Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket for Small BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokininCT
    Options
    I'm in as well
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Folks .. got a response back from Chad ...

"Wow Joe, that is quite the response in such a short time!  Very very cool!

Guess that we gotta make it happen!

So..... it will have to be later this year but I will definitely get to it.

Keep in touch man and thanks so much for stopping to say Hi at the EggFest!

Have a Kick Ash Week!
    Chad"

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Thanks for all the work! @fljoemo. That's great news for all us small owners!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    When can we "pre-order" on his website?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I'm in! Was just thinking last week that it would be great to have one for my small!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Any idea on price?  Should we assume it is the same as the large? 

I had another thought on the design.  I have the high Q for the small and I think they made it a bit too small.  It sits pretty far down in the fire box so you don't have as much area for air to get in.  I think the bottom piece should have a slightly larger diameter.  This would cause it to sit higher which would reduce the lump capacity somewhat but I think it would be worth it for more airflow.  

On that note- I have heard others comment that with the KAB you can't lift it out if the lump is piled high.  Why not design it so it extends where the handles are just below the top of the fire ring?  This way you could pile the lump 1/2 way up the fire ring and still have handles sticking out.  

Thoughts? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Guys .. I have asked Chad to monitor this thread .. so hopefully he can answer back on your queries.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Bump for more orders!! We need a small Kick Ash Basket! It will literally change my life... Ok, maybe not, but it'still awesome.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Yeah I think it would be great. Thats one think I dont like about my small egg is cleanup. I feel loke I need to clean it after every cook. I think the KAB would help tremendously. 

Little Rock, AR

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I had another thought on the design.  I have the high Q for the small and I think they made it a bit too small.  It sits pretty far down in the fire box so you don't have as much area for air to get in.  I think the bottom piece should have a slightly larger diameter.  This would cause it to sit higher which would reduce the lump capacity somewhat but I think it would be worth it for more airflow.  

On that note- I have heard others comment that with the KAB you can't lift it out if the lump is piled high.  Why not design it so it extends where the handles are just below the top of the fire ring?  This way you could pile the lump 1/2 way up the fire ring and still have handles sticking out.  

Thoughts? 
    @SmokyPitt I agree. I like to idea of the basket but I an waiting for one with more height.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Irv
    Irv Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey guys......great to see the Kick Ash Love here...Thank You!  We will commit to getting out a Small version this year but I'm gonna need some help.  I have access to some small Eggs but apparently fireboxes change over the years. (Check notes on Medium Kick Ash Basket) So I'll get a sketch out to you guys of critical dimensions that will help us and figure out what will work for the small.  With the sketch I'll have a couple folks get me dimensions and we'll figure it out from there.  Thanks again for you Kick Ash Passion!
    Have a Kick Ash Weekend! Chad
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options

I had another thought on the design.  I have the high Q for the small and I think they made it a bit too small.  It sits pretty far down in the fire box so you don't have as much area  

Thoughts? 
    I asked the same question about the medium. I'm assuming the room is there for the plate setter. Haven't got a definitive answer as of yet. 

How about making the handles removable? That would make it so the basket could be made taller and also the handles wouldn't be hot if one needed to shake or get rid of the ash immediately like for a tailgate. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited May 2015
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:

I had another thought on the design.  I have the high Q for the small and I think they made it a bit too small.  It sits pretty far down in the fire box so you don't have as much area  

Thoughts? 
    I asked the same question about the medium. I'm assuming the room is there for the plate setter. Haven't got a definitive answer as of yet. 

How about making the handles removable? That would make it so the basket could be made taller and also the handles wouldn't be hot if one needed to shake or get rid of the ash immediately like for a tailgate. 
    I like the removable handle idea but would imagine gloves would still be needed with hot embers/ashes being shaken all around or accidental contact with the basket. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Irv said:
    Hey guys......great to see the Kick Ash Love here...Thank You!  We will commit to getting out a Small version this year but I'm gonna need some help.  I have access to some small Eggs but apparently fireboxes change over the years. (Check notes on Medium Kick Ash Basket) So I'll get a sketch out to you guys of critical dimensions that will help us and figure out what will work for the small.  With the sketch I'll have a couple folks get me dimensions and we'll figure it out from there.  Thanks again for you Kick Ash Passion!
    Have a Kick Ash Weekend! Chad
    @Irv   You Rock!!!! I would definitely be happy to help with dimensions. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    My small is a pretty old model. I bet it is different. I know for a fact my daisy wheel is bigger than those on the current smalls. But I'll be more than happy to give measurements and feedback. 

Little Rock, AR

• SmokininCT
    SmokininCT Posts: 51
    Options
    Bump, any new news?
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Hoping to hear ... we want one!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Bump, any new news?
    Somebody received an email in the last couple days (can't remember the thread) that the owner was planning a Small KAB "later this year"; I'm stoked!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    I would like to see group buys more often. We have a lot of folks here so why not see if other vendors would do so as well. 
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I WANT ONE!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Add me to the list please, @fljoemon or @lrv

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    Count me in for one
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I exchanged emails with Chad a couple of weeks ago, concerning a KAB for my Kamodo Joe, Jr.  
    He was hopeful that the new Small one would fit KJ Jr.
    Like I told him, the day he has one for my Jr, I'll order it.
    It just works so well in my Large BGE.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SmokininCT
    SmokininCT Posts: 51
    Options
    It's been a while on this one. Has anyone heard any news?
  • jhayesbge
    jhayesbge Posts: 13
    Options

I would like to purchase one for my small BGE

Kansas City, MO - XL, LG, SM