Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now That's Italian! Pork Braciole and Chewy Italian Rolls

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
Life has conspired to leave me with little time for grilling and even less time for posting, but here is something good I made from Smoke IT LIKE A Pro, plus some rolls from the King Arthur Flour website. I will let the pictures show what Pork Braciole is. 

The rolls had very simple ingredients, but great flavor. They used All-Purpose Flour, White Whole Wheat Flour, water and instant yeast.

The dough was kneaded in the stand mixer and put in a dough doubling pail to rise.

After the rise you had a smooth and supple dough.

The dough was pressed out into a rectangle and divided into 8 pieces.

The rolls were dusted with flour and brought out to my baking Egg which my new DigiQ had brought up to 450 while I was in the kitchen working. I had the AR setup for indirect baking with the pizza stone at level 1.5 and the s/s grill grid and Big Green Egg pizza stone at level 6. This put the rolls up into the dome about 2" above the felt line.

The rolls are done. It is hard to tell from looking, but the bottoms were done and I checked the internal temp of several with my Thermapen.

Time to start the Pork Braciole. The filling used: Shredded parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, diced pancetta, pepperonchinis, diced onions and diced jalepenos. Italian seasoning blend, salt & black pepper and olive oil rounded out the ingredients.

The ingredients for the filling are mixed together.

The filling was spread over some pork steaks cut from a Boston butt. The meat was brushed with the olive oil and  seasoned  inside and out with the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.   The steaks were 1/2" thick and the butcher had pounded them down to 1/4" thick for me so I was good to go as soon as I unwrapped them.

The pork steaks were wrapped pinwheel roast style and tied. They went on the Egg and were cooked raised direct using my AR. It took around 30 minutes and I checked the internal temps of several pieces with my Thermapen. The dripping fat from the pork made for some tasty smokey flavor in the finished product.

Everything was transported over to my parents house while the pork was resting and while the pork was being sliced, we heated up some rice. The Pork Braciole had amazing flavor and was rather spicy with the pepperonchini and jalepeno. I think it even had a bit of  smoke ring too, which you can see in the photo about. It definitely tasted like great grilled food does. Even though the rolls had 4 simple ingredients they were excellent and I am embarrassed to say I couldn't stop eating them. This was an excellent meal all round. 

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments