Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg: Transport Question

Options
My purchase was officially processed yesterday.  We will be picking up our large BGE on July 25.  We are purchasing a demo unit (brand new and used once at Eggfest and sold immediately afterwards) for a pretty reasonable price.  

We have to pick the egg up an hour after the cook ends, so it will be pretty warm.  

I am curious if anyone has any recommendations on how to transport our baby home? It will be about a 50 mi trip on the interstate.

Looking forward to becoming a regular in the community!

Comments

• mikelove
    mikelove Posts: 15
    Options
    I take a metal ash bucket and remove the warm coals with some metal scoops of some kind. Then I take out the fire ring, platesetter and firebox with silicon gloves. then everything will cool down faster. After about an hour it should be cool enough to transport. Do not try to cool it with water
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Question, I'm wondering how much $$ you actually are saving on a 'one time' used egg. I was looking @ The SoCalFest website, and yeah you can save $245.00, but (at least their eggs) they don't come with a platesetter ($100) and it doesn't come with egg mates ($100 dollars) with were both included in my new egg when purchased from my local dealer.

So, according to my math ... you save $45 dollars?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @SoCalTim large egg + nest + conveggtor for 800. on my calculation from my local dealer it saves me $300
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Take the innards out of it....
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Most festivals will remove the ash and lump from the egg and either run fans thru them or place water pans with ice in them to radiantly cool the eggs down.  It will be cool enough where you'll be able to lift from the lower vent opening without a problem.  Bring some tie-down straps and a blanket or two for padding. 

Mine was a festival egg from here in GA.  It made the over 120 mile trip home with no problems other than making my Ford Explorer smell AWESOME afterwards!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Same here mine was from a fest, they make sure you are fine when its loaded, or at least they did here.
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    n00b said:
    @SoCalTim large egg + nest + conveggtor for 800. on my calculation from my local dealer it saves me $300
    @n00b  .. Go with me on this, the MSRP on a L is $1190 - $800 hundred dollars is not the norm from a dealer ( You did get an awesome deal thou) .. so by my calculations, my math is correct. A total saving of $45 dollars .. I think I'd rather buy brand new. It's the better deal.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think the deal is fine close to what I paid. My fest we also paid no sales tax and I got some side tables. That price is close to the fest prices this year here in pnw. You are not walking out of a dealer without paying $1k+ before taxes here.
    Seattle, WA
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We bring 4 ceramic cookers to BBQ comps and I made this system to move the grills from A to B.  Not shown in this picture is a 10" round 2x thick cardboard disc that the fire box sets on.  The vertical pieces are 3-4 inch wide cardboard 17" long.  The cross pieces protecting the fire ring from the fire box are 3-4 inches wide and 18 3/8" long.  We also put a large cardboard round disc with fairly dense foam glued to it under the egg base to further cushion it (between the wood box and BGE base).  No issues so far moving the grills.  We also use a pot lifter (check amazon) to physically lift the grill, a indispensable piece of equipment in my opinion.   For comps we use the kick ash baskets and immediately remove them after turn in and open the lids slightly to begin cool down.

Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • n00b
    Options
    would you recommend stashing it in the back of the jeep/tahoe? or we have a flat bed trailer that we use with a hitch on the vehicle?
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Ours get hauled in a 17 ft double axel trailer with grills located near axel lines.  It would certainly work in a tahoe as long as you have height clearance to load it on.  Then you would not need the large round disc we place between the egg and wooden carrier.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    As I said earlier, it fit perfectly inside my Explorer that's 10 years old.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Take the guts out and place on something soft and place it in the front seat and buckle it in...

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    n00b said:
    @n00b  .. Go with me on this, the MSRP on a L is $1190 - $800 hundred dollars is not the norm from a dealer ( You did get an awesome deal thou) .. so by my calculations, my math is correct. A total saving of $45 dollars .. I think I'd rather buy brand new. It's the better deal.
    @SoCalTim, my dealer seals the large at $700+tax for just the egg.  He has a package deal with the large egg, nest, side tables, ash tool, starter sticks and a 20 lb bag of BGE lump for $1000+tax.  The XL plate setter (conveggtor) is about $100, I believe the large is $50 or $60, but @n00b is getting it along with his buy.  I think he is getting a good deal, but I have heard that the large from an Eggfest with what he is getting will go for about $750.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    n00b said:
    @SoCalTim, my dealer seals the large at $700+tax for just the egg.  He has a package deal with the large egg, nest, side tables, ash tool, starter sticks and a 20 lb bag of BGE lump for $1000+tax.  The XL plate setter (conveggtor) is about $100, I believe the large is $50 or $60, but @n00b is getting it along with his buy.  I think he is getting a good deal, but I have heard that the large from an Eggfest with what he is getting will go for about $750.  
    Thinking, the farther west you go (Los Angeles) the more expensive the egg is.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    That could be true.  My dealer had the best prices on Eggs then the other dealers and same goes for KJ and Primo.  That's the first reason I went with them.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    SoCalTim said:
    n00b said:
    In North Texas, the naked Large Egg will run about $850 +tax.

