Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yo

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    I've had some plastic panels that have been exposed to direct sun for a few years and they have zero yellowing. Don't recall the brand name offhand.

Metal roofing can be very noisy during a downpour. If you go with that you might keep a bunch of earplugs on hand. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    @Jeremiah...
    I am interested to see if you had got any further with your new covered deck.. We are in the design stage and we like what you are doing..Pics would be much appreciated..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yeah, let's see the progress!!  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • HeavyG
    Options
    How/where are you planning on laying the metal roof?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    On top.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
     I'm debating a railing right now. 
    At first glance I was going to say that I like the look without the railing and you're practically on the ground so probably not needed, I do like the open look personally.  Then at second glance I saw the existing railing that you already have up so it probably would look better extending that railing and going with that look.  Not that my thought matters for your deck.  Great looking deck and pergola so far.  I'm definitely jealous, we were told by the town in the spring we can't build the deck we designed due to set back requirements so we're waiting at least another year and going back to the drawing board.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    HeavyG said:
    On top.  =)
    Heh-heh.

Looking at your pergola I was just wondering what sort of slope (any?) your roofing was going to have.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It is looking great.  My brother in law has a deck that is low to the ground and he built a bench seat around the perimeter instead of a railing.  Just another thought...

Do you plan on leaving the table where it is or is it going on the deck?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeremiah
    Options
    @HeavyG the roofing requires a 1/4" per ft. It's 16' long with a 6" drop. Hopefully that's enough. 
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Looking good.  I like the idea of extending the railing down the side to the front right corner.  I would think about building some benches on either side of the eggs that would open for storage.  Experience dictates you never have enough room to store accessories, lump, small beer cooler, etc.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Even though we finished the deck nearly 2 years ago, we are still debating the railing. Ours is 3 and a half foot off the ground too. Even had someone fall off once. Can't decide. Now that I have a baby I have to get serious about a rail. I think I'm going to go with 5 wires pulled taut. Then a 2x6 topper I can set drinks on. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @HeavyG the roofing requires a 1/4" per ft. It's 16' long with a 6" drop. Hopefully that's enough. 
    You'll be fine. I have less than that spanning my 22 foot width. And even in one of the rainiest areas in the country have had no issues at all.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    I personally really want to carry the railing all around along with some sort of bushes/ landscaping around it as well. My neighbor who knows everything (just ask him) says it'll feel boxed in. But that's kinda what I want, I want it to feel like an additional room. Thanks for the comments yall. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Not that it really matters, but I'm with you on the railing. That's a lot of open space and I'd feel like I was on display sitting out there. 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I personally really want to carry the railing all around along with some sort of bushes/ landscaping around it as well. My neighbor who knows everything (just ask him) says it'll feel boxed in. But that's kinda what I want, I want it to feel like an additional room. Thanks for the comments yall. 
    Seems like we all have that one neighbor that knows everything and will tell you, whether you ask or not.  I usually find them to be wrong about most things anyway.  It sounds like you've made your decision already on the rail and I'm sure it will look just as good as it does already.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Are your roofing panels each 16' long or are there going to be overlapped panel seams?

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Overlapped. Why?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I was just curious since it was difficult to tell from the pix of your pergola if there was any slope for your roofing panels.

Quarter inch per foot just seemed a little shallow so then I was curious if that shallow a slope was because the panels were 16 feet long thus there would be no seams along the "run" of the panel. However, it appears that even if you are using shorter length panels with an overlap that the 1/4"/foot still is appropriate.

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The railing can double as a "bar top" sitting area in places, such as the corners if needed. Or just a few sections. I needed a railing as my deck is ~10' of the ground, but this is what I did for the corners. No bar stools there yet. but we may add some, this is spring before we move the furniture on. Just a thought, dont have any close ups of the "bar top". If you dont do a full railing, just doing the two corners may make it feel more closed in, and give more functionality. Looks great so far, good work!!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Any progress @Jeremiah ?  Can't wait to see the results. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Lol.  Awesome.  I've been in that exact same spot with a picture taken.  Love Hunting Island. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Great pic @Jeremiah! I have never been there before. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @Jeremiah , you look nothing like your avatar?  :)
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @Jeremiah , you look nothing like your avatar?  :)
    I cut my hair.  B)
  • Jeremiah
    Options

A little more progress. Went with the metal roof per @Thatgrimguy 's recommendation. Still have a long way to go but at least we have shade now. 

We could have finished the railing today but it's 5 degrees hotter than hell so we're off to play indoor miniature golf with the kiddo. 

I guess it's time to seriously start thinking about a proper egg table as my temp one will be rendered useless as soon as the railing gets around there. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    What are your plans for smoke deflection?  With the egg on the deck and the slope of the tin top, the smoke will head up towards the house ... yes?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeremiah
    Options
    What are your plans for smoke deflection?  With the egg on the deck and the slope of the tin top, the smoke will head up towards the house ... yes?

Been wondering about that. I'm hoping a fan mounted above it will be sufficient.  If not, I'll look into some sort of hood... Really gonna wait and see how much of a problem it is. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Not that it really matters, but I'm with you on the railing. That's a lot of open space and I'd feel like I was on display sitting out there. 
    See I was so misunderstood. I thought you were a trophy husband? Learn something about some one all the time. I "thought" we were cyber buddy and all. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site