Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash basket for a MiniMax has arrived!!

Options

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    McStew said:
    cazzy said:
    McStew said:
    @Lit I ordered the basket for the exact reasons you stated to cool off faster when tailgating.  I will let you know the results when it arrives 

Would you just dump the leftover lump?
    No I would just let them cool down outside the egg then put them back in. 
    So you would let lump cool down by giving it more oxygen?   =)
    HAHAHA Ok so it might not be there when i get back from the game but my egg will be cooled down 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I bet the KAB lets you cool off the lump by dunking it in your pool more easily too.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So I pull out the hot lump....now I'm looking to safely dump it somewhere while its hot? Hmm.....maybe I just shut down the egg and its going to be hot either way. Result...neutral. 2 high ques ran me $60, I only had one for the mini, these large ones are nice and substantial.
    Seattle, WA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Got mine today!! This product is revolutionary in the Egg world. 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Just ordered...sheesh . Now one new high que for sale.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Oh god Craig is selling something else.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Got mine today!! This product is revolutionary in the Egg world
    Well, that does it for me.  Now I really have to get one.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    I just ordered one for my large and my Mini Max from Dickson Barbeque Center in Toronto. Aguy just can't have too many accessories. 
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Well shipping was blazing fast. Once i set it in, i am wondering how do i get this thing out when its blazing hot.... but i will cross that bridge.
    If anyone needs a High Que for a large or MM, I may be seeling a new one soon if cl cant get rid of it.
    Seattle, WA
  • d16lee
    d16lee Posts: 46
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just ordered one for my large and my Mini Max from Dickson Barbeque Center in Toronto. Aguy just can't have too many accessories. 
    Hey. These guys are couple highway exits from me. I found their prices a bit high, thinking because the neighborhood is full of multi-million dollar homes so rent must be high... (They also run the Home Hardware next door). Folks seem nice. I bought my turkey rack, drip pan and blue hog BBQ sauce from them.

Do you order often from Dickson? How much are they asking for the KAB? 
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    First cook tonight, in all honesty seems like the KAB reduces the layout inside the max and seems to restrict airflow more than a high que would. I did a cook with the PS and woo, getting temps up was a struggle. The woo and PS on top of the KAB seems even more restrictive.

Time will tell , short ribs i did

Seattle, WA
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    First cook tonight, in all honesty seems like the KAB reduces the layout inside the max and seems to restrict airflow more than a high que would. I did a cook with the PS and woo, getting temps up was a struggle. The woo and PS on top of the KAB seems even more restrictive.

Time will tell , short ribs i did

I just used my KAB in my medium this past weekend and I thought the same thing. Egg wouldn't go higher than 400*. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Just ordered...sheesh . Now one new high que for sale.
    Keep it if you have a Mini Woo or the chance of getting one. Works next to the lump on the spider just right. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Updates?  Anybody with more info on this?  I've been thinking of getting the KAB or the High Que for my Mini Max, but would like to hear more feedback like that last few posts about temp problems before I move forward.  Thanks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SkinnyV
    Options
    i have done a few more cooks since, and seasoned a cast iron. It got to 500 no problem so maybe just a learning curve deal for me. Overall its a keeper imo.
    Seattle, WA
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Like others have indicated, I'd also be interested in knowing if the KAB-10HD (MiniMax) size would work in the KJ Jr if anyone knows-- maybe @Irv can weigh in here?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• JNJGoeders
    JNJGoeders Posts: 90
    Options
    @Mickey >> What is a Mini Woo?  I order the woo for the minimax from the ceramic grill store, and I haven't used it yet...is that what you have pictured?  I don't have the spider...where did you get that?

Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Does the KAB sit directly on the bottom of the Egg?  I'm specifically asking about the Mini Max version. Or does it "wedge" itself in where the fire grate would usually sit?  I watched the video on the KAB site but still couldn't tell.

If it sits directly on the bottom of the Egg, does anybody see it creating a problem? 

Thanks in advance!!
    Steve 

• SkinnyV
    Options
    Wedge
    Seattle, WA
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Thanks @SkinnyV !
    Steve 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @mahenryak, I emailed Chad at KAB and he wrote back that the MM KAB won't fit the KJ Jr.  He does plan a Small crossover later that might fit Joe Jr.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mickey >> What is a Mini Woo?  I order the woo for the minimax from the ceramic grill store, and I haven't used it yet...is that what you have pictured?  I don't have the spider...where did you get that?

Yes that is a picture of the Mini-Woo and has a High Que sitting on the bottom part. You can also put a stone there or a Lodge CI. As to the spider, that's what I call the lower level that you see the grid on. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    @mahenryak, I emailed Chad at KAB and he wrote back that the MM KAB won't fit the KJ Jr.  He does plan a Small crossover later that might fit Joe Jr.
    @jaydub58 thank you very much for the information!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• JNJGoeders
    JNJGoeders Posts: 90
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Mickey what is a HiQue?  What does it do, and where do I get one if I need it? Do I need it? Does it void the warranty?  It seems like so many things do...
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    I have a 3 lb brisket on, stabilized at 235 or so earlier...slightly adjusted the vent before leaving this am. Just got back and the mm went out, out with an opening on top and bottom? Never has happened on any egg.... Disappointing.
    Seattle, WA
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I have a 3 lb brisket on, stabilized at 235 or so earlier...slightly adjusted the vent before leaving this am. Just got back and the mm went out, out with an opening on top and bottom? Never has happened on any egg.... Disappointing.
    What happened here skinny?  You think it was the basket?
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    What happened here skinny?  You think it was the basket?
    Not sure to be honest, but I've yet to have a fire go out on 10+ mini low and slow cooks, 0 on the large. My 235 degrees was stable and running close to 2 hours before I left, I just slightly adjusted the vent...I could see it dropping my temp 200 or so but completely out?

The basket does reduce lump and the fire bowl. Add the plate setter, a brisket and now maybe airflow got a little tight? I have not seen others with the issue so maybe a one off situation.
    Jury is still out but hey, I just thought if I do swap it out it can be used if I'm traveling....or heck make a great vegetable basket lined with foil on the large....winner!
    Seattle, WA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @SkinnyV I'm in the same boat as you with my KAB medium. I came close to having a fire die last night due to "excessive" lump burn and reduced capacity. I'm not sold on it yet. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    This just made my whole weekend!!!   :clap: 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    McStew said:
    cazzy said:
    McStew said:
    cazzy said:
    McStew said:
    @Lit I ordered the basket for the exact reasons you stated to cool off faster when tailgating.  I will let you know the results when it arrives 

Would you just dump the leftover lump?
    No I would just let them cool down outside the egg then put them back in. 
    So you would let lump cool down by giving it more oxygen?   =)
    HAHAHA Ok so it might not be there when i get back from the game but my egg will be cooled down 

When I was a kid, Dad had a wire basket he had put together and set it in the gravel driveway; when the food was cooked he'd dump the remaining hot coals (charcoal bricquets, lit with gasoline) into the basket and pour a bucket of cold water over the coals, then collect the remainder to use the next Sunday.

How I wish he was here that I could cook him a steak on my Egg.  :disappointed: 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month