Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I was going through some stuff that left me unable to do much grilling for a few years, and I don't know if the same thing would have happened or not if I'd been using them, but over a few years the wooden tables my Medium and Larger were in got so rickety I was afraid they'd simply collapse and my Eggs would shatter.  They were leaning at scary angles, and some of the wood was so rotted from weather, I guess, that you could break it off in your hand.  I was also getting nervous about having the Eggs on wooden tables at all after seeing a few really scary pictures on this and the other forum of fires that had started from their Big Green Eggs in one way or another.

So now that I'm able to do more with my Eggs again and having a ball, I had a guy build me a table mostly out of cinderblock that looks like it'd stand up to a hurricane and just shouldn't be able to burn.  I've seen some cooler designs, but I'm really happy with it.  The shiny thing in the middle is just a big drawer to hold the plate setters and tools.  There's a couple of electrical outlets in the front just above the drawer, but I don't know if I'll use them.  The gazebo in the last picture was there when we bought the house.  The guy who made the table just re-shaped the brick patio a little to meet the new table.  The garbage can is actually to hold bird seed and keep the squirrels out.  My wife loves to have bird feeders around.

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Very nice looking table.  Should last a lifetime.  You'll love those electrical outlets if you use and electric starter ... or a computer temp control device.

Poured concrete top?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great setup- I know you will enjoy it. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First and foremost I'm happy you're feeling better. And Sir that egg table and setting is nothing short of beautiful!  Happy egging to you for many many many more years. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Outstanding setup!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    @swordsmn, hubby will be jealous when he sees this, though we don't really have room, but he'd use outlets for DigiQ.   Looks great!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    What a beautiful set up!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Or the ash vacuum.   Looks fantastic!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Great looking setup you got there!  Enjoy
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Kg lad you can EGG again, you will love the outlets close and your table is awesome! Enjoy
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Very nice, well done sir. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice design and setup for your Eggs.  Kudos to your contractor for a nice job.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Awesome setup. Enjoy
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That looks fantastic, you're going to appreciate the no maintenance.  

I appreciate the work everyone puts into their tables, but the stone / metal ones are my personal favs.

Phoenix 
  • Theophan
    Options
    MANY thanks for all of the kind comments!  I'm trying not to think very much about what I paid for it, but yeah, it should last a long, long time.

And @Jeepster47, no, the top is bluestone.  I was a little disappointed, in that about 2/3 of it is what I think bluestone looks like, but about 1/3 of it is very different, light brown streaks instead of pretty featureless blue gray.  It's actually sort of cool looking, but I'd rather have had it all one way or all the other.  The guy said he was surprised, too, but that's the way it came out of the quarry.  He said if I really hated it, he'd make it good, but I'd feel silly.  I think it'll be OK.

And thanks for the comments about my improved health.  I had a difficult few years, but I'm getting stronger and having a ball grilling again.  Made some ribs this evening, will post separately.

Thanks again,

Theophan
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ... And @Jeepster47, no, the top is bluestone.  ...
    My apologies, I'm totally ignorant of bluestone.  Had to look it up.  Similar stone as Stonehedge in England.  Never heard of it before ... thanks for the education.

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    When you get  chance, could you post pictures of the bluestone top with the differences in blue vs brown?   I'm curious.
  • Theophan
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    When you get  chance, could you post pictures of the bluestone top with the differences in blue vs brown?   I'm curious.
    I'll try to take a picture tomorrow, but for now, here's a portion of one of the pictures above, just looking at the top:

If you look carefully, you'll see that the back portion of the top looks sort of brown.  You can see it on the right edge, too.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Theophan, the table/outdoor kitchen looks great.  I have been wanting to do something on my patio and this helps with my idea's.  I may go this way or a rolling cabinet.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Beautiful set up!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Theophan
    Options
    @Sweet100s: here's a snapshot of part of the table showing the two different sections.  I thought bluestone all looked like the bottom part, sort of bluish gray, looks more than a little like concrete, though a little bluer.  I actually kind of like the swirly brown part, wouldn't mind if it had all looked that way, but it was an unhappy surprise when it arrived looking like this, with sort of a streak of brown on one edge and the rest looking the way I had expected it to look.  I'm still not crazy about it, but I'm not going to ask the guy to get me another one and eat the cost.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    First of all, that setup is BEAUTIFUL!  And the top is truly one of a kind!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I can understand the disappointment, but I'm digging the top. One of a kind and has character. Maybe you'll grow to like it. 

The rest of the table is great too. I want something similar. Need to get off my arse. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    What I see is a gentle wave of blue water washing up on the beach at the back of the top.  Very relaxing ... and ... and ... oh hell, some idiot is egging on the beach ... what gives?

• Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for the kind and helpful comments!  I love it, overall, will get used to the brown part.  I like the wave and beach idea.  :)
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That's awesome!  One of the best tables I've seen.  Good looking and simple.  Plenty of workspace and no risk of catching on fire!   Love it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @Theophan, what do you keep in the drawer ? 
  • Theophan
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    @Theophan, what do you keep in the drawer ? 
    The plate setters (if not being used, obviously), ash tool, wiggle rod, grid lifter, ash pan, etc..