feedback,450 is the highest I would go, now I'm  not  scared to go higher
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice Wings Jason
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • otter
    otter Posts: 340
    Guess I'll have to move up to a higher temp.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE