Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

worked out well

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The mustard rub I tried on pork chops worked out well. I followed GFW's advice and did 1, 1 1/4 chops at 650-700 for three minutes a side then let them dwell for 11 minutes. My wife wanted an internal temp of 170 so I added a few minutes to the dwell time. GFW recommends 7 minutes for an internal temp of 160. Next time I think I'll split the difference and do a 9 minute dwell. [p]The mustard creates a very nice char/crust on the surface and I'm guessing that seals in juices. I used a honey mustard and there was no appreciable taste on the chops. Normally, we'd back chops in the oven for 45 minutes. This thing was over in 17 minutes or so and a lot tastier. The chops were so good I don't think I'll use a bbq rub on anything but the mustard next time.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    char buddy ,
    I was skeptical about the mustard at first, and now I use it on everything. Chicken pieces, fish, steaks, chops, ribs, and sometimes butts and briskets. Been experimenting with mixing yellow with dijon (or other specialty mustards like the green peppercorn variety I got in Toronto). Also been toying with mixing seasonings in with the mustard to creat a paste....and sometimes adding a bit of sesame oil, honey or sauces....or peanut butter for chicken. It always seems to add something to the flavor, and creates a nice crust.
    Nice report!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