Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg just arrived -some general quick questions

John
John Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good day - Just a few questions to the group when anyone has the time[p]I just got my Large Egg today here in Ottawa, Great White North and am ready to rock and roll.[p]Biggest question is what type of Steak to try - but I can arm wrestling my wife for that one ;-)[p]Wood chips - when adding them to the Lump coal - should I soak for a period of time before adding them in. How much wood should or can be added? ie -cooking ribs or Turkey ??? What type of wood chips are the best you have found ?[p]Besides the grill - is there anything else that needs to be cleaned after use ?[p]Lots and lots of receipts on-line but when cooking lets say a 10lb (or 4.5kg) Turkey (stuffed or un-stuffed) - how long and at what tempature ?? Hows the taste compared to an oven roasted turkey ??[p]Great site - great comments and thanks in advance for any answers[p]Good day eh !![p]John from Ottawa Canada !!

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    John , Congrats. For almost bottomless advice and ideas,
    tap in to www.nakedwhiz.com and dizzpigbbq.com. [p]As for steaks, I do ribeyes for me and filets for my wife. We share, and it's all good. Get some thick ones and try the T-Rex method on the nakedwhiz site.
    Scott[p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    John , Correction-- www.dizzypigbbq.com

• John
    Borders , merci buckets !!![p]John

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    John ,[p]Below is a link to TNW's site. There is tons of information there for a new Egger. Don't overlook the charcoal database, the recipe section and the cookbook section. Make sure to download Bill Wise's cookbook, it's a great reference.[p]If you http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com you will go to my homepage where you can find some recipes with pictures and other tips. Take a look at the introduction to barbecue page.[p]Back to your questions:[p]Wood - I don't soak at all.[p]Recipes for turkey - Most will mirror how you cook in the oven. Many folks use roasting temps around 325° to 350°. A probe thermometer will be very helpful so you can monitor the progress of the cook instead of basing it on time alone.[p]Taste - I like the flavor of most things in the Egg over the oven. You do not always have to use wood chips.[p]I brush the grill after each use, and if I use a drip pan it is usually lined in foil, so I clean it after everything has cooled and the grease has set-up. Every few cooks, scoop out the ashes when they are COLD.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]TNW[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • John
    thirdeye, Thanks so much for the advice and link to your web site - some great tips and pictures !! And those ribs !! Using the indirect method - what did you use ?? Would that apply to Beef Ribs as well as pork ??[p]Great site and Thanks again[p]John

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    John ,
    You might be able to gain a little help from my website also...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • John
    WessB,Thanks !! Great site !![p]John

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    0e9f1f22.jpg
    <p />John,[p]Yep, those ribs were indirect. Beef ribs are a similar cook just longer for the real meaty ones. Short ribs like the one above are great too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • John ,[p]Welcome to the BGE club John. I am also in Ottawa and enjoy egging all winter. I generally do not soak the wood and use chunks, not chips. I can usually get enough cherry, maple, and oak from friends. I buy hickory chunks whenever I see them. Capital City BBQ carries them. I use very little of anything for chicken and turkey. Just a small chunk of cherry sometimes. I'm going to eggfest for the first time this year, should be fun. You should think about going as well. enjoy..Paul
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I prefer 1 1/2 inch thick strip steaks. Get best grade available.
  • Hatchling
    Hatchling Posts: 32
    John ,[p]I'm in Ottawa as well. I am partial to the King of all steaks, the rib steak, bone in.[p]Sterling Steak house in Gatineau will sell you their Sterling beef rib steaks over the counter. I have yet to find a better steak in Ottawa.[p]Costco meat is also very good. Try the lamb chops or the rack of lamb. It will bring tears to your eyes.[p]I experiment by soaking my wood chunks in various types of booze. For example when I cook the lamb chops (extra thick) I soak the chunks in Gin. When I do ribs, I soak the chunks in Jack Daniels.[p]That is one of the great things about the Egg. You discover flavours that you did not know existed before.[p]Cheers.[p]Hatchling.[p]
  • Hi John ,
    Another Ottawan here. My first attempt at steak was a striploin cut 1 1/4 inch thick (from Orlicks, which is unfortunately now out of business). I just put olive oil, cracked pepper and garlic on it, and then coarse salt about a minute before grilling. Used the TRex method, and it was the best steak I've ever had, no exageration.
    BTW, I used the egg at -18 this winter; it just takes a bit longer to stabilize the temperature, but works fine. Only thing I discovered the hard way was freezing the gasket shut, so now in the winter I close the top with a thin strip of wood inserted to keep the felt from touching.[p]Cheers,
    Martin