Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Member - Introduction

Options
DinnerIsComing
DinnerIsComing Posts: 63
edited June 2015 in Forum List
Howdy folks. New forum member here, thought I'd check in and introduce myself.

I was introduced to the Big Green Egg from a friend, whom received one from his mother that happened to win 3 in a sweepstakes contest. Giving 1 each to her husband, my friend and my friends brother. This was a few years ago now.

My stepfather picked one up a couple of years ago as well. So I'm more than familiar with the unit and what it can do but it was just never in the cards to pick one up.

The suggestion to get it now actually came from SWMBO, so the fact she was so on board meant I really needed to pounce. I contemplated on the decision to get either a Large or an XL, which lead me to this forum and faced with a bigger predicament... a Large + Small or the XL.

Well there's no way in hell my wife would let me come home with 2 Eggs in one day, despite the cost factor of an XL vs the L + S, so it was go big or go home!

My local retailer should be receiving my XL Big Green Egg this week and will be calling me to set up delivery when they get it in.

I am absolutely ecstatic and can't wait. =D

I look forward to sharing cooks and picking up wisdom from my new brethren of Egg-Heads!

In the meantime, brace yourselves. Dinner Is Coming.
Brace yourself,
DinnerIsComing
 XLBGE
22" Weber Kettle
Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

Comments

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    LOL love the GoT reference.   Welcome.  I bought my LBGE almost 4 years ago and have never looked back.  Well, except to laugh a little at myself in my "Pre-Egg" stage. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the ride!
    canuckland
  • DinnerIsComing
    DinnerIsComing Posts: 63
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the welcomes! I too am interested to see the results of life, post-Egg. Already gifting my Weber Kettle to a friend. I'll keep the gasser with a few tanks in the garage for emergency purposes but I don't see it coming out much, if it all! Lol
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the fun and "don't call me late for dinner".
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    Welcome.  Don't be shy.  Also, you can find a lot of information quickly through the search engine to the right.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the machine. The cost to get in is absolutely minimal compared to the cost to stay in. As stated before, this is a very cool group of folks, with an unbelievable amount of information on just about everything you will eventually face regarding the BGE. Have fun, enjoy the ride, and drink the wine!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Trott
    Trott Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello Everyone, 

I too am a new egger but not quite as familiar as DinnerIsComing. I have cooked 3 times on the egg so far (Italian dressing marinated chicken breasts w/ mustard powder+paprika+salt+pepper mix sprinkled on). Each time it has come out great. 

I have one quick question. I have Grill Grates from my previous gas grill. Does anyone use then on the Egg or should I give them away? Thanks and glad there is such a great community to learn and share. 
    Columbus, GA Large BGE est May 2015
  • JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    Options
    Trott -  Welcome to the EggLandia - if your grates fit into your egg you might want to use it/them to set up an elevated grate/rack (you'll find plenty of references on the forum).  It couldn't hurt to hang onto them for awhile while you're getting used to the egg.  FWIW, we elevate our pizza stone on a spare circular rack rigged up with a handful of stainless steel nuts and bolts.  Pies on the egg are outstanding.  

Just one guy's thought - and welcome;
    JC
    Atlanta, GA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Welcome, you know the treat your in for.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome to the sickness. I like the Avatar/Handle.  Either your just well versed or you've trolled here before and already know the lingo (SWMBO--- which personally I prefer to use...my bride, my wife, HuskerMaMa or my BEST Half... :smile:  ). If you already have intentions on purchasing a second egg in the future I'd say go with a LBGE and a 2nd LBGE to share eggcessories....or the combo we have fits our lifestyle. The LBGE is the most popular and thus aftermarket and OEM eggcessories are readily available.  I look forward to you cooking. Enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Trott Welcome aboard.  Are the gas grill grids CI (cast iron)?  Material they're made of?
    What shape....round, rectangular, etc. How well do the fit in your egg?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Howdy folks. New forum member here, thought I'd check in and introduce myself.

I was introduced to the Big Green Egg from a friend, whom received one from his mother that happened to win 3 in a sweepstakes contest. Giving 1 each to her husband, my friend and my friends brother. This was a few years ago now.

My stepfather picked one up a couple of years ago as well. So I'm more than familiar with the unit and what it can do but it was just never in the cards to pick one up.

The suggestion to get it now actually came from SWMBO, so the fact she was so on board meant I really needed to pounce. I contemplated on the decision to get either a Large or an XL, which lead me to this forum and faced with a bigger predicament... a Large + Small or the XL.

Well there's no way in hell my wife would let me come home with 2 Eggs in one day, despite the cost factor of an XL vs the L + S, so it was go big or go home!

My local retailer should be receiving my XL Big Green Egg this week and will be calling me to set up delivery when they get it in.

I am absolutely ecstatic and can't wait. =D

I look forward to sharing cooks and picking up wisdom from my new brethren of Egg-Heads!

In the meantime, brace yourselves. Dinner Is Coming.
    Welcome I'll be looking for your post 
    Ross
    My Blog http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Welcome @DinnerIsComing  and @Trott.  One thing I would suggest is to try to keep as much of your existing grill gear as you can without upsetting SWMBO.  You may use some of it more than you think you will.  I persoally still us my weber kettle for rotisserie cooking and for overflow/different temp for bigger cooks.  Also, kettles and most other grills are lighter and more portable than the egg.  I guess what I am saying is hoard all grills you can!  Just don't tell my SWMBO, er, uh, I meant my greatest half that I wrote that.   ;)
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Welcome!  I'm a BGE newbie too.   
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    Thanks again all. I'm a newly registered member but 2 years of ogling over Eggs and running searches on it led me to this forum a great number of times so I might have picked up a little lingo along the way. :smiley: 

I wanted to get one last year but the best half and I bought a house and all funds were tied up while in the settling in and minor renovations process.

Now, my time has finally come. The suspense is terrible. I hope it'll last.

Not really. Dying to get my Egg on!
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Life as you know it is about to change...welcome

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Welcome, enjoy and post!
    McKinney, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Welcome. You'll love the XL
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Welcome, come on in and pull up a egg. 
  • tridogdude
    tridogdude Posts: 136
    Options
    Welcome. You won't be disappointed. Lots of great people and great info here. 
  • Trott
    Trott Posts: 4
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Grill Grates are made of anodized aluminum. I have 3 that are in a rectangular shape. Only 2 fit on there but I am going to continue to use them. Only problem is more difficulty in taking out the grate to light the charcoal. You can check them out a http://www.grillgrate.com/ . They have some cut to fit the BGE but I am just going to make do.  

@QingEsq I have some hoarding tendencies so it wont be a problem.  =)
    Columbus, GA Large BGE est May 2015
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Trott Try it out. I had an anodized aluminum griddle from an old gasser I was able to utilize a little while until the coating began to flake/peel. Look at getting CI pans, skillets, griddles, DOs, etc they work quite well in the egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    CI pans and skillets are worth having anyway I might add! Check Craigslist and garage sales for cheap pieces that only need a little TLC to bring back to life.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers - @DinnerIsComing, @Trott, and @Trixie_Belle

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DinnerIsComing
    Options
    Just got the call. The Egg arrives tomorrow.

Dinner Is Coming!
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Welcome to all the newcomers - @DinnerIsComing, @Trott, and @Trixie_Belle
    What he said. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DinnerIsComing
    Options
    Got chicken wings on now. Nothing fancy for my first cook.

20 minutes of indirect, tossed in bbq sauce then 10 minutes direct. It's late and I'm the only one eating, but been waiting a week so wanted to use the damn thing. lol
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle