Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone ever had a problem with a warranty claim?

We bought out BGE from an Authorized Dealer in 2011, however apparently I failed to register it at the time.  (I thought I did but when I checked with mother ship recently they said no, they didn't have us in the system).  Regardless, I did just sent in registration information today (it took some scraping on the dome to get the number readable). 

The reason why I ask is because we do have a hairline fracture on our base unit that runs from the underneath of the Egg to about 4 inches above the bottom.  Honestly you can hardly see it, and there is no smoke leakage.  Right now it is really a non issue, however I do want to be protected in the future if something does happen that affects performance.

Oh yeah.  In addition, the dealer that we bought it from has since went out of business.  Another obstacle.   However I do have the original receipt (both from the store and my credit card receipt). 

I would just like to see if anyone has any input, thanks in advance.  LG

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You shouldn't have any problem at all since you have the receipt.  You can handle a warranty claim with any authorized dealer. If you have any problems just call BGE again and they will get you hooked up.  Most likely you will just need to take pictures and the dealer will get you a new base and you can swap it out at your convenience.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    I have an hairline fracture in the firebox since about a year now and my dealer says that the pieces have to come apart before filing a warranty claim.  Not a big deal considering that many here seem to be using broken fireboxes for years before changing it...  I am just concerned that when it eventually falls apart that I will have to wait for a replacement to come in...

paqman said:
    I have an hairline fracture in the firebox since about a year now and my dealer says that the pieces have to come apart before filing a warranty claim.  Not a big deal considering that many here seem to be using broken fireboxes for years before changing it...  I am just concerned that when it eventually falls apart that I will have to wait for a replacement to come in...
    @paqman I'm not sure your dealer is correct about this.  I haven't filed a claim but I'm pretty sure others have with hairline cracks.  Might be worth a call or email to BGE...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Sookie said:

Oh yeah.  In addition, the dealer that we bought it from has since went out of business.  Another obstacle.   However I do have the original receipt

I would just like to see if anyone has any input, thanks in advance.  LG

Sister I feel that BGE will honor your warranty. I had a similar situation myself.  Shortly after buying my egg my dealer up and vanished. Also turns out that he never registered my egg. On top of that, the credit card that I used to purchase my egg with I had cancelled so I had no proof of payment. Nonetheless, and with the above said, BGE never even batted a eye replacing my items. They even registered my egg to avoid hassle in the future. Maybe I just got lucky, but the 2 times that I have contacted the mothership they have went above and beyond to help me out. My experience with warranty issues has been stellar and expedient. BGE honestly seems to try and accommodate you if there is any way that they can. I feel that you are in good hands sister.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

Thank you all.  I feel better.  I bought my Egg honestly (not 2nd hand and not through a poacher).  It's the quality of this product and the warranty that makes a difference I think. 

Yesterday the owner of my local produce stand asked how I was going to cook some potatoes.  When I told him I owned a BGE and was going to grill them, we got into a discussion about price vs. quality, and he professed he would rather spend more for a good quality item. 

Who knows?  If he gets one, he talks to probably 500 people a week, at least during the summer.  That's pretty damn good word of mouth. 

• Sookie

@sgh Oh yes, also the credit card I used was through a pretty big well known bank, and I have been with then probably 25 years.  If the propaganda they send me is true, there is additional warranty coverage for items purchasing their card.  I don't know how they do that, or how many claims people make on it, but hopefully it's some extra protection. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I'm 1 for 1. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    paqman said:
    @paqman I'm not sure your dealer is correct about this.  I haven't filed a claim but I'm pretty sure others have with hairline cracks.  Might be worth a call or email to BGE...
    I'm not too concerned...  The motherhouse doesn't have "jurisdiction" here in Canada so I doubt that calling them will change anything.

@Sookie  take a look at this thread, doughcrann's situation is similar to yours?
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181976/cracked-it

@paqman  that's bull, what if you're cooking on a wood deck and the crack opened up? I've had my L and XL's bottoms replaced by sending them photos of hairline crack.  Contact BGE Canada in Newmarket ON.
    canuckland
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited June 2015
    I've filed several warranty claims, 1 under my original dealer (for a gasket the first month after I got it) and 2 others several years later (for cracks in my fire ring and box) within a week of each other through another dealer (after my first dealer got their license pulled).  BGE honered the claims every time. 

No worries, I'm sure they'll take care of you
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Bought our XL in 04 or so. Never registered it. Heard it crack on May 30th.  Sent Bruce an email to ask if I still had a warranty even though I never registered it. Didn't send any pictures.  Received an email from him on Thursday telling me to bring the email and pictures of the damage to a local dealer.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I recently emailed them about registering my eggs, asking if I should send the cards to the same address. They said as long as I had the old mail in cards I would be fine, although I haven't needed anything yet.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    paqman said:
    the op has a cracked base which is different. my firebox is in over a dozen pieces puzzled together, been that way for im guessing 10 years, nothing to worry about. some day ill replace it =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sookie

@canugghead - Kind of.  We didn't hear a crack, and this fracture really is hairline.  No smoke leakage at this point.  

With all this feedback about the great customer service, I feel even better about this purchase.  Thank you all. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    @pagman, my bad, I thought it was the bottom, duh  :)
    canuckland