Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge CI Skillet

Options
I picked up a 12" Lodge CI skillet today for an upcoming camping trip, as well as some dishes I can't wait to try on the grill (Blackened catfish, burgers, etc).  

Two questions:  1.   Should I season it in the oven first or just roll with it and let it season as I go?   2.    It's peeling right where the handle meets the pan, and I haven't even used it yet.   Is that normal?   My guess is no, and I need to take it back.   I've read good reviews on Lodge brand here, so just thought I'd double check that this is supposed to be a decent CI.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Hmm...  I'd personally take it back and get a new one if its peeling.  Mine didn't do that.  As far as seasoning it, just do what the directions say.  Seems like I remember seasoning mine with oil on the stovetop:  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If it is pre-seasoned it will only get better as you use it. Otherwise like Dyal said follow directions 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    All of Lodge's cast iron that I've seen is pre-seasoned, but will get much better with use (bacon).  Peeling doesn't sound right.  In the long run, it probably won't matter, but if you need to be cooking dinners in it in the immediate future, might want to start out with one where the pre-seasoning was done better.

Have you tried washing it yet?  My Lodge 12" is so heavy, I kind of dread using it, because it's so difficult to wash in the sink without hurting something.  The 10" gets a lot more use.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    The peeling on the handle is just where their seasoning has formed a drip.  It's quite common.  

Whenever I get a new piece of Lodge pre-seasoned, I wipe it with bacon grease or shortening and let it melt on the grill.  Then I wipe the whole thing down so it's shiny and turn upside down on the grill - leave no drips.  I bake it at about 350-400 for 2 hours.  This process is repeated 3-5 times.

Couple more tips - clean under hot water and wipe dry - then wipe it down for storage with some canola oil.  All this sounds like a lot of work, but it really cleans up quicker than non-stick cookware now.  Don't forget to pick up a ringer to make everything quick and simple.

http://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Chainmail/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433387308&sr=8-1&keywords=ringer+cast+iron
    Phoenix