This is off the website for the EggFest in the area (Athens, TX). Looks like I'd save about $300 on an egg used for 1 day by sponsored chefs:

Large Demo Eggs will be sold for $770.00 (plus tax), and XLarge Demos will be sold for $970 (plus tax) on the day of the event ONLY.  For this price, you will receive:

• Either One Large Big Green Egg OR One XLarge Big Green Egg
    • One Egg Nest (Stand)
    • One Plate Setter
    • One Ash Tool
    • One Instant Fire Starter
    • One Bag of Premium BGE Charcoal
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mdsteelerfan
    Options
    First post, bought my large egg 3 months ago in md for 839 for egg, nest & place setter. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Taken a Large from Tx to Fl lots of times. Look how B&BKnox shows the pic above with cardboard. Only dif is mine stays in the Nest in the back of the Toyota PU. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    SoCalTim said:
    n00b said:
    You hit the nail on the head right there!!!

I've only dealt with one dealer who gave me a deal on my MM. Most dealers here in SoCal are charging retail prices because they CAN. 
  • SJB
    SJB Posts: 2
    Options
    I looked at the SoCal demo eggs but transport without taking dome off was a deal breaker.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    @n00b where is the eggfest at? The one is Pittsburgh is that same day. Just wondering if I'll see you there!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • n00b
    Options
    @n00b where is the eggfest at? The one is Pittsburgh is that same day. Just wondering if I'll see you there!
    yep - pittsburgh! we will be there later in the day to pick up. probably going to stuff it in the back of a suburban. we will have pot lifters and heat resistant gloves in tow. slightly concerned regarding the weight limit on the pot lifters but we shall see. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If you are taking it in the Tahoe, I would either put in on the seat or in the back and wedge it tight. If you put it in the back wrap it in old blankets and then put two tie downs together and then open the seat and drop it down each side. This way you can strap it to the back of the seat. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    I bought mine the same way through a Rib Fest.  The dealer already emptied the fire box and cleaned it out.  It was a little warm but you could handle it OK.

I hauled mine home in the back of my Focus wagon.  I removed the parts, wrapped it in a moving blanket and strapped it in place.  I had another moving blanket laid out to hold the plate setter, fire ring & firebox.  Moving it with the mates attached was a little cumbersome.

I got a helper to set it back in the nest when I got home and put everything back in place.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    n00b said:
    yep - pittsburgh! we will be there later in the day to pick up. probably going to stuff it in the back of a suburban. we will have pot lifters and heat resistant gloves in tow. slightly concerned regarding the weight limit on the pot lifters but we shall see. 
    Awesome!  That dealer is <5 miles from my house (and where I got my Large).  Last year the Eggfest was on-site at their shop and a good time.  I guess they're growing and moving it up to Moraine State Park this year.  Unfortunately I leave for the Outer Banks that Saturday so I'll miss it.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • n00b
    Options
    n00b said:
    Awesome!  That dealer is <5 miles from my house (and where I got my Large).  Last year the Eggfest was on-site at their shop and a good time.  I guess they're growing and moving it up to Moraine State Park this year.  Unfortunately I leave for the Outer Banks that Saturday so I'll miss it.

we sort of found it by dumb luck. My fiancée at the time (now wife) was having her final dress fitting in downtown zelie and I was walking around and found hearth and home. I learned about the deal and took my wife there right away as we had been talking about BGE for a while. Excited to pick it up soon!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I just found this thread, but it looks like it's been going on for a while. Couple of things I thought I'd mention:

1) I think you'll be happy with buying a BGE from an Eggfest. I bought mine from the exact eggfest @SoCalTim was mentioning above, but it was an XL and it was a few years back. I still don't own a PS and (at least at the time) the XL did come with a nest. I couldn't be happier (especially because I picked up an adjustable rig which gives me a lot more flexibility than the PS). Prices do vary quite a bit regionally and somewhat from dealer to dealer.

2) As for moving a used egg on the day of the fest the best advice I can give is don't be in a hurry. The one I got was used to make pizzas so it was well more than an hour before it was ready for moving. The folks at the fest did a great job of pulling the coals out and disposing of them, but it was still several hundred pounds of hot ceramic. A buddy of mine and I ended up taking the dome off and loading the rest into the back of his pickup and that was a good way to transport. We wrapped in old blankets and cinched it down with tied down straps. Bring an extra beer, then drink a bottle of water or two to sober up before you start trying to lift and load, things will go MUCH smoother.

3) One other thing we didn't really consider; you'll have plenty of help around at the fest, but that may not be true when you arrive at home! Me and one friend ended up negotiating stairs and other unforeseen obstacles at the end of a long (but very fun) day. Don't be afraid to call for backup if needed; you can always repay in BBQ!

Enjoy, and post lots of pics around here!

Cheers-
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • n00b
    Options
    How tall is the large egg without the daisy wheel on it? I see that it's 31 inches or so with it on. Curious if it could fit in the back of my wife's Juke