Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Yeti Question....

So I've finally decided to break down and buy a Yeti. The question now is which one? I love the concept and ability to be more mobile with the Hopper 30 but don't know if its better bang for the buck to buy one of the hard bodies (50qt & up)...
Input appreciated!

Comments

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Which would you use more?
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I haven't heard great reports on the hopper so I would definitely pass given the price.  This was mentioned in another thread but I would get a polar bear 24 before a Yeti Hopper:
    Depending on the color they are $60-$80 right now.  If you wait until December they are buy one get one free.  

For a soft cooler, they keep ice extremely well and it is the only soft cooler I have had that doesn't leak.  They won't keep ice as long as a hard yeti, but I would wager they are as good or better than the hopper. 

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bear-Coolers-Cooler-Mossy/dp/B001PCUFZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433773277&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+bear+cooler+24+pack&pebp=1433773289437&perid=15GEGHC09JSGE74A9FRB

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    I've mentioned this on another post but I have a Yeti, a K2, and a Orka.  All are hard side coolers and the Yeti is the only one that will not hold ice longer than 1 day.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    from a quick search the hopper 30 will be available in december
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I have a Hopper 30 and a Tundra 105. The Hopper is nice for some beers and a sammie and the ice lasts impressively long. However, the performance of the Tundra line is incomparable. If you decide to go with the Tundra, get the size larger than you think you need. You'll be happy you did...

I pre-chill my 105 as directed and my ice lasts a week to 10 days. (this is only possible if there aren't any opening and closings) 
  • I got the hopper 20 to carry on the boat and pool... 
    good side - easy to carry, very light on the shoulder when full. 
    bad side -  zipper is so tough the gf can barely open the cooler and the opening is very narrow which makes putting ice in and getting a beer out a little troublesome.  

Overall I like it for what I'm using it for.. The ice is going to melt regardless if you open it 10 times an hour grabbing a beer but if you leave it alone should perform as advertised.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    I got the hopper 20 to carry on the boat and pool... 
    good side - easy to carry, very light on the shoulder when full. 
    bad side -  zipper is so tough the gf can barely open the cooler and the opening is very narrow which makes putting ice in and getting a beer out a little troublesome.  

Overall I like it for what I'm using it for.. The ice is going to melt regardless if you open it 10 times an hour grabbing a beer but if you leave it alone should perform as advertised.
    I have fount that the zipper loosens up after a while. Also, dump my ice from my ice maker into a kitchen sized trash bag, new of course, and dump it in from there.  
  • As long as I pre-chill my tundra, ice on drinks will last easily 3-4 days with relatively frequent open and closing.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • walleyv
    I pre-chill everything I put in my coolers but the ice in my Yeti will not last through the day.  I think they forgot to put insulation in the lid.  I just happened to leave a book laying on top of the cooler for a few hours.  When I went back to get the cooler it had sweated under the book.
  • walleyv said:
    I pre-chill everything I put in my coolers but the ice in my Yeti will not last through the day.  I think they forgot to put insulation in the lid.  I just happened to leave a book laying on top of the cooler for a few hours.  When I went back to get the cooler it had sweated under the book.
    Wow! Have you ever contacted Yeti customer service? I am really surprised by that.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • walleyv
    Have not contacted them yet but I will try to this week.
  • c3troop
    c3troop Posts: 5
    edited June 2015
    I have a pelican pro gear and a yeti roadie.  In my opinion, not much of a comparison.  Pelican is a phenomenal product and holds ice longer.  It's actually air tight and you can feel and hear it when you open the lid.  Much different than my yeti which I feel is just what people buy bc it's branded well.

I wouldn't buy a yeti again, except the tumber which I like quite a bit
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

I pre-chill my 105 as directed and my ice lasts a week to 10 days. (this is only possible if there aren't any opening and closings) 
    If you can't open it, how do you know there is still ice in there?
    NOLA
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    + 1 for the pelican. I have one and it's great 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
     but don't know if its better bang for the buck to buy one of the hard bodies 
    Personally, I'd opt to start off with a hard body, as they all seem to soften a little over time...  wait, what are we talking about?

Sorry, couldn't resist.  If I'm going to spend that amount of coin on a cooler, I'd want the hard shell for longevity - imho

Phoenix 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    You mentioned the ability to be mobile. Check out these wheels made by a company called Badger Wheel Systems. They are good for up to 500lbs so you stack as much as you handle on top of your cooler.  They have a front axle version also.     

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I have a Pelican and a Tundra. Both are 45s. Peli ways 35 lbs empty, Tundra 22 lbs empty.  Both great coolers.  Just a matter of how much you want to carry.  Pelicans are cheaper.  65s at Costco here going for 249. 

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I have the badger wheels and they are awesome but very expensive. Glad I'll have them for life to justify cost.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Big_Green_Craig
    Raymont said:
    I have the badger wheels and they are awesome but very expensive. Glad I'll have them for life to justify cost.
    I know, I almost choked when I first saw the price. I only ordered the rear axle. After using it for a while, I'm debating to go with the front axle as well... 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I have the hopper 20, I plan on getting some plastic ice blocks so I don't need ice all the time. With the hopper I am worried about hours not days.
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Don't buy a yeti for a beer cooler. ...waste of money. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    henapple said:
    Beer purse.   ;) 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    henapple said:
    Beer purse.   ;) 
    Classic....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.