Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru

Options
Smoking a brisket, guru set at 225, Egg temp is 265. WTF? I have the top closed. Thanks in advance, John
Kemah, TX

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Extra air must be getting in somewhere. I have a XL, use the guru, have not had problems. How do you have yours set up? Using a PS? Where is the temp probe attached?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Close the slide vent on the guru fan mounted to the lower vent to at least Half closed.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Plate setter, yes. Probe is on the grate.
    Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    Options
    With everything closed, it's coming down. Should normalize soon, I think.
    Kemah, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Good call on the slide vent for the guru 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jllbms
    Options
    @Photo Egg my "other" place is in League City. Unfortunately, no Egg out there! I may have to remedy that.
    Kemah, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dome and grid temps are gonna be different. I clip the guru pit probe to the dome probe, never the grid. Speaking of which, is the dome thermo calibrated?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jllbms
    Options
    I'm not looking at the Egg thermo, just the guru. Back at 225 though.
    Kemah, TX
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Make sure the pit probe isn't at one of the openings of the platesetter getting direct heat from the lump. How much is the top vent open? With the guru on I keep it closed.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Sometimes you get a few spikes along the way with the guru after opening the lid. The system takes a minute to realize you opened the lid and you can hear the fan on at constant for a minute or so. That combined with the lid open brings more air to the fire so you can see the spike. I usually don't worry about 40 degrees unless it doesn't stabilize and keeps climbing because the system is designed to bring it back down. 
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA