Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Surprise, First Time

logchief
logchief Posts: 1,415
Wow, I was surprised today at the local Walmart Neighborhood Market when I found this and couldn't resist, to finally jump in and do my first brisket.  No grade marked and the Manager didn't have a clue all their meat is prepackaged before delivery and no butchers, so I'm assuming it can't be anything but select.  

Going to go on tomorrow evening, so more to come and wish me luck.  If I F it up (but I'm not, staying positive) no great loss it was a good price.  Lots of chili and thin sliced sandwich meat.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Nice find!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • logchief
    It's hard to find in central CA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Can't wait to see the results!  It'll be great.  :)
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    That price...it's like you went back in time.  IIRC, it's up to about $6/lb at Costco.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice price for sure. Flip it over, on the other side there should be some USDA stamps with grade.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    DMW said:
    Nice price for sure. Flip it over, on the other side there should be some USDA stamps with grade.
    Nothing on the back other than pack by Swift, but being the first guess I ought to leave that behind and get to cookin and hopefully some good eatin.

Thx DMW
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    logchief said:
    DMW said:
    Nothing on the back other than pack by Swift, but being the first guess I ought to leave that behind and get to cookin and hopefully some good eatin.

Thx DMW
    Interesting, I thought all beef commercially sold that was USDA stamped (as is indicated by the pricing label) had to be graded.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    edited June 2015
    It's ready to go S&P and a little garlic and onion powder.  Going to dive into  some Ham & Beans, fried taters and corn bread prepared by my bride this evening and then this will go on.

It was good to read the thread on Walmart Briskets, hopefully this will come out as well as those who posted.  Can't wait.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161484/walmart-packers/p1

• logchief
    It's on and grid temp is around 262, now it's keep my fingers crossed and drool about the outcome
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    If memory serves, that's what I recently saw for choice packers at WalMart.  It's odd that it's not stamped.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Following...... with a knife and fork!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• logchief
    Well it was a loooong night chasing temp on the egg.  Put it on at about 2030, egg had been stable grid temp 250-60 for an hour.  It stayed that way until about 0030 when the alarm went off and it was up around 290 and meat was at about 140ish.  I dampered it down a bit and went back to bed and the alarm went off again, low temp and the fire was basically out.

Relit it and got temp going and went back to bed again.  3 hours later at about 0400 it got hot again and meat was 185 so I probed and not ready.  I went ahead and let it go at 280 and finally pulled it at 0530 at between 201 and 205.

I wasn't feeling real warm and fuzzy about it at that point.  It still wasn't probing right but didn't want to leave it any longer.  FTC time and 4 hours later here's the results.   I'm very pleasantly surprised.

It certainly isn't from Franklin's or any one of you other experts around here, but it'll do for a first time and it's quite tasty.  

By the way I cut off about 5 inches of the flat to try something else with and glad I did.  I think having it smaller may have helped save me.

I gotta get this fire thing down, never had this problem with butts.  Next time I think I'll start at 0500 instead with another small one and get some sleep.

Any tips on reheating a chunk for this evenings dinner??????

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    That brisket looks awesome, man! Great first attempt, wish mine had gone that well!
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • logchief
    Thanks @tisoypops, I got lucky.  Flat is a little on the dry side.  Maybe the hunk of flat I put in the freezer should be destined for chili.
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Very nicely done @logchief. Nice smome ring, passes the bend test and juicy.  And you said itvwas quite tasty.  Sounds and looks to me like you nailed it.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Great job. I'd buy some of that!
    McKinney, TX