Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Screen

Options
Anyone know where to get just the screen in the bottom vent? These tend to disintegrate over time, and I've had to buy the whole unit. Thanks.
Kemah, TX

Comments

• BamaFanInArky
    Options
    Told my dealer I needed another screen because lump particular ripped my current one.  He had one delivered for me in a week.  Not sure if it was a warrenty fill or not, but I didn't get charged.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Told my dealer I needed another screen because lump particular ripped my current one.  He had one delivered for me in a week.  Not sure if it was a warrenty fill or not, but I didn't get charged.
    Can't beat that deal, your dealer likes you. The screen sliders were available as parts according to a four year old list I have:
    MESH-XL, MESH-L (also fits the MBGE); MESH-S - all were under $13. The stainless sliders were over $30. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I got just a screen for my XL just a few months ago. My dog chewed mine and it wouldn't close off tight.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Sources?
    Kemah, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Sources?
    Call any dealer and give them the appropriate code?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    My screen deteriorated over time and my local dealer replaced it under warranty. 

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Skiddymarker ... is that a digital list by any chance?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - no it is old school, has notes on it and such and is in $CDN. i will fire up the HP scanner and shoot you one if you want.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - no it is old school, has notes on it and such and is in $CDN. i will fire up the HP scanner and shoot you one if you want.
    Yes please, mainly looking for the darn product code. PM on the way.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    They (BGE Corp.) really needs to address the screen issue, IMHO.
    The screen on my XL lasted maybe 3 cooks, and the UN-glued strands just get hung up. They replaced my original, no questions asked. But it's still in the package. I never installed it.
    I cook on a concrete patio, so sparks are not a big issue.
    Still.... they must be aware of the issue & ought to re-think the screen issue.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Durangler ... my son's XL had, what I assume is, the same problem.  If we closed the screen it wouldn't open without tearing the screen on the side opposite the tabs.

I found out the stainless steel guide was warped slightly.  Looking at the vent hole, the SS guide stuck up a little on the right hand edge of the hole.  That kept catching the screen and tearing it at the spot weld.  I used a very small ball peen hammer to carefully shape that area so that the edge was rolled inward and provided a ramp for the screen to slide over.  Got a new screen, installed it, and have had no problems since then.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    I retro-fitted 3 of my older vents with the screen doors and they were only $10 a piece as I recall.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    RRP said:
    I retro-fitted 3 of my older vents with the screen doors and they were only $10 a piece as I recall.
    @RRP ... honestly Ron, the prices have gone up since the 80's.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @Durangler ... my son's XL had, what I assume is, the same problem.  If we closed the screen it wouldn't open without tearing the screen on the side opposite the tabs.

I found out the stainless steel guide was warped slightly.  Looking at the vent hole, the SS guide stuck up a little on the right hand edge of the hole.  That kept catching the screen and tearing it at the spot weld.  I used a very small ball peen hammer to carefully shape that area so that the edge was rolled inward and provided a ramp for the screen to slide over.  Got a new screen, installed it, and have had no problems since then.
    Sorry for the late reply. I'll have a closer look at the guide and assembly.
    Thank you for your input. I appreciate it!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