Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB Owners - Burn Rate

Options
I bought a KAB for the medium and have been using it commando (without  the BGE grate) and it seems to burn noticeably more lump to maintain the same temps as before. The KAB doesn't hug the fire bowl so there's a fair amount of available space that is lost as far as lump capacity is concerned. I have not used the fire grate in conjunction with the KAB yet. I almost ran out of lump cooking two pizzas this evening. Before KAB I had never come close to running out of lump. Would you KAB owners kindly share your experiences? 

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    When I got mine, I thought the same thing, but some one on here smarter than me made a valid argument that it doesn't matter because the intake and outlet haven't changed. Idk. I just throw lump at it and cook. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. I think it's more a function of having less lump. 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I've used mine and love it. I have better temp control...longer cooks..faster start up time. And do not notice the using more lump issue. On the ribs and butts if anything I'm using noticeably less now. Recently I loaded up and did ribs. ..then 2 days later did 2 pizzas with vegetables first. Did not reload. MBGE owner here and KAB owner. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So for longer cooks don't you still fill'er up to capacity?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I only have it in the MM. And I've only done cooks and baking 350℉-500℉ so I would like to see the performance in the L&S temp range. But, hot & fast I've definitely noticed more lump usage than w/out the KAB and just using the standard fire grate. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm not so sold on it, reduces lump amount and shrinks the bowl. May be good for traveling , or when u want to pull and dump lump but I'm pretty close to swapping it out for a high que.
    Seattle, WA
  • mahenryak
    Options
    @Jeremiah do you use your KAB for low and slow cooks? 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had KAB in my Large for some time now, and I don't notice any more lump consumption.  I fill it up well above it's handles and let it rip.
    Love it!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited June 2015
    Options
    KAB with grate here.  I can notice the difference with the grate.  No reason without the grate in my opinion. (Large egg anyway)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mahenryak
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I've had KAB in my Large for some time now, and I don't notice any more lump consumption.  I fill it up well above it's handles and let it rip.
    Love it!
    Thanks.  I just purchased one for my large but have only cooked a couple of pizzas with it so far, which turned out just fine.  No issues with temperature but can't really weigh in with only two cooks using the KAB under my belt.  I intend to cook an SRF brisket here in about 10 days or so.  Obviously, I don't want to mess that cook up.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    @Jeremiah do you use your KAB for low and slow cooks? 
    For everything. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I haven't had any issues with not being able to control temps as well or running out of lump during a cook.  I also don't notice that I'm using any more lump than before it just looks like more is in there since the KAB does reduce the size of the firebox with it's design.  I think I'm putting the same in there it's just higher up in the box.  I'm also doing like @Jeremiah just throwing the lump in and going, on all my cooks.  I think that if the design was modified slightly it would be less of an issue as you described.  That said I'm not a welder or have any experience making something like that so I'm not sure if this is possible but it seems to me if the vertical supports and handles that are on the outside of the rings, if they were moved to the inside of the basket/rings it would fit better into the firebox.  When I first put mine in I thought it didn't fit right but then I realized the issue was coming from the support bars/handles being on the outside.  With those on the inside of the basket the circular rings would fit right in the firebox and you would lose less space and the fit would be just about right.  All in all I like it because I was mixing the coals and clearing ash before each and every use so now it's easier to get the ash to the bottom and clean it out.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Guys like I posted in another thread if it does not become every day use for me its going to get lined with foil and become the kick ash vegetable basket for the large.

Now that's kick ash! ;)
    Seattle, WA
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I got one recently for my XL.  Only used it a couple of times.  I did run out of lump on one cook, but I had two briskets on and kept the Egg running for over 20 hours, which is longer than I ever tried before getting the KAB, so I can't say that the basket reduced the cook time.  So far, I love it for cleaning out and getting up to temp when starting a cook.  
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    ...  it seems to me if the vertical supports and handles that are on the outside of the rings ... were moved to the inside of the basket/rings it would fit better into the firebox.  ...
    It would increase the space for more lump ... slightly.  But, I think the main advantage of having the vertical supports and handles on the outside is that it allows more airflow paths to be available along the fire bowl inner wall.  In my large egg, lump volume hasn't been a problem.

Can't remember how many small pieces of lump fell through the OEM grate during a cook, but I suspect that there are more small pieces falling through the KAB. That should be the only increase in consumption when going from OEM to KAB.  

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• mahenryak
    Options
    ^^^Thanks Jeremiah^^^

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Having the KAB doesn't mean you shouldn't load lump above the handles of the KAB. Having the KAB in place shouldn't cause any difference as far as lump consumption.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    I've only used my KAB twice, both without the grate, any reason to use the grate?
    Birmingham, AL
  • Rickl
    Rickl Posts: 23
    Options
    It seems to me that, for a long low and slow, you would have to substantially overfill the KAB with lump.  So, when you get ready for your next cook, and you pull the KAB out to shake out the ash, wouldn't a good deal of usable lump that is between the KAB and the fire box just fall right through the fire box into the base?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you leave the stock fire grate in place, using a KAB should not change the amount of lump burnt to maintain any temp. The size of the fire dictates the amount of lump burnt. Use of a KAB doesn't change the thermal requirements needed to maintain the temp.

