Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not sure I understand

Options
Earl
Earl Posts: 468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I have done pulled pork a few times, however, i have read from time
to time how long to cook per pound. Question, how long for a small
shoulder weighing 3.5 lbs. If i understand, this should be done in
just 9hrs at 2.5hrs per lb. It went on at 10pm last night & internal temp is now at 181 & egg temp is 225. I would guess it will still
take a few more hrs to get to 200. Is there something i am not taking
into consideration, such as the stall time that Davidm mentioned in
his post just below.

Earl

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Earl,[p]Time and temp targets are approximations at best. If this is a particularly thick piece it will take longer than a thinner one that weighs more. Try sticking a fork in the butt; if it twists easily, it's pullable, even if the internal temp is only 185.[p]Cathy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Earl, I'm not a big believer in the per/pound cooking time for butts. I've done 5lb-8.5lb butts and they all seem to take about 18-20 hours at 225 dome temp. [p]I agree with Cat - use the fork test. It's the best way to judge. Good luck!

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Thanks Cat and Gord. We checked the pork at 187 F, and the outside was just slightly dry, but the inside was moist and tender with a wonderful taste. We just wrapped it in tin foil and a towel and placed it in a cooler. We will wait for a couple hours until it is dinner time. Thanks again.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Earl,
    I often guess-timate 3 hrs per lb on butts - here is quote from my website:[p]Approx cooking times for pork butt or picnic roasts.[p] 2.5 hr per pound if over 7lbs
    3 hr per lb if under 5 lbs[p] This is based on cooking indirect at 225 deg [p]I certainly agree - times will vary.[p]Tim

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Cat,[p]Hence the sports-cooking cliche, "You can stick a fork in that one."