Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foil is Overrated

Options
Laxin16
Laxin16 Posts: 62
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
I smoked some St.Louis ribs this weekend and they came out AMAZING! In the past, I've used the 3-2-1 method and wrapped in foil with mixed results. This time I didn't foil and they came out awesome! I will never foil again. 

- Two racks of St.Louis 
- Rubbed and rested overnight 
- Cooked indirect at 225-250 for about 5hrs 
- Mopped with BBQ the last 20 minutes 

Do you guys always foil? 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    always mixed results for foil for me, timing doesnt seem to work out well with the foil stage for me. i just cook them now =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    No!  More "no-foil" than "foil", but they're all good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like the foil stage, I always do 2 hours at 250* (bone down), 1.5-2 hours foiled at 250* with butter, apple juice, and brown sugar (meat down), and then 45 min to 1 hour (bone down) at 250* on the grill with a couple coats of BBQ sauce.  They come off when they tell me they are ready, bend test or probe test, never that worried about the clock.  The above is for Baby Backs, for side ribs I add another 30-60 minutes for the first phase.  

Tried numerous methods, but I always feel this version gives me the best overall finish and consistency.   
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    I like the foil stage, I always do 2 hours at 250* (bone down), 1.5-2 hours foiled at 250* with butter, apple juice, and brown sugar (meat down), and then 45 min to 1 hour (bone down) at 250* on the grill with a couple coats of BBQ sauce.  They come off when they tell me they are ready, bend test or probe test, never that worried about the clock.  The above is for Baby Backs, for side ribs I add another 30-60 minutes for the first phase.  

Tried numerous methods, but I always feel this version gives me the best overall finish and consistency.   
    Laxin16 said:
    I smoked some St.Louis rib this weekend and they came out AMAZING! In the past, I've used the 3-2-1 method and wrapped in foil with had mixed results. This time I didn't foil and they came out awesome! I will never foil again. 

- Two racks of St.Louis 
    - Rubbed and rested overnight 
    - Cooked indirect at 225-250 for about 5hrs 
    - Mopped with BBQ the last 20 minutes 

Do you guys always foil? 
    I done both of these ways, at 3 to 4 hours at 275 no foil and about 2 hours at 300 no foil.  They have all produced good results for me, but the last ones with spears I did 2-1-1 and they were awesome.  The wife would like 3-1.5 with foil and eat them right after so they are fall off the bone.  I prefer all methods as long as they taste good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Options
    Foil always just screws up my nice bark I've achieved, or just steams the rub off into a puddle of rub juice..I just cookem until they past the bend test..
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @Laxin16... my first few cooks were with foil and then I went without. Results were terrific! I just cook until they pass the bend test and probe like butter at 225°. Welcome to the no-wrap brigade! =)

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I have cooked both ways many of times. I do find I get a more consistent product in foil. We cook in 5 layers of flavor and the foiling stage is very important stage to this flavor layering process. Always spare ribs.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Using foil becomes a crutch for ribs or brisket, hence the term Texas Crutch, IMO. In a kamado, don't think it is required, in the kettle, it is suggested. Ribs open to the smoke will have more flavour than those braised in a foil pouch. I have foiled some really fatty ribs to help steam and render the fat, but usually, no foil - other than the ghetto drip pan.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Using foil becomes a crutch for ribs or brisket, hence the term Texas Crutch, IMO. In a kamado, don't think it is required, in the kettle, it is suggested. Ribs open to the smoke will have more flavour than those braised in a foil pouch. I have foiled some really fatty ribs to help steam and render the fat, but usually, no foil - other than the ghetto drip pan.
    The braising is to get them a little more tender and by adding other things like brown sugar to get a different flavor is nice and the foil keeps the sugar from burning.  Most of the time after 2 hours the ribs will be over 150 or closer to 160 and they won't really take much more smoke in.  I have done both with and without, but I think I like the flavors I get with foiling.  It's kind of like the thread I posted whether to sauce them or not.  I was a no sauce guy tell I tired a new finishing glaze I found that is fantastic.  You just put it on in the last 15 or 20 minutes.  I may have to do a side by side test just to see how they compare.  Darn, no I have to eat more ribs.   =)  I think either way is good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Oh,yeah, I am firmly in the no foil, 250-ish for about 5 hours, or just until done for SLSRs camp.
    Has always worked for me.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    Options
    If you're looking for a different technique and/or flavor, we've always had great luck with Alton Brown's ribs.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe.html

They're very tender - and convenient when the weather sucks and I don't feel like standing in the rain by the egg.

I think I'll try soux vide (sp?) on ribs next...
    Atlanta, GA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've only done a few and no foil with good results.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA