Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork party help?

Options
So i volunteered to do some pulled pork for a party this weekend, the pork is not the only food that will be there. Estimating 130 people, most adults. i was planing on doing 4 butts, approximately 8lbs each(will have the final weights later). Looking for any helpful tips, and rub/ sauce recipes would be appreciated. I have a large, and was initially thinking i could get all 4 on it, but by buddy that also has a large advised that it wouldn't fit, and that i could us his as well. So right now the plan is to use both eggs, was going to do one turbo and one with DigiQ Low and slow. Party is at apx. 1pm Saturday.... 

Comments

• Tenderizer
    Tenderizer Posts: 24
    Options
    I schedule 1/2 lb per person if you have good sides. I would encourage you to search Franklin's pulled pork on you tube..What a fantastic and easy method. Never failed me. Can't comment on space concerns. Good luck!!!
    My third child smokes a lot, weights 216 lbs and is greenish...He's my favorite..
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I think you will need more than 4 butts for that many people. Others more experienced will chime in soon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I always figure 1/2 lb per person total food if you have sides so if there is another main that could be OK...........Never underestimate your oven as a tool in such cooks, I think you can get 4 on your large and you could use your oven to help
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    then mix the pulled pork from both.... sneaky
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    4 x 8lb butts for 130 people? Are there multiple main dishes and plenty of sides? Like mentioned, don't overlook the use of the oven if needed.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• MHambone9
    MHambone9 Posts: 10
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    4 x 8lb butts for 130 people? Are there multiple main dishes and plenty of sides? Like mentioned, don't overlook the use of the oven if needed.
    There is 2 or 3 other main dishes plus a bunch of sides so I'm not going too crazy
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Since everyone else is commenting on whether or not 4 butts is enough I'll jump in on preparation and seasoning.  Rub all 4 butts Thursday night 70-30 bad byrons and DP swamp venom.  Let them sit covered in your fridge until 6 or so on Friday.  Around 6 on Friday fire up your egg.  Get the temp to 250 and let it stabilize.  While the egg is stabilizing inject your butt with whatever you desire.  I buy a commercial injection.  Inject every square inch of all the butts.  They place them on the eggs.  Fat side up or down, doesn't matter.  They should be ready to come off the egg around 11am on Saturday then you can rest them in a cooler for an hour or two.  One last thing,  use plenty of smoking wood.  I prefer pecan. A 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I would be MORE than glad to help - I LOVE helping people eat PP.  :)  We did 3 butts for ~45 peeps, but you already said this isn't the only entree... I have an XL and recently did one 7lb butt 10PM Friday to ~1:30 Saturday afternoon.  If you get the egg stabilized at least 45 minutes BEFORE you put on the meat, you should be good to go. It will drop initially a bit with the cold meat, but should come back to where you stabilized it.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Hambone, I would do more than 4 but that is your call. I did a wedding for my niece and I did the butts a few days before, pulled, vacuumed sealed, froze, when we were ready to serve we heated up sealed bags in hot water opened bags and served. I think that was the best pulled pork ever there is something about vacuum sealing and letting all the juices come together.  Just a thought. Good Luck my friend I'm sure it will turn out wonderful however you do it.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • MHambone9
    MHambone9 Posts: 10
    Options

A little late but thanks for the help. All of it went, all! 2 were a little dryer than the others one from each egg. They were the smaller ones, I think I should have rotated them maybe front to back? I definitely am getting another DOT thermometer from Thermoworks so I can have one in each piece of me.