Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decent Lump In Houston?

Options
I have a friend in Houston by 610 and the Galleria area that I convinced to buy an Egg.  Any recommendations where he can get some good lump - OO, RW or better?  Wife wants to get him some for Father's Day - I think he is out of his freebie bag of BGE Lump.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    You can get B&B at any grocery store or Walmart. Nothing better.
    Kemah, TX
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    That's all you Texans have?  I am disappointed.  Come to Georgia and I can fix you up.
    Milton, GA.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Some of us in Houston bought 2 pallets of RW a while ago.

As far as what's available locally, depends on how much of a charcoal snob your buddy is, and how far he's willing to drive. There is an Ace dealer I've heard about in The Woodlands, who used to stock OO, but has been stocking Dragon Breath lump for some time. Apparently, its pretty good stuff.

I have a price alert set for Fogo on Amazon, and buy it when the price is ~$1/lb. Kroger brand lump is very good, if its on sale. Central Market brand lump is also good, again look for it on sale (available at HEB too).

Other than that, I'm actually ok with RO, if that was all that was available for me close by. I'm not a fan of B&B - the lump doesn't seem as carbonized as lump should be, and the ash looks all weird compared to other lump brands.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @caliking...very well said.
    Sorry I missed the RW buy. Yet to try it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    @caliking...very well said.
    Sorry I missed the RW buy. Yet to try it.

It was back in December 2013. I organized it, and shortly thereafter there was a lot of security camera footage of shady charcoal deals going down in HEB/Sam's/Wal-Mart parking lots. No way i have time to do all that now! Firecraft stocks it, I would probably go that route now. Much easier :).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.