Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cumin & garlic pork tenderloin, with arroz verde

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731

Inspiration came from a Serious Eats post about chicken (Peruvian chicken with green sauce, I think). I wanted pork tenderloin, so the recipe was adapted.

Made a paste out of cumin, paprika, lotsa garlic, and some other stuff. Smeared the tenderloins with it, ziploc'ed, and let em sit in the fridge for a few hours. 

Turns out that the green sauce is very similar to the mint cilantro raita I make sometimes (forgot to add the cilantro before taking the pic). Amped up the garlic in that too. Chilies are from the garden. The orange blob is Japanese spicy mayo since that's all I had. White blob is greek yogurt.

Almost done. The foil packs have corn - dab of the Japanese mayo and dusted with Slap Ya Mama Hot.

Plated pic (forgot the corn. Doh!). Arroz verde was made from a Fine Cooking recipe. And yes - added extra garlic. It was a hit and will enter the rotation of sides as a regular. The tenderloin came out great. I really to need to cook these more often.

Thanks for lookin! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks amazing! I'm making your raita now for some chicken skewers I have marinating.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks amazing! I'm making your raita now for some chicken skewers I have marinating.

Hope you enjoy it! I could eat that raita/sauce by itself.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks ridiculously good !!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    Options
    caliking said:
    DMW said:

Hope you enjoy it! I could eat that raita/sauce by itself.
    I just had my daughter taste it on a tortilla. Her response, "You need to make this all the time!"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That is truly amazing looking.. Awesome presentation and post.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Do you have a general recipe for the raita? I found the rice recipe online, but sauces can be touchy with proportions. That looks amazing!! I love pork tenderloin and am always looking for new recipes. 

How did you grill? Looks indirect but can't quite tell. I love raised direct for tenderloin. My only concern would be burning the marinade/garlic in the marinade with raised direct. 

Fantastic!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I hate you 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    Options
    henapple said:
    I hate you 
    We all do...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Damn man that look's good! Had to check my phone to see if I had missed any calls.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    DMW said:
    henapple said:
    I hate you 
    We all do...
    Yea but mostly I do. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    Options
    DMW said:
    henapple said:
    I hate you 
    We all do...
    Yea but mostly I do. 

I only hate hillbillies. Especially ones from da 'Boro

• caliking
    Options

@xiphoid007 - here is what I made up for Salado this year:

Mint Cilantro "Raita" sauce.

Cilantro 2 bunches

Mint Several sprigs

Sugar 1-2 tsp

Salt 1/2 tsp

Thai green chilies 5-6

Greek yogurt 2 cups

Sour cream 1 cup

Dump all ingredients in the food processor and puree. Sometimes I like to add fresh garlic cloves to give it a little garlicky bite.

I added extra sour cream to make this more of a sauce, but raita should be more about the yogurt. If you're looking to make raita, then I would add a half cup of sour cream max, and maybe another cup of yogurt. This recipe males a lot, because it was being served to the masses at Salado. Scale it down as needed.

These tenderloins were cooked raised indirect, about 375ish. I too was worried about charring the marinade, so I went with an indirect cook.

• caliking
    Options
    DMW said:

I just had my daughter taste it on a tortilla. Her response, "You need to make this all the time!"

Thanks, man. That is one of the best compliments I have received :)

• caliking
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @RAC - ummm... I left a voicemail? :smiley:

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Thanks @caliking, that sauce sounds awesome! 

That's what I was thinking with indirect on the cook too, nice to know I'm not totally off base.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE