Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help With Temperature Readings

Options
I've only had my XL for about a week. When you see cooking temperatures here & other places, is it normally grid temperature or dome temperature? I have a Maverick with two probes. There's about a 30 deg F difference, grid being lower. Maybe it doesn't really matter.  Thanks for helping the new guy. 

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Typically if it isn't mentioned, dome temp is assumed by convention.

I personally just go by dome temp because it seems more consistent, as long as your thermometer is calibrated. Try moving your temp probe around on your grill surface. It's all over the place. I'm to anal retentive to deal with that, so I stick with the dome temp.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • charlieBGE
    charlieBGE Posts: 17
    Options
    Has anyone ever pulled the dial guage out of the dome & stuck in one of the Maverick probes? 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Now wait for @Jeepster47 resident engineer who is retired in paycheck only. He recently did a study on grid vs dome. Also, I don't think the maverick probe will for in the OEM hole. I think he has the measurements on that as well. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dome temp only for me. I have no idea what grid temp is. The way I see it, my oven has it's temp sending unit at the top. My egg has it's thermo at the top. Neither comes with any way to measure temp where the food is. If they don't care, neither do I.

I have a Maverick too. Had it for about 5 years now. Used it about 5 times. Maybe. Waste of money, IMO. But if you're going to use it, one probe goes into the meat, the other can go wherever you want it. I suggest clipping it to the probe of your dome thermo.

Welcome to the nuthouse. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Has anyone ever pulled the dial guage out of the dome & stuck in one of the Maverick probes? 
    Not a Maverick, but I have used the probes from my iGrill. Works well.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I've only had my XL for about a week. When you see cooking temperatures here & other places, is it normally grid temperature or dome temperature? I have a Maverick with two probes. There's about a 30 deg F difference, grid being lower. Maybe it doesn't really matter.  Thanks for helping the new guy. 
    I go by grid temp since that is where the meat is.  Yea, it is overkill but that is how I roll.

First, calibrate your dome thermometer and note that you will have to recalibrate every so often. Just did mine the other day and it was off nearly 30 degrees.  At the grid, you do need  to be careful where your probe is....you don't want the meat touching it or dripping on it.   Also, whatever you are using for your indirect setup, make sure your probe is also indirect.  I made the mistake of having my probe on the edge and it was receiving direct heat as the fire expanded to that side.   On my LBGE, once my temps settle, my grid and dome are close.   Hope this helps and keep cooking and posting. We are here to help. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I use a Maverick for the meat, but I set my temperature with the dome (calibrated). 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    What @4Runner says. Indirect, the dome may be 30º higher than grid, direct cooks the grid may be 30º higher than dome. 
    Assume for indirect the grid probe is in the shadow of a setter leg.. As the cook progresses, the grid and dome temp will get closer to each other. 
    Direct cooks, you really do not want to use the Mav, unless you like buying probes - you will fry them. For direct cooks use your calibrated dome thermo. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Typically if it isn't mentioned, dome temp is assumed by convention.

I personally just go by dome temp because it seems more consistent, as long as your thermometer is calibrated. Try moving your temp probe around on your grill surface. It's all over the place. I'm to anal retentive to deal with that, so I stick with the dome temp.
    Agree. This is why I go with dome temp. I've seen lots of variance in temperature with the Maverick grate probe based on where it's positioned. The dome gives me a good averaged temperature and I can work the cook using the Maverick meat probe. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... He recently did a study on grid vs dome. Also, I don't think the maverick probe will for in the OEM hole. I think he has the measurements on that as well. 
    Don't tell all my secrets.  Yep, can't cook for sh*t, but love to measure.

The dome temp hole on my large is 0.170" in diameter.  My Maverick probes are 0.178" and 0.182" in diameter, so they won't fit the hole on my egg.  The DigiQ probes are 0.126" in diameter and will easily fit the probe hole.  I doubt that all dome temp probe holes are created equal, so check yours.  @theyolksonyou should be able to tell us if it's possible to enlarge the hole without screwing up the ceramics.

The dome temp can easily be plus or minus 30 degrees of the grid temp on an indirect cook.  My last cook showed the dome temp to be 25 degrees low for most of the cook ... then in the 11th hour it jumped 50 degrees to be 25 degrees above the grid for the rest of the cook.  Go figure.

The bottom line is this: folks cook food like ribs anywhere from 225 degrees to 350 degrees (turbo).  The turbo folks claim the food tastes just as good as the low-n-slow cooked food.  If that's true, then focusing on keeping the temps (grid or dome) in the plus or minus 5 degree range is stupid ... plus or minus 25 degrees is about average ... plus or minus 75 degrees means you might be drinking a little too much.

Truth in advertizing: I'm a grid temp person when cooking low-n-slow.  Yep, you have to pay attention to where the probe is being placed, but I like to know what's happening at protein level.  Since there's only one place for the dome temp probe, that solves the placement problem for the "domers."  But, the dome thermometer will yield different results if the plate setter leg shields or exposes the probe.

Bottom line ... airflow inside our eggs is turbulent, thus all probe location readings can be suspect. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    ... He recently did a study on grid vs dome. Also, I don't think the maverick probe will for in the OEM hole. I think he has the measurements on that as well. 
    ..... Bottom line ... airflow inside our eggs is turbulent, thus all probe location readings can be suspect. 
    What are you....flying Big Green Egg air.  :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    4Runner said:
    ..... Bottom line ... airflow inside our eggs is turbulent, thus all probe location readings can be suspect. 
    What are you....flying Big Green Egg air.  :)
      Absolutely not ... they keep dropping my lump through the cracks.

Damn but that's a poor pun ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I am all in as a dedicated "domer".  Make sure whatever you use is accurate and run with it.  Suppose you had two or three speedometers in your car and all read differently...Yup-too much information.  Same with the the BGE-get comfortable with how it cooks with a given thermo and use that.  Don't sweat variances-they exist.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Dome only here. No Maverick or other temperature device. 

Hasn't failed me yet. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    "The dome temp hole on my large is 0.170""

Good to know. I will sleep better tonight. 
    :o 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Like many here I was a "measure anything you can" guy... Until I left my Maverick grate probe in the egg during a clean burn. 

Now I'm a "dome only" guy - and I don't do clean burns.  I do occasionally cook pizza and get a clean egg as a byproduct. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX