Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE brings home the gold

Options
2»

Comments

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    blasting said:

It speaks to you as a dad taking the time to teach him something instead of throwing a new video game his direction.  Well done, and congrats.

Very good point Blasting.  What a really good moment JQ.  I'm sure you are very proud.  You don't see a lot of parents taking time like this for their kids anymore. 

Thanks for sharing and congratulations to your son!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    JQ_bbq said:
    My 11 year old won first place today at the Bull City BBQ Classic in the kids competition. He cooked up some killer ribs by himself on the egg.

Dad came home empty handed, but I couldn't be happier with today's outcome.
    This ^^^^^^^^ is just awesome. It's sad that in today's high paced society that fewer and fewer parents are doing this kind of stuff with their children. I wish that everyday when I turned on the news that this was the kind of stories we heard instead of all the awful crap. My hat is off to you and your son sir. This post more than any other certainly earns and deserves the seal of approval from everyone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JQ_bbq
    JQ_bbq Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. My son has been helping around the egg for a couple of years now. This is the first contest where he has done everything by himself.  He smoked his ribs at 280 dome for 3.25 hours then sauced and smoked for another 30 mins. The judges said they were better than most of the adults. BGE sure makes it easy when temp control is so important.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Using a BGE is just not fair. Really.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Five total posts and this guy gets an SGH seal of approval.  

We got a heavy hitter here, folks.  

Welcome, and love this story.  Good work, buddy!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Five total posts and this guy gets an SGH seal of approval.  

We got a heavy hitter here, folks.  

Welcome, and love this story.  Good work, buddy!

yeah... I never thought of that.   Reminds me of 30 years ago having to work hard to become one of the cool kids.  

I guess I better enter my kid in some BBQ competitions...

Phoenix