Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Terra Cotta Plant Saucer for indirect

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
I grabbed this 11.4 inch Terra cotta saucer from Ace Hardware and I'm using it on the small with the Woo.  I was worried it might be a little big but since the edges are beveled out I think it still has plenty of air flow.  Testing it out with some country ribs. 
Wrapped in foil but fairly tight so that there is a built in air gap.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Should work well. Did you soak it first?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Should work well. Did you soak it first?
    Hi Molly,
    No I didn't soak it.  Should I do that next time?  Hopefully it doesn't explode I'm looking forward to these ribs!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like it! Be interesting to see how well it holds up to the heat. I use terra cotta planter feet for spacers and they have handled 900°. They are thicker, but then, you probably won't be cooking at 900°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Speaking of Terra Cotta - I have made Monkey Bread many times using this simple flower pot! I did season it though with vegetable  oil like seasoning a cast iron pot. That seasoning made it slick and easy to clean off the possibility of baked on sugar.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

I have a Terra cotta veggie baker that I got as a gift about 20 years ago and I love it!   It is actually glazed inside (not the outside) and I do soak it.  I'm interested to see how this turns out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've used those in my drum smoker and in my eggs. Works great for low and slow, but at grilling temps mine cracked. That was before I bought the AR R&B combo.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sure why not. But, like Michael @Carolina Q said I'd be curious to see how it holds up on even a L&S let alone on a pizza baking session. Something tells me at a higher temp it might not survive. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    So far so good. Accidental turbo...took a nap and the egg was at 350ish. We shall see if it is one piece!  

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @RRP the monkey bread looks great. I like that idea!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    @RRP the monkey bread looks great. I like that idea!
    Thanks! Trust me - pulling a flower pot of Monkey Bread off the egg is a big hit with the "little people"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Thats what I use all the time in my LBGE for a drip pan on L&S cooks.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    These have done 900°... several times. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    I've taken Terra cotta pots to over 1800 in our pottery kilns. What will cause it to break is the rapid heating and cooling. Low and slow should not be a problem at all. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    So far so good...no signs of cracking.  Something I noticed is it seemed to transfer more heat than the plate setter.   At 350 I had some grill marks on the bottom of the ribs. I think this will be perfect for low and slow.  It was $7 so I think it was worth the investment :)

• jimmyhat1978
    Options
    I use a terra cotta pot base as a pizza stone never had an issue with the ceramic.  The pizza on the otherhand....
    Medium BGE, Japanese Konro, NOLA proud.