Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
loin9.jpg
<p />I did a 2+ lb beef tenderloin for 5 people last night. I have done one before but I did it indirect. This time I wanted to sear the outside more and so I was going direct over the fire. I liked GFW's idea to sear it and then slow cook it at 200 deg until done. Well, nothing works right the first time all the time so I had to do some fancy foot work to save it. It turned out darn good in the end! I got Humpty upto 600 deg to sear the tenderloin. I wanted to stay low so I could sear the meat and then drop the Egg temp and cook it for 45-60 until done at 200. Well that didn't work well. As I and many others have said - you can't lower the temp of the Egg to easily after it's real hot. That is so true!! I seared this tenderloin and removed it for 15-20 min while I tried to lower the dome temp to 250. I could not get it lower than 350 so I tossed it on at 350 and cooked it for 30 min. The internal temp was almost 70 after the searing and guests were not even there yet. Timing the Egg meal is tough sometimes. We ate a little earlier than eggspected but the tenderloin turned out well. Next time I know it will take 30-40 min and I will sear it and just keep cooking until done. You just can't lower the Egg temp quickly - it was 2 hrs before it went to 225 and thats with the cap on and vent closed. [p]Tim

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, the tenderloin looks great - the heat thing (and the inability to lower the bGE temp) is one reason why I seared it in a pot on the stove - I'll bet it sure tasted good!!!!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Tim M,
    The meal looks great,but you need to buy a small egg to sear the tenderloin and then finish it on your large, and you can take the little one to the beach when you go.
    YB

• Tim M
    Gfw,[p]Yea, you can't get the Egg to cool down to fast!! Having a mini to sear and the large to then slo cook it would have been perfect. I have found that cooking with the Egg is tricky to get the food done when you want it - sometimes you have to go with the flow and eat when Humpty says to. Next time I will sear it and lower the temp to 350-400 and finish it in 30-40 min. I guess thats why we are here - to eggspeiment so others will not have to.[p]
    Tim

• Tim M
    YB,[p]Eggactly!![p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tim M, There is a way to sear at high temps and to reduce the internal heat by a drastic amount and continue the cook at a lower temperature. :-)[p]One of my secret methods passed down to me by my great great uncle Jeramia, who was assistant cook and potato peeler on the first boat to China. He watched em tossing fish in those clay ovens over there. He scratched it down on a parchment envelope with a 1/10 pence stamp on it. I totally forgot about it till your post...I think I might go ahead and forget about it again..heeeeeee.
    Cheers..C~W[p][p]

• YB, I never thought much about the smaller models after using the Big-un, but you and others have brought me to realize that the idea of a small or mini is perfect for searing, and as a travel companion. I hope Guru remembers this post next Christmas. He always picks the best gifts for me,,, he always shops BGEggquarters. My buddy:)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Yeah! I did another filet mignon for yesterday on the small egg. YB is right on. Others have also said it. The small sears up some serious steaks. 200 bucks is less than you spend for most of those Harley Accessories! Go get one today. [p]It was nice being able to get the large ready for the brisket while humpty junior seared away.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Tim M and everyone else, Thanks for these good tips. I've always been too afraid to do a whole tenderloin on the BGE. I'm suddenly inspired by Julia, Jacques and all of you. A Chateaubriand shall be my next attempt. It's going to have to warm up a little though; there is 8" of snow covering my eggs. Bummer. JCA
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    J Appledog,
    Aw, come on! Brush them guys off, and fire em up.
    Nothing beats cooking in the bitter cold!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals,
    With a buddy like that, its no wonder you two are almost married! Yuk! Yuk! [p]Dr. C

• Tim,[p]You might want to try searing it at the end of the cooking period. Smoke it 'till the internal is about 100* and then crank the heat to sear it until it reaches 130* for medium rare. I think this is a great "combination" technique with a lot going for it. You get the smoke flavor and the hard sear (which a tenderloin needs). [p]Looks great anyway BTW. You saved it.
  • Tim M
    Nature Boy,[p]Oh its not the money - my wife said no more BBQ's for awhile. Maybe Spring![p]You know what the initials HD stands for other than Harley Davidson? Hundred Dollar - if you own a Harley you would agree. Its a hundred for this and that and 3x for that. [p]Tim
  • Tim M
    J Appledog,[p]What is the difference between a part beef tenderloin and a Chateaubriand? I thought they were the same thing just not a whole tenderloin (a filet mignon for two). [p]I lived in Grand Blanc, Mi 2 years and I use to travel over your way alot. Its cold up there for sure but the Egg doesn't care - go grill something.[p]Tim
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Nature Boy, We've just returned from a couple of weeks in the Spanish Virgin Islands. It will take me a few more days before I'm ready to brave the elements! I cooked on my mini almost every night last February (back in the old days, when most of the forum folk thought that a mini wasn't a real grill...). My husband had abandoned me for a job in Vail for several weeks. The forum was my lifeline and thanks to all on it, I created some of the best meals of my life. And I sure made some good friends!
  • Char-Woody
    J Appledog, Welcome to the club..What was your name again?
    Heeee. C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Char-Woody,[p]What's a "mini"? hehe.[p]Spin

• Ed Earl
    Ed Earl Posts: 28
    Tim M,
    I sear at 600* for a couple a minutes on each side with the top closed, then start cooling egg down by finishing the sear with the top open and the bottom draft closed. You will get a feel for the correct time to close the lid and put the finishing touch on your loin.[p]looks good!!!
    EdEarl

• Char-Woody
    Spin, I would ask, but she would cut off from her mustard supply :-(
    BTW..send me some info on Micron!!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Tim M,
    I did a 2.80# beef tenderloin last Tuesday. I rubbed a little olive oil on it and seared it in a HOT pan on the stove. Then I put on an herb and oil mixture/rub on it and cooked it at 275* on the EGG for about 45-50 minutes. Pulled it off when it reached 125* on the Polder. It was great. The searing on the stove didn't impair the smoke flavor from getting into the meat.[p]One side note...if the tenderloin isn't one SOLID piece of meat (meaning that it doesn't look like a big, red pork tenderloin), you should tie it up with kitchen twine. That will allow the meat to cook evenly throughout.[p]JimW

• Tim M,[p]As I understand it the chateaubriand is merely the center part of a whole tenderloin roast. Supposedly the most succulent part though any filet's good with me! usually around 3 to 4 inches thick.[p]According to French tradition I believe it's the "Lover's Cut" often served on a special occasion such as an anniversary. Problem is that you can only have one anniversary a year and a chateaubriand is so good, especially with bernaise sauce, that I'm always finding occasions to eat it! =)

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Seattle Todd,
    I am surprised that no one has a tried a Beef Wellington with Puff Pastry yet.[p]Wait a minute …[p]… I am sensing a hint of airs[p]… Somebody PBR Me ASAP [p]Thanks KennyG[p]R&J