Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Experimenting with flavor!

Options
watergirlb
watergirlb Posts: 21
Ok gang, I have been cooking on my LBGE for a couple of years now, and after using tried and true flavor combos, I have decided to do something a little different.  Today I have a smaller pork butt (about 5 lbs - it's just me and my husband for dinner) on the Egg today for some pulled pork.  The butt sat overnight in a Ziploc bag with an entire bottle of Allegros Balsamic marinade.  I fired up the Egg and soaked equal amounts of cherry and pecan chunk wood.  The butt was coated in straight molasses and rubbed with my own concoction of dry rub.  I used paprika, black pepper, dry mustard, kosher salt, brown sugar, chives and a touch of clove.  250-275 degrees on the Egg.  Updates to follow today. If any of you have some rub recipes or flavor combos that are different and delish, I'd love to try them!

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2015
    Options

Looks like you have the flavor section cornered, watergirlb. Your rub recipe rocks and that slab of meat looks great.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks like it will be wonderful.

I'm not familiar w. the Allegro marinade, but it's ingredient recipe looks good.

"Touch" of clove is the proper amount for me. I've made a few things w. small amounts of clove, but more than a touch, and I can't taste anything else.

I've been messing around w. a Korean style pulled pork, Bo Ssam. You might like to look over some variations of that. On the one hand, its much like Carolina PP. Pork butt roasted till falling apart, served w. a sauce and a pickled cabbage salad, but on a leaf of lettuce, not a bun. The sauce can be very different. So far, it has been mostly enjoyable for that strangeness. Not unpleasant, but a lot of "hmmm, what IS this?"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    your recipe sounds close to vinha de aholes, a portuguese dish, i braise mine in cubes instead of low and slow
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147434/braised-pork-butt

did this one braised last weekend, has a strong mexican flavor, been eating it for lunch all week
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182008/chorizo-spiced-pulled-pork#latest

ive done this cuban version several times for new years, lechon asado
    different and very tasty pull

Pork, Butt, Lechon Asado, Mojo, WDAN, Cuban

As I mentioned during the December holidays, I did a low 'n slow pork butt called Lechon Asado for New Years' Eve. Oh yeah, baby! If you are looking for yet another excuse to do L&S pork butt, but want it different than traditional Carolina pull, try this! My guests loved it and I actually liked it too (I'm my own worst critic).While this is a Cuban Christmas Eve roast-a-whole-pig thing, I approximated it by doing a 9.5 lb pork butt on the egg.

INGREDIENTS:
    Marinade (do it for 24 hrs)
    12-15 Cloves as many as you're willing to mince) cloves garlic
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    2 tsp cumin (ground)
    2 tsp oregano (dried)
    1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs olive oil
    It would be best if you can do this in a food processor and get it to turn out like a thick salad dressing...I was lazy and just hand-blended it all in a bowl...but it seemed to work just fine.
    After 12- 24 hrs of marinating, egg the pig indirectly at a dome temp of 250-ish until meat internal temp is 200 -- just like you're doing a pull. My 9.5 lb butt needed a little over 20 hrs. I used some peach wood in the lump intead of doing my normal hic
    The meat had a decidedly different flavor than the normal fair and was further differentiated by the Mojo sauce:
    MOJO SAUCE
    1 cup olive oil
    12 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
    1 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste (~1 tsp)

Procedure:
    1 Simmer all this in a sauce pan for about 20 minutes or so. Serve as a side dip for the pork.
    2 Embellishments:
    3 The meat is different than traditional pull, but not overwhelmingly so. The mojo does it right, but as someone mentioned when I first posted my intention of doing this cook, traditional Carolina vinegar sauce would be absolutely outstanding with this meat (refer to legendary Elder Ward documentation).
    4 If you're looking for a different kind of pull, try this! The Cuban thing was a smash hit at my Anglo house. Black beans and rice were a perfect complement, not to mention the music!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: WDAN

Source: BGE Forum, WDan, 2004/01/07

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • watergirlb
    watergirlb Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes and suggestions gang!  The pork came out delish!  It had a good flavor profile especially the bark (it had a light bite!) Ha!  We are working on it fast, had sandwiches the second night with nice crisp claussen hambuger slices. Perfect.
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Looks superb!
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Pork is used in many cuisines. Look up recipes for roast pork in cookbooks from your favorite cuisines and cook them in the egg instead of the oven. Use pork butt instead of pork loin and go easy on the smoke. 

Family favorites here include using mojo for a Cuban flavor and Bavarian spice for a traditional roast pork flavor. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.