Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting the fire

Options
2»

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use the Rutlands too.  I'll cut it into 4 piece and light in 4 places. Once the flame from the starter is gone I'll shut the dome and wait for the heat. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    setdahook said:
    I mist be the only cheap egger left and go with veg oil soaked napkins just 1 to start up and running by 2nd beer :)

Same here!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Rusty412
    Rusty412 Posts: 24
    Options
    I use a paper towel that is dampened with cooking oil, folded lengthwise.  This lights multiple coals across a 10 inch strip.  Leave the dome open for 10 minutes or so, until the igniter is completely consumed.  I take my ash tool and spread my lit coals around as I want them and set my vent openings.   Wait for clear smoke and put your meat on!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    It all depends on how hard your lump is to get lit, airflow, and how hot you want.  

BTW...when you get tired of buying starter cubes, paper towels soaked with bacon fat (i.e. the paper towel you put on a plate to drain your fresh cooked bacon) work just fine as fire starters.  I keep a bag of them folded up in the fridge...take one out and use as needed to light the egg.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I use an electric starter while the Weber chimney is starting. Just a little head start for the chimney
    Eggo in N. MS
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I use the rutland ones. They work just the same as BGE. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Shave off a couple of slivers of C4, things get hot in a hurry. We used that in the service, got things rocking in no time. But since we do not have access to that, I use a chimney from webber. Never has failed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I use the Weber fire starting cubes. They work well, and are inexpensive (24 cubes for around $3.30). For a low and slow, I use two of them buried in the charcoal, wait about ten minutes after lighting, and close the dome. They work very well.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Weedburner..even for low & slow...just use it for less time. Mesquite I use does spark quite a bit with the weed burner....will be going back to the chimney and cubes til we are thru the summer...
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    I use the Looft Lighter.  Since it's all I have used I don't have any useful info for comparison but I usually get the lump hot enough in 60-90 seconds (per spot).  Once the coals are hot and starting to burn, I'll re-arrange lump, leave the bottom vent wide open and shut the lid with the top wide open.  I'll leave it there until I just get to my target.  Then I'll shut the bottom vent to where I want it, put the daisy wheel on and give an initial adjustment and wait to see where I line out.  Fine tune from there.  Usually in 20-25 minutes I can be at whatever temp I'm shooting for.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Rosco902
    Rosco902 Posts: 26
    Options
    This is all very interesting. I've used the BGE cubes, and am now onto the weber cubes. I like them better. Seem to burn easier/quicker. I lit then closed the lid. I was worried the temp would get too high if you left the lid open for too long at the start. 

So here is a question, how do you stop a rising temp when you've all but closed off the vents?? Did a reverse sear last evening on a steak. Wanted to keep my temp at 275ish. I had maybe a 1/4" on the bottom vent, and maybe somewhat the same for the daisy wheel openings. Yet it still got up to 320ish when I was ready to bump it anyway for the sear. 

Suggestions? 
    NS Canada
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2015
    Options

@Rosco902: How hot did you let the fire get before closing the dome and when did you start closing the vents?

I close the dome for low temp cooks right after I get a good light......about 5 minutes or so, and I'll leave the daisy wheel off until I see a good climb in temperature. I then put the daisy wheel on and leave it open until I'm within about 50 degrees of target. Then I'll close the bottom vent a bit to slow the heat-up down.

I usually lead the temperature and start closing the bottom draft a bump at a time when I'm within about 25 degrees of target temp for a slow cook. I keep tweaking it and the daisy wheel until it hits target temp and stabilizes.

I'll admit I'm an Egg newbie, but I've never had an overshoot doing this and I can keep the temp stabilized. Maybe the more experienced Eggers here have a better method.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Rosco902
    Rosco902 Posts: 26
    Options
    Honestly,  I usually light the cubes, open both vents all the way and close the dome. I havent done any low/slow cooks so usually I start closing things off once they hit 250-300ish, depending on what I'm cooking. 
    NS Canada
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    If I'm shooting for 275, I'll start slowly closing off a bit at a time around 225 - 235 and let it come up slowly so I can stabilize at 275.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Just because it hasn't been said yet, our at least I haven't read it, you can also throw one starter cube underneath the firebox works great too. As said above, fire burns up. This works great for low and slow as you get a nice gentle fire going. You can also use the oil soaked paper towel like this as well.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Smokeysmokerson
    Options
    Rosco902 said:
    Honestly,  I usually light the cubes, open both vents all the way and close the dome. I havent done any low/slow cooks so usually I start closing things off once they hit 250-300ish, depending on what I'm cooking. 
    You haven't done any low and slow cooks?   Crank it up!
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    @Rosco902, if you're aiming for 275, try only 1/8" open on bottom vent. Just barely open at all and adjust the daisy wheel from there
    LBGE | Conroe, TX