Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-In Ribeye (with pics)

Options
Bone-Ins were on the special and the new Publix that just opened up near me so I couldn't pass on these bad boys. Typically I cook my steaks on HIGH heat (700 degrees) for about 2 and a half minutes each side and it comes out to a perfect Pittsburgh medium rare. This time I was running a bit low on charcoal so could only get the BGE up to about 500 so I did a little bit longer on each side but it still came out pretty solid. Not as much sear as I usually like but the flavor was phenomenal! S + P only on the steak and then let it rest under foil with a pad of butter for a few minutes after pulling it off the egg.

Charlotte, NC

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    awesome man

XLBGE 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Oh boy!!!!  That's incredible!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks great!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I just came in to give you kudos on your profile pic . But nice ribeye as well
    Toronto
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    I just came in to give you kudos on your profile pic . But nice ribeye as well
    Hahaha phan I take it? Thank you, sir! 
    Charlotte, NC
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Yup  , Been seeing those guys since 92 . Have 300+ shows under my belt .
    Looking forward to seeing them this summer !!
    Toronto
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Man yeah.. Looks awesome
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    Holy smokes those are some impressive stats! Sadly I didn't start seeing them until 2003 (2.0 n00b) but have managed to squeeze in just under 100 since then. Would have killed to see them back in the day tho. Definitely pumped for summer as well! 
    Charlotte, NC
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looking Marvelous.  I had a rib eye one Saturday night and the wife and kid shared a t-bone.  They were good too.  That reminds me, I am about out of lump as well.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Wow that looks good! We did 2 last night as well, S + P only, agreed! Reverse seared them. Very nice!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Holy smokes those are some impressive stats! Sadly I didn't start seeing them until 2003 (2.0 n00b) but have managed to squeeze in just under 100 since then. Would have killed to see them back in the day tho. Definitely pumped for summer as well! 
    what shows are you going to ? I am hitting up Blossum and Magnaball . 
    Toronto
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Sexy
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nicely done a Sir.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    Nice!!!
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options

Doing ATL, Raleigh and possibly Saturday night MPP.

Charlotte, NC
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    We are also getting a new Publix. It will open somewhere around December.
    I have been shopping at Publix in nearby areas for years. I have noticed a continuous decline in the beef quality at Publix over the years. This may simply reflect a decline in beef quality industry wide.
    The beef at Publix is supposed to be Choice unless otherwise specified. I'm sure it is choice however I feel it is on the low end of the choice grade.

Has anyone else noticed any reduction in beef quality?

I would like to say a bone in Ribeye is one of my favorite steaks and the one in your picture looks great.
  • pantsypants
    Options

Sounds great !! Cant wait for them to start playing !!  I think they are in top form right now and playing better then they ever have . Will be interesting to hear how these Chicago dead shows influence Treys playing .

Toronto
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    That looks great! 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nicely done
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @Biff_Tannen May I ask what band you are talking about?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options

Sounds great !! Cant wait for them to start playing !!  I think they are in top form right now and playing better then they ever have . Will be interesting to hear how these Chicago dead shows influence Treys playing .
    Yea....would love to catch a Dead cover somewhere. That Va Beach '98 Terrapin Station is fun. Wishful thinking but maybe Trey will have something up his sleeve! 

Charlotte, NC
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @Biff_Tannen May I ask what band you are talking about?

Phish

Charlotte, NC
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That steak is on point!  Great presentation. 
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Yeah , I got suckered into going to those Chicago shows . I am not much a deadhead but it should be fun .
    I would imagine phish will be covering some dead tunes . I think that in the fall Mike will be on tour with Bob weir and John Mayer  which could be pretty cool .
    Toronto