however, if the stock fire grate is removed, it will use more lump. First, small unburnt pieces can fall into the ash pit. Second, some of the radiant heat that normally gets reflected back up into the cooking chamber will increase heat loss through the bottom of the egg. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Rickl said:
    It seems to me that, for a long low and slow, you would have to substantially overfill the KAB with lump.  So, when you get ready for your next cook, and you pull the KAB out to shake out the ash, wouldn't a good deal of usable lump that is between the KAB and the fire box just fall right through the fire box into the base?
    I never shake my KAB between cooks, when I know my ash content below is getting near a cleaning, then I don't add a full load of lump.  This way I know the remaining lump will stay in the basket when it's time to clean the ash .  the basket is so open, I never worry that the ash needs shaking, I only pull my basket when it's time to clean ash and I make sure my last cook will cook down the lump enough spilling lump isn't a problem.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I've had mine about a year and it has been in the large egg from day one .The best and I mean the best add on for the egg . Shake it down into the dirt with every cook ,truly kicks ass . The KAB and Smokeware cap are the two must haves for the Egg!!!!!
  • Rickl
    Rickl Posts: 23
    Options
    sctdg said:
    I've had mine about a year and it has been in the large egg from day one .The best and I mean the best add on for the egg . Shake it down into the dirt with every cook ,truly kicks ass . The KAB and Smokeware cap are the two must haves for the Egg!!!!!

So, do you never overfill the KAB?  Otherwise, it just seems that lump would fall onto the grate or into the base when you remove the KAB.  Not to beat a dead horse, just trying to decide whether to pick one of these up next time I go to the driving range.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I dunno. I haven't read a compelling scientific reason supporting those that claim lump consumption is the same with the KAB. And do I have a scientific reason supporting my suspicion that lump consumption is increased with the KAB?... no. LOL. But in my simple mind, it goes something like this:

KAB = more airflow (at all equivalent vent settings compared to no KAB)
    More airflow = air is passing through the egg faster and exiting faster
    If air is passing through the egg faster, more lump is ignited faster (i.e., fire spreads quicker)
    If more lump is ignited, temperatures are higher (at all equivalent vent settings compared to no KAB)
    If temperatures are higher, lump is expended faster

I'm sure what I said is fundamentally flawed and not based in any scientific reason, but seems to make sense to me. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    bweekes said:
    If more lump is ignited, temperatures are higher (at all equivalent vent settings compared to no KAB)
    If the temps are higher, even without the KAB, then the lump consumption is higher.  Got to keep the temps equal for a grate-to-grate comparison.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    When I got mine, I thought the same thing, but some one on here smarter than me made a valid argument that it doesn't matter because the intake and outlet haven't changed. Idk. I just throw lump at it and cook. 
    If you think of the airflow in the Egg as having a multiple air valves, 1 being the lower vent on the Egg, 2nd being what ever type of vent you are using on the dome, 3rd being the lump grate/KAB and 4th being how well the air passes through the lump depending on size and depth of lump. So many variables...being a medical photographer, it's above my math skills but I think more is in play than just upper and lower vents. But Royal Oak is cheap so I don't care.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I don't have a dog in the KAB fight and prolly won't but it takes the same amount of heat and lump to maintain 350 if you are running stock or the basket.  Only way you are burning more lump is A - you've changed to a lesser dense lump or B - your dome thermo is off and you are burning hotter than you think.  

Heat is heat and the KAB,HighQue or fish bone just give you more air. If anything changes it will be your vent settings to maintain xxx temp. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    bweekes said:
    If the temps are higher, even without the KAB, then the lump consumption is higher.  Got to keep the temps equal for a grate-to-grate comparison.

I'm assuming when people claim they are burning more (or the same amount of) lump, they mean using the the KAB at the same vent setting, when compared to not using the KAB. But I get what you're saying. We do agree that when temps are higher, more lump will be consumed.   
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    For me, I'm used to filling the egg with lump. Use the egg for whatever I'm cooking, shut it down. When I go back to the egg for the next cook, I see whether I need more lump for the cook I'm doing.

The problem is if you fill the KAB with too much lump and don't burn through it, how do you shake the ash out without making more of a mess with the leftover lump falling out as well? Maybe not even being able to get to the handles because of the lump.

There's just too much thinking involved. More lump, less lump, will I be able to shake the ash out, will lump fall out during the shake, etc. When all I have to do is use my HiQ grate, stir the old lump around and be done, SIMPLE!

I thought the KAB would make things easier for me, but instead made things too complicated. That's the reason why it's just an ornament now.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I think some of you are thinking you have more airflow, when what you really have is better airflow.  If you truly had more airflow then you would be at higher temps because airflow directly relates to lump burn rate.  If anything you should be closing your vents slightly more to compensate the better airflow through the lump.  If your vents are open the same as before the KAB and getting the same temps you used to then the KAB is not doing anything for airflow.  Scientifically there should be no difference in how much is burned, because X amount of airflow will equal Y temperature. I think others that have said that you just add less because of how the KAB sits in there are more likely right
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada