Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block Fathers Day Special

Options

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a block and doing the sear part of a reverse sear on it. Would be nice if they had a sale on the 8x12. Guess I could do 2 of the 8x8 blocks.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I was thinking of getting a block and doing the sear part of a reverse sear on it. Would be nice if they had a sale on the 8x12. Guess I could do 2 of the 8x8 blocks.
    Depending on which size egg you might make sure that they will fit.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Agree. These are great for random events. Especially for those who can't egg in the rain. I especially like using it to get my son involved in cooking. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    quick question-- how do yall store these when not using? any sort of cleaning?
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I bought one last week. I'm worried about heating it too fast on the egg. They recommend slowly heating the block. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    what exactly can I do with one of these.  I see its good for seafood but what else....
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Toxarch
    Options
    Seafood, veggies, steaks, whatever you want. Think of it as a Cast Iron grate.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Marinated shrimp on this is awesome!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    quick question-- how do yall store these when not using? any sort of cleaning?
    I used to let it cool and take a plastic brush and scrub with a little water.  Realized that I was eggcellerating its demise, so now I let it cool and place in my inside pantry until the next time--Here in Florida the moisture from the air slowly eats it up, if left outside.  When I go to use it the next time the previous cooking surface becomes the bottom.  Works well for me and after 15-20 cooks over 5-6? years or so it still is going .  When it finally bits the ashes I will just make small chunks for my salt grinder.
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    Before you start preparing the egg and heating it up, place the salt block in your oven at 250 degrees.  Every fifteen minutes bump the oven temperature by 15-20 degrees until you are close to your desired egg temp.  Move the block into the egg--you're ready to go and no danger of the block breaking.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Before you start preparing the egg and heating it up, place the salt block in your oven at 250 degrees.  Every fifteen minutes bump the oven temperature by 15-20 degrees until you are close to your desired egg temp.  Move the block into the egg--you're ready to go and no danger of the block breaking.  

I have found that when the egg fire gets going around 200F I place the salt block on the grate and let them both come to temp together.  Works every time and I do not heat up the house.

• Handcyclist
    Options
    Good suggestion.  Proves it takes a village to nurture an egger!

Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @walt2015 i let it cool and dry out, then when i'm ready to use it again, a quick rinse under warm water will loosen all the crud off.  i took pictures last time, if i didn't post them i'll put them up again.

has anyone tried the reverse sear with a steak on the salt block? i haven't, not sure if it would work well or not.  I use mine for scallops and vegetables but not much else.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Toxarch
    Options
    There's a guy on youtube that does all his cooking on a salt block. He cooks 2 steaks on the block from start to finish. I think a reverse sear would work.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.