Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebrick help, please!

Options
I need to get some firebricks for my Leg BGE to be able to raise my grid to accommodate some cooks.  I also read that raising the grid is needed for pizza cooks with the plate-setter to get the pie higher up in the dome.

Where do I buy firebricks?  Is there a certain brand or type I need to focus on?  Do I need them specially cut for the BGE?  I am assuming I should get 3 bricks for the BGE.  Also, are the indentations at the top of the fire ring there to set the legs of the plate-setter on top of?  

As you can read, I am a novice in this area and any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Depending on where you live check your local hardware store for firebricks. Or if you have a store that deals in fireplaces. My lowes and Home Depot don't sell them but wouldn't hurt to check. I can't tell u if there is a certain type or not.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Stainless steel bolts are much easier to find. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I bought my firebricks from Menards ... ask for them, 'cuz they're not where you'd expect them to be ... well, at least where I expected them to be.  They come six to a box.  If you have brick cutting equipment, it's nice to cut a couple in half.

The plate setter can fit down into those notches. Or, you can rotate the plate setter up out of the notches to get an extra inch of height ... that's usually how my is configured.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Chuckie_T
    Chuckie_T Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks so much!  
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I bought my fire brick splits from a masonry contractor store. If I recall correctly, .99 apiece some years ago. Place 'em on edge on the fire ring to raise the grate.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Depending on where you live check your local hardware store for firebricks. Or if you have a store that deals in fireplaces. My lowes and Home Depot don't sell them but wouldn't hurt to check. I can't tell u if there is a certain type or not.
    That's funny ... so others have trouble finding them.  HD does carry them, but very expensive: http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove-Firebrick-Universal-Fit-6-Pack-FBP6E/206137338  Couldn't find them on the websire at Lowes.

While looking, found the Menards listing: http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove-Firebrick-Universal-Fit-6-Pack-FBP6E/206137338 ... much more reasonable.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You can order from Ace online and pick up in store. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Should a fire brick tip and fall it could crack/break the fire ring or worse. Use the SS bolts as Jeremiah suggests.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Should a fire brick tip and fall it could crack/break the fire ring or worse. Use the SS bolts as Jeremiah suggests.
    Stainless is not required, good old cold rolled steel works just fine - hell, if you are using a Rutland, use galvanized, what's a little zinc outgassing. 
    Fire bricks work really well if they are trimmed to lie length wise on the fire ring, solid as a rock. Make sure the grid is still within the base to minimize lateral movement. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    I got mine from Tractor Supply. I'm in Ohio.  
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Another idea is to buy a cheap 18" diameter Weber grill to put down on the fire ring, then the bricks, then your OEM grill.  Then there is no chance of a firebrick falling into the abyss.

Don't let those *&%* Canadians fool with you ... galvanized is not a good choice.  Plain steel or stainless is the way to go for a redneck raised grid.

Yes, I said cut the bricks in half, but actually it works better to cut a 1" piece out of the middle of a brick.  That yields two bricks 4" by 4.5" ... more versatile than square.  The other thing I did was make the cut at a slight angle through the thickness of the brick ... that made it lead backwards slightly on the fire ring and lock in solidly.

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Clay flower pots have been used.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you decide to use bricks, any bricks will do. They fire bricks in a kiln, ya know. That gets a damn site hotter than your egg will.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Carolina Q is correct, normal bricks are fired to about 1750 degrees F.  I have several that I've used with no problems. 

The neat thing about fire bricks (half bricks) is that they are only 1.5 inches thick.  The 4.5 inches wide gives a good lift height above the felt line.  And if you cut the 9 inch length down to two 4 inch lengths, then that's good to bring the grill up to the felt line.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I used leftover bricks from building my house in 1997. They worked fine. 

Then I bought a PS Woo2 for a raised grate. Easier but not as cool as bricks.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    So are beer cans
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Jeremiah said:
    So are beer cans
    Those are a lot more plentiful here. Pottsville's finest.  
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Chubbs said:
    Jeremiah said:
    So are beer cans
    Those are a lot more plentiful here. Pottsville's finest.  
    From Tampa. Haven't tried any down south to see if it is any different.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Got my firebricks from Northern Tool and Supply a year ago in the middle of summer....  Firebricks, in the summer, in Georgia....  NOT east to find.  Yeah, I coulda ordered from Ace and had them shipped to the store, but I've had bad luck with stuff breaking in shipment!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Rosco902
    Rosco902 Posts: 26
    Options
    Another idea is to buy a cheap 18" diameter Weber grill to put down on the fire ring, then the bricks, then your OEM grill.  Then there is no chance of a firebrick falling into the abyss.

Don't let those *&%* Canadians fool with you ... galvanized is not a good choice.  Plain steel or stainless is the way to go for a redneck raised grid.

Yes, I said cut the bricks in half, but actually it works better to cut a 1" piece out of the middle of a brick.  That yields two bricks 4" by 4.5" ... more versatile than square.  The other thing I did was make the cut at a slight angle through the thickness of the brick ... that made it lead backwards slightly on the fire ring and lock in solidly.
    Great idea! Called my local brick place and they sell them for a little under $4 a brick. two cut in half should do perfectly. 
    NS Canada