Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peruvian Chicken

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
I love a good spatchcock and I love a good Peruvian chicken.
I have been trying to get my spatchcocks to taste a bit more like that very flavorful herb rubbed chicken we get at the rotisserie restaurants around here.  They're all over the place.

I'm giving this Jenn Segal recipe a try, but I'm cooking it using the Naked Whiz spatch method, which is common to folks here.   So, that means I used her rub and her dipping sauce, then will go over to traditional BGE spatch method for cooking.

This is the rub.  The only change I made was I added a heavy teaspoon of corn starch to it.  I'm not sure if it'll make a difference but in the past it has helped crisp up my chickens.   Or maybe that's all in my head.  Nobody really knows...

This is it smeared on the chicken and under the skin anywhere every I could jam it in (her recipe said get 2/3 of it under the skin and the rest on the outside.  I should say that most Peruvian chicken I get is more of a greenish herbal rub and less red.  I'm guessing they skip the paprika in her recipe and focus more on the oregano, lemon and garlic (this recipe is lime).  But it still has a good bit of oregano in it and smells great!

And below is the green dipping sauce.  It is awesome at Peruvian restaurants.  I could drink this stuff!   This recipe is pretty good, but is a little less spicy and less green than others I have tried.  I think I'll use less mayo, more peppers and more cilantro next time, BUT, it has a great bite from the lime juice and the jalapenos.  It is no slouch of a dipping sauce!  There is a better chance of SWMBO liking this sauce than the ass blaster spice level usually served.

The bird has been cleaned, spatched, dried, and rubbed.
It is resting uncovered in the fridge. 
I'll let you know how it goes...

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Looks good!  i'm sure it will taste great.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Get it on the egg!

XLBGE 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I have to try this.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  I do a Peruvian receipt I like a lot, I think it was from Serious Eats.  Good stuff.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    A must try never even heard of it!
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Get it on the egg!
    It's on!

And it smells great.  Wow.   We'll see, though...
    CPARKTX said:
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  I do a Peruvian receipt I like a lot, I think it was from Serious Eats.  Good stuff.
    Would love to hear the rub you use and if you have a green spicy sauce that you like.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    In the immortal words of SGH, "Standing by."

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Ohhhh yeaaahhhh, cook it....
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Can't wait to hear about the finished cook. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Mm mmmm going to be delicious!
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Alrighty then...  cooked.  eaten.  cleaned up!
    The results-

Cracked the egg after an hour where the grate temp hovered mostly near 400 (I was going for 375) and the 4.6lbs bird looked done.

(there darker skin areas are where I got the rub/marinade under the skin). 
    While the bird looked done, the tops of the legs weren't really as dark as I would like them.  I checked temps and they were good everywhere (180 in thighs, 160 in breast) BUT in the back of the breast it was about 155 still.  So, since I wanted it crisper anyway, I flipped the bird and let it go for another 8-10 minutes.

Then it looked liked this-

Tented it with foil for a bit and sliced her up...

All the parts and about half of the breast meat...

This was a very fork tender bird.  Juicy.  Cooked through.  And the marinade flavor permeated everywhere.  Not too strong, but I could taste it and a faint taste from the charcoal.  It was very good.

I'd definitely use this RUB/marinade again some time. 
    SWMBO'd loved it as did the kids.

The sauce, on the other hand, I wasn't crazy about...

It was more of a green garlic cream sauce than it was the traditional jalapeno herb sauce flavoring I'm served in restaurants.  So, I'll keep looking for a good green Peruvian sauce recipe, or else I can tweak this one.  (cut the sour cream and mayo in half, double everything green, and go easy on the garlic).

So in the end, if I was able to edit the post I would call it,
    "Not Quite Peruvian Chicken, but a damn good marinade!"

Thanks for reading.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I feel inspired... Thank you...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks like a good meal @KiterTodd.  My wife is from Peru and we love pollo a la brasa.  As I am sure you know from doing research, recipes for pollo a la brasa vary greatly, but we found a new one in the Limanian Spanish language newspaper that we will try and will translate into English assuming that it is the real deal.  Also, my wife makes a sauce similar to your green sauce that is phenominal, especially on pollo a la brasa, but you need Peruvian yellow pepper (aji Amarillo) to make it - Jalapenos are not native to Peru
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Dude that looks good!!  

Here is one I did a while back. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177489/sunday-supper-peruvian-chicken

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Looks delicious!  Thanks for posting the link to the recipe.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • KiterTodd
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.  
    @QingEsq , would love to see that cook if you try it!   As different as the recipes online are, all the Peruvian restaurants in my area (DC) seem to use a similar method.  Granted, some are better than others but they all have a taste I haven't recreated yet.  I've come close.   Guess next time I eat out I'll have to ask.   I bet it is something simple involving a lot of salt, fresh oregeno, lemon, garlic and olive oil.  Hey, maybe I'll make that....   ;)

LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This looks like another one I'd like to try.  Thanks for sharing!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Quick follow-up here, as today I had leftovers.   LEFTOVERS!!
    And I "fixed" the green sauce.

Basically, I used the same recipe but
    reduced the mayo down to a tablespoon,
    the sour cream to 2 tbsp and
    added more cilantro,  put some parsley in there, more lime
    and some crushed red pepper since the jalapenos I had were not that hot.

It was excellent!   I drank it.  :)

The one on the left is from yesterday.  That is really a creamy garlic sauce.  Maybe it'd be better with hotter peppers.  The one on the right has the bright spicy flavor I was looking for.  Sold.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    My stomach literally growled as soon as I saw the pic.  Great meal.  And since itis Peruvian chicken, you gotta remember the french fries!
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    This recipe is on my short list of Egging.  :)